gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Well I've had a right mare today...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Well I've had a right mare today...  (Read 1235 times)

g_lamb

Well I've had a right mare today...
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Thought I'd dig our my Torker Freestylist and Street Beat (SB) f+f today to decide what to enter into MK09

A few of you will know I've had difficulties in fitting a gyro onto teh Torker coz of the longer head tube therefore less fork available to fit the gyro etcetc (been there, done that...). Recently bought an ACS Rotor as an alternative and couldn't get the flippn' headset off  :tickedoff:

I have been able to remove the locking nut and the washer but can't shift the next bit (knobbly bit which screws down onto the bearing case) - any suggestions?

I then thought, sod it, I'll have a play with the SB with the bits I've been buying for it and it was going ok until I found I couldn't fit the BB cups as they are too big. I bought a YST BB for OPC, Takagi 175/24 (http://cgi.ebay.com/YST-SEALED-bottom-bracket-set-for-1-piece-cranks-24T_W0QQitemZ190312931629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c4f88e12d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)  which I have also put onto the Torker with a OPC, Takagi 175/24 so i don't know why it won't fit on the SB

I'm obviously aware of Euro and US BB's but both Torker and SB are made in US or am I just being naive?  ??? - ne1 know whether I'm just being a wuss or what BB I'll need for OPC, Takagi 175/24?

And to finish the day off....

I recently bought a GT Stem which has turned up as a 22.2mm when I need a 21.1mm despite the listing, bloody, bloody,  :rant:

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Well I've had a right mare today...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:31 PM »
 :) Are you sure about the stem size,do you mean the bar clamp? 22.2mm is a BMX standard size,never heard of 21.1mm..

g_lamb

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:56 PM »
:) Are you sure about the stem size,do you mean the bar clamp? 22.2mm is a BMX standard size,never heard of 21.1mm..

The bit of the stem that goes into the head tube - The Haro fusion I have is stamped 21.1 and fits perfeck and the GT I have is stamped 22.2 and don't fit coz it's too fat  :)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:03 AM »
are you sure the bb cups aint just very tight. i've had to hit mine in sometimes that hard that i've broke the wood with the hammer and they still aint gone in.
dave the bmxing gypo

g_lamb

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:11 AM »
are you sure the bb cups aint just very tight. i've had to hit mine in sometimes that hard that i've broke the wood with the hammer and they still aint gone in.

This is possible - haven't really got the facilities to clamp up the bike to give em a real good whack...

I was concerned about splitting the BB - could be a LBS jobby...

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:10 AM »
lbs wil;l sort em in about 10 seconds some are tight some are not .my standard sta was super tight .my haro they just push in easy .

moomin

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Put the BB cups in the freezer and try that, usually works :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 02:37 PM »

The BB's in the freezer worked for me when I was stuggling with a tight pair  :-* :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

g_lamb

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 05:44 PM »

The BB's in the freezer worked for me when I was stuggling with a tight pair  :-* :daumenhoch:
Cheers Bobafett

Will give this a whirl to see if the big thing will go into the tight hole  :shocked:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Cheers Bobafett
Will give this a whirl to see if the big thing will go into the tight hole  :shocked:

Don't thank me mate, thank who ever put it up originally (and Mrs.Ratty for posting in this thread) - I just did a search back when I was struggling - I always do - the site is full of useful info and that search button at the top of the page should be your best friend in a crisis  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

g_lamb

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Sorry Mrs Ratty

TY to you 2!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Well I've had a right mare today...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx