gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PK Ripper rear wheel problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PK Ripper rear wheel problem  (Read 937 times)

Thejackal

PK Ripper rear wheel problem
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Good morning

I thought I was going to be able to complete my Ripper last night and post up some pic's, but have come across an unexpected problem.

I am using a DC 1020 rear caliper as I was told that many other calipers would be too short to reach the rim. However, even with the 1020, the wheel has to be fully forward in the dropouts. So far, so good. I have done this, but then realised that the sprocket is touching/ rubbing the inside of the frame!!

The wheel was bought as a complete unit with sprocket, so I simply assumed it would fit?! Do I need a narrower sprocket? Or lots of washers? Or do I adjust the spindle?

Please help.  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: PK Ripper rear wheel problem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:49 AM »
bitd we ran the brakes underneath style, as it was a shorter reach, having said that my 1020 and a mx1000 reach on top, so maybe your freewheel is too chunky, try a few washers on the freewheel side to move it in a bit....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Thejackal

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Thanks Meticus  :4_17_5:

Is your rear wheel in the fully forward position?

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12 PM »
mx1000s work fine so something is not right

pics please

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Thanks Meticus  :4_17_5:

Is your rear wheel in the fully forward position?

just checked...  its almost fully forward, the caliper is at its lowest point on the frame, and the brake blocks are at there lowest point too, so its all a bit of a stretch, but it should all fit....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:54 PM »
stick some pics on .i reckon a washer on either dropout to pull the drops outward should work but pics tell 1000 stories matey .brakes wise are they 100 percent original dia compe 1020 ?
copies may be different possibly

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:00 PM »
check the stamp on the back , as mx1000s with a 2cm shorter reach work on every ripper i have ever had ?

otherwise i am stumped as they should fit

pics please

Thejackal

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Thanks folks

I don't know how to attach pics to a post, or I would have done it! :uglystupid2:

Can anyone tell  me how to attach pic's and I will do it.......

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

bokbok

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:30 AM »
hi mine back wheel is nnearly all way up towards the front on drop outs, and the sproket is very close to the frame and i have a dc  mx1000 back brake its as far down as it can go, both brake and brake blocks i assumed thats how there on them but it works fine at that i did notice there 2 washers nearly a 1cm thick on the caliper  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:40 AM by bokbok »

Thejackal

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36 AM »
Thanks Heywood - I will give it a try!.........Watch this space

Bokbok - yeah, my 1020's have a 1cm-ish thick washer as well on the rear caliper. I think I need another nut on the free wheel side to increase the distance between the sprocket and the frame.

Thanks both.  :daumenhoch:

bokbok

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:00 PM »
or i forgot to say it needs a washer on side of the sprocket to push it away from the frame  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PK Ripper rear wheel problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx