gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Next Mission - stuck stem quill!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Next Mission - stuck stem quill!!  (Read 829 times)

bigsman

Next Mission - stuck stem quill!!
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:46 AM »
So I've just spent 10 days getting a stuck seatpost out of my GT...now its time to go back to the forks/stem which seem to be stuck together just as bad. 

I've had a few goes at it and only managed to make things worse...thats my usual way of working :LolLolLolLol:

Basically I had a tnt stem stuck and battering it sideways and from underneath has just knocked the top portion of the stem off its shaft and left me with a nice neat round hollow quill going down into the forks.  It was good in a way cos I could at least seperate the frame n forks but I don't have much to work with now in terms of getting leverage onto it.  The stem bolt and wedge are out and were no trouble really but the main shaft is stuck like a mofo.  Anybody got any suggestions (its too small to cut with a hacksaw blade unfortunately)...i could probably drill it but I think its a steel shaft so thats gonna be hard going.  Thinking about grinding it to create to flat adges and getting a spanner and extension bar onto it as a first resort what do you reckon?

Ta

bmxbert

Re: Next Mission - stuck stem quill!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53 AM »
put a crap bearing race on the fork (so you dont damage your forks) and turn em upside down in a bench vice .
put a metal rod (socket extention) in the stearer tube from the bottom and hammer th fook out of it

thats what i would

bit of wd wouldnt go a miss either

bigsman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Don't have a vice unfortunately.  Its been soaked daily in wd for 10 days, been in an OA bath and is now soaking in vinegar...I'll tery anything me!

Cheers for the reply though...

subversion

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Without being able to securely (& safely) clamp the forks to go to work on them, you've got a cnut of a job on your hands mate :-\ Don't you know anyone with a bench vice who can help you out?? If you're near Banbury then PM me :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50 PM »
can't you bang an old wheel in the forks and a set of bars on the stem then turn the bars while securing the wheel?

moley

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:57 PM »
can't you bang an old wheel in the forks and a set of bars on the stem then turn the bars while securing the wheel?

Good idea!!  :daumenhoch:

If you can get some wide bars on it then with leverage you should be able to turn it!!   At least that will help loosen it!!

bigsman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Wheel yes but stem no...the og stem top came off after hitting it from below.  Put it back on yesterday with bars to try the twist method and it just stripped the kniurling on the quill and popped off again so no dice there.  Will look into the vice angle tho...

bmxbert

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11 PM »
large mole grips on the stem shaft followed by a bit of heat on the stearer tube. then twist mate :daumenhoch:

heat will have it out in no time.  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:13 PM »
 :) Send it to Meticus,he`ll have a quiet word with it,then it`ll leave of its own free will....

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:34 AM »
I would soak it in diesel for a few days and then using something as a suitable drift whack it with the biggest hammer you can manage from the bottom of the forks.  Diesel will work way better than WD40 (which actually goes sticky when it dries) or an OA bath  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

bigsman

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Cheers for the ideas guys...its already been in an OA bath for 2 days!!  I think the soaking in diesel is a shout but looking at the top and bottom theres no gap at all for anything to get in but I spose its worth a try  :daumenhoch:

Slapped it about a bit today but nowt happening...think my mind is already at T in the park  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45 PM »
you need to hit the wedge bit down first then the shaft should start to move
do it from the top other wise you will make it tighter from the botom
and diesel is the best as it has creeping elements

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Next Mission - stuck stem quill!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx