gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Advice needed on my new/1st race bike....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice needed on my new/1st race bike....  (Read 2123 times)

southend_styler

Advice needed on my new/1st race bike....
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Right, i've decided to make the plunge in to OS Race and acquired a F+F from a friend last week.

Basically i know nothing about OS Race, so i'm throwing myself at your mercy  :LolLolLolLol:

What i'll do is list my intended parts breakdown, and also what i've already got, and you can tell me if i've gone horribly wrong somewhere.  ::)

F+F - TNT Longfellow (Got)
Stem - DK Mini, to counterbalance the length of the frame. (On it's way)
Lever - Tech 4 (Got)
Bars - Hoffman Racing Bars
Wheels - Araya Aeros on sealed suntour hubs (Got)
Crank - Profile 3-piece
Pedals - DMR V12
Brake - Odyssey Pitbull (On it's way)

There's a few things i haven't decided on yet, but this is what i've decided on so far.

What dya think? ???

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Advice needed on my new/1st race bike....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:19 AM »
all sounds top notch to me mate  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Creamy raced at Manchester last year on a GT Performer with 6-spoke Burner Mags!!   :shocked:

The main thing is to make sure everything works and that your comfortable with it.

Hit the track.   Practice is the only way to improve.   Every track is different and all the jumps are different.  But having practiced, improving and becoming quicker over your local track will stand you in good stead when you go to other tracks.

And when you do go to other tracks then take it easy.  Go round slow for the 1st time and build up your speed as you get used to it!!    Dont go for it until your ready too.

Your bike sounds okay.  I wouldn't worry about it, it will be fine!!  Just remember to keep checking everything is tight after every session.   

Keep your tyres pumped up.   Soft tyres aren't good for pumping and will slow you down. 

I'd invest in some body armour and knee/shin pads.   As a kid, being off school for a couple of weeks due to an injury is fine but for an adult its not worth the risk.  Its saved me a few times.   

You'll enjoy it.  Its fun!! 

If your going to MK then LMK.   I have some 'How to Race BMX' DVDs that will show you some techniques!!! :daumenhoch:

southend_styler

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Cheers for the replies lads.  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Sounds a fine ride to me :daumenhoch:

nhoj

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I did my 1st ever race a couple of meets ago.  The bike is only half of it.  I would certainly recommend getting round afew tracks before you race. I rolled up to the start gate at Bradford and held the race up cause I had forgotten to put my gloves and shine/knee pads on.  Don't forget the rest of your protection also.  You also need a British cycling assossiation membership aswell.  

Good luck!!!! :daumenhoch:

southend_styler

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I did my 1st ever race a couple of meets ago.  The bike is only half of it.  I would certainly recommend getting round afew tracks before you race. I rolled up to the start gate at Bradford and held the race up cause I had forgotten to put my gloves and shine/knee pads on.  Don't forget the rest of your protection also.  You also need a British cycling assossiation membership aswell.  

Good luck!!!! :daumenhoch:

Some sound advice there, cheers fella.  :daumenhoch:

And don't worry, i'll be getting the full protective kit, and training/practising like a mad man before i step up to a gate.

My biggest problem, i reckon, will be getting my fitness up! I'm only 22, but smoke like a trooper and do little else to keep fit!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline R Al

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:35 PM »

My biggest problem, i reckon, will be getting my fitness up! I'm only 22, but smoke like a trooper and do little else to keep fit!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Add booze and it sounds like an OS training regime to me  :daumenhoch:

southend_styler

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09 PM »

Add booze and it sounds like an OS training regime to me  :daumenhoch:

Sounds like i'm on track then!!  :LolLolLolLol:

mr.magoo

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 01:44 PM »
i smoke 40 a day and  don't train..... don't do me any harm. and i'm pushing 40!!!

the fitness will come the more you race/practise, first couple of meetings i did the weight just dropped off, and stamina increased.

Fitness and physique improved in droves and very fast....guess the wife didn't like it though :'( :2funny:

big kev 40

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 02:25 PM »
my first race back i was chucking up after every moto  six months later its not so bad  and ive nearly lost two stone   but ive found out you cant be as crazy as i was years ago   but ive wasnt wearing body armour   good luck with your racing

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 02:53 PM »
all sounds good to me dude :daumenhoch: any chance of a piccy of the frame? :)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 02:55 PM »
any chance of a piccy of the frame? :)

Junkie  ;D
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00 PM »
oooooooooooooh yeah! :daumenhoch:

spike371

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38 PM »
my first race back i was chucking up after every moto  six months later its not so bad  and ive nearly lost two stone   but ive found out you cant be as crazy as i was years ago   but ive wasnt wearing body armour    good luck with your racing

Take it thats the next investment then Kev  ;D ;)

big kev 40

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07 PM »
only thinking about it tho spike   :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :knuppel2:

southend_styler

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54 PM »
all sounds good to me dude :daumenhoch: any chance of a piccy of the frame? :)

It was your one mate!  :LolLolLolLol:

I work for Bert and bought it off him!  :coolsmiley:

southend_styler

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:56 PM »
i smoke 40 a day and  don't train..... don't do me any harm. and i'm pushing 40!!!

the fitness will come the more you race/practise, first couple of meetings i did the weight just dropped off, and stamina increased.

Fitness and physique improved in droves and very fast....guess the wife didn't like it though :'( :2funny:

Well i'm going to sign up down the gym tomorrow, purely cause i reckon i'm gonna need some sort of edge on some of you guys that have been doing it since before I was born!  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Advice needed on my new/1st race bike....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx