gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 06:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  amity bike co
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: amity bike co  (Read 18364 times)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
amity bike co
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:16 PM »
just been browsing the internet and stumbled across some footage of ben wallace on amity bike co, never heard of them myself but look like a new uk brand. just wondered if anyones knows anything about them, who's behind it all etc

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: amity bike co
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:59 PM »

JT71

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:00 PM »
lightweight frames you can trust not fold or flap!

:daumenhoch:

he's an engineering graduate so at least he should understand the stresses and strains. looks good.

http://www.amitybikeco.com

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:09 PM »
"Taper Lock TM our revolutionary new sysetm that literally locks the rear wheel in position by simply doing up nuts/bolts finger tight"

Oooh. Cant wait to see that one .....   >:D

JT71

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:14 PM »
sounds just like something someone else was going to do.....

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:15 PM »
sounds just like something someone else was going to do.....

Sounds like something about 3 companies have done, and every one of them "owns" the idea? ???

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I'll just come right out and say it. Is this Dibly's new company??

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:30 PM »

I really didnt meant to suggest that. I have no idea if it is or isnt, but why dont people just say that they have chosen to have the wedge dropout on their frames, and not all be pretending to have invented it, or to be the only ones using it.

I am interested to see if it works. Not enough to chance buying a new frame with it on tho.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:35 PM by S&MAlex »

JT71

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:36 PM »

don't think so no, Stodgy links to the owners page.

DJ

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Bunch of shuffle munsterers. if it WERE Dibleys you lot would have slated it.
Pit Bikes.

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 04:34 PM »
I was just wondering if it was his as I remember him posting up the design of that dropout lock thingy when he was doing UK bike Co - but Ive now noticed that in this thread it seems there are quite a few companies claiming it as theirs!
So I guess its not Darrens company after all.
I like the Amity site, the pictures in the old picture frames look goog.
Be v interested to see these frames.
And DJ - ive never slated anyone's  work in BMX  on this site or anywhere else dude.  :daumenhoch:

DJ

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 06:16 PM »
My comment was not directed at you steve....

This guy walked into BMX a few months back, offered Mark Webb ££££££ to go with him & this thing he wanted to do, Mark turned him down flat. So he took Wallace instead. He has done nothing but slate Remo for whatever reason which Im really not into tbh.

He basically took the UK Bike Co frame... the larger of the 2, got on a plane to Taiwan, went into the factory & said "Make me this please, heres some money".... From what I hear this guy is just here to take the money & run. Engineering graduate or not he sounds like a plick. Even Stu Dawkins warned certain people of this guy.

Im not the type to talk shit on people I dont know & I really like Ben Wallace but to swan in, talk shit on Remo & think you're Johnny Big Shot aint any good in my book.

With regard to the Dibley comment, Im right though... IF this were anything to do with him a lot of you would be laughing your heads off & running him down. He came up with some good stuff while working for UK Bike Co & its a shame it never worked out but he'll learn.

BTW... I would never call anyone a shuffle munster.....

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:19 PM »
I actually think Shuffle Munster is a good name , as is Muddy Funster.
I hear you on all this DJ, it's an interesting thread this one, looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.

dialledbikes

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:32 AM »
He basically took the UK Bike Co frame... the larger of the 2, got on a plane to Taiwan, went into the factory & said "Make me this please, heres some money"

Why would someone want to build a business on a product that has a reputation for failure?  If someone was going to take that approach they would take something with a proven track record to Taiwan and say "copy this"?

Steve Shindig

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Generally speaking, in this day and age, it's probably a good idea not to take the cool sounding sales lingo and buzz words off web sites too literally. 

It's really really super easy to start a bike company based on products & technology already in existence, and if a person chooses to take that road, then marketing and sales is the main focus.

So words and terms like 'evolutionary, new technologies, new ideas' and shit, will come in handy in the product descriptions to amp a product. 

Rad has a lot of BMXucated people who know what's up, but a lot of the BMX world who view certain bike company web sites are just regular riders who'll be attracted to the buzz words. 

I'm not saying that this new company isn't designing new BMX technologies though, I'm just talking generally. 

telelogic

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08 AM »
All that aside,

some nice riding on the edits :daumenhoch:

amitybikeco

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 05:06 PM »
All that aside,

I'm liking this thread, so i will just waltz on in from no-where & put a few things straight.

Firstly, I have never met Remo, nor have I ever slated him.   I only ‘know of' Remo & everything I have heard has been really positive, he is clearly held in high regard by a lot of riders.  2nd, I have never offered Mark Web £££££'s to ride for us, Mark & Ben helped us out in doing a freestyle / free riding pit bike video.  We wanted to change the image of our pitbike company (Stomp) & I had been introduced to Mark's Web edits & thought he would be ideal for what we were looking for + in one of his edits he is seen riding an old Xsport pit bike so this looked like a great opportunity.  Traditionally all our marketing revolved around racing, but truth be told, most pit bikers are free riders, generally riding where they shouldn't & we wanted to relate better with those customers.  You can check out the website www.ridestomp.com where you can see all the footage we took & the material REALLY helped us achieve what we were aiming for.  We love the 'lifestyle' marketing of BMX & thought it would cross over nicely to pit biking.

We had been talking about doing a BMX for more than a year & had even been out the far east to visit some factories.  Whilst I had Mark & Ben’s attention for a few days I took the opportunity to discuss with them our plans.  It was clear we were going about certain things in the wrong way & Mark suggested Ben should help us get things off the ground.  Mark said he would like to help out as it was an opportunity to be very close to the design side of things but was fully tied to UKBikeCo at the time & it certainly wasn’t appropriate considering they were paying him a salary.  He now has other interests which you may / may not know about & it’s not my place to say.

I didn't know who Stu Dawkins was, but I have just looked him up.

I am not here to 'take the money & run' it's going to take at least 2 years to get this off the ground, so far it’s been my full time occupation for 6 months & most of the pit bike business I have passed to my Business Partner Mark Meredith who has also been mentioned in this thread.  Yes there are 2 of us, both Engineering Graduates, though he has a masters as well...for what it's worth - Marc & Mark (it gets confusing).  I'm Marc Brotherton, pleased to meet you all!

Things that are in part true:

Yes I did walk into the BMX 'scene' about 6 months ago, but I have been riding BMX on & off since i was 9.  I have been back & forth to BMX/Mountain biking several times. Before recently starting riding BMX again, I had not ridden BMX for 12 years & was shocked at how much it had all changed.  I had a career in the automotive industry which took up 8 years & the past 5 years I have been building Stomp from the ground up. I love riding, i am not a even an average rider, but i am keen to improve & at 34, it seriously hurts trying to learn new stuff cus i don't bounce any more.  It's also hard to find the time, what with running a business, a wife & 2 children, but I am making time because I feel it’s important & I enjoy it.

Yes we did go to Taiwan (Ben & Myself) & spent & 8 days solid visiting different factories (up to 5 per day).  No I didn’t take a UKbikeCo frame with me, but we did bring a sample back that was similar to a UKbikeCo frame (& many others including Eastern) which was to be the basis of Ben’s signature frame.  The frame we took was developed by the factory, not by a bike company & it was one of many display frames in their showroom.  We have since changed the rear drop outs, beefed up the top tube to help prevent dents from knee impacts, modified the seat clamp & cable clips & beefed up the chain stays, shortened the back end & redesigned the bridge.  The samples are due on the 15th.  There is nothing revolutionary about this frame (apart from taper lock), but it’s light simple & strong.  I believe that’s all a BMX frame needs to be.

We did not invent Taper Lock, but we pay the license & therefore, I think we can call it our own, in the same way that we have our own pivotal seat as do most other BMX companies.

I’m not going to spend ages on forums arguing about this sort of thing, but I thought I would at least write something to try & clear my name, afterall there are a lot of haters out there & we are going come up against Chinese whispers along the way.  Just give us a chance to get going & hopefully you will like the result. If you don’t, there are plenty other companies out there to choose from.

Peace

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Props to you for your post Marc

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 05:18 PM »
 :daumenhoch:   keep us posted on stuff ,i wont ever knock someone who makes an effort..being upfront and straight
goes a long way in this game so cheers.

dan

JT71

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 05:28 PM »
just goes to show you can't believe everything that you read.

welcome to Marc & Mark.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 05:41 PM »
Respect for getting on here & putting it all across in an open minded, positive way. If the product turns out to be good, durable stuff then good on you, rock on  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

DJ

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 06:17 PM »
OH. Well. That clears that up then. I'm just on my way to tell Webbie he's a liar....

If only Dibley had explained himself like this huh?

Im out.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:26 PM by DJ »

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 07:01 PM »
i've heard your looking for riders

check out billy purcell (billy bmx). full on up and coming radder! his dad/chauffeur/mentor/manager is superbikedan on here, he's got loads of footage of him!

Fashionrider

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40 PM »
All that aside,

I'm liking this thread, so i will just waltz on in from no-where & put a few things straight.

Firstly, I have never met Remo, nor have I ever slated him.   I only ‘know of' Remo & everything I have heard has been really positive, he is clearly held in high regard by a lot of riders.  2nd, I have never offered Mark Web £££££'s to ride for us, Mark & Ben helped us out in doing a freestyle / free riding pit bike video.  We wanted to change the image of our pitbike company (Stomp) & I had been......... ETC

Stoked on Marc's Edit.

Dont make the same mistakes other companys have made in the past.

Ben is an amazing rider, as is Ryan Taylor and Cam Hardy

One word of advise, The key factor in all of this is Time.. Dont release the products until you AND your team are 100% completely satisfied with them.

Im quite confident that if you remain as passionate as you seem to be, and you seek support and guidance from your team, this company will become a well respected English based bike company.

Kane

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 07:44 PM »
i will go along with that    ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  amity bike co

gfxgfx
gfx gfx