gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sugino GT Crank Problemo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sugino GT Crank Problemo  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Sugino GT Crank Problemo
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:00 AM »
Fello Radsters,
I've used many a  3 piece Crank "Back in the day"  :P
Have recently started using a Sugino 3 Piece crank on my daily ride and the left crank arm keeps loosening its self off  :2gunsfiring_v1:
Before i go and do something stupid do you guys (and Gals) have any sugestions to sort this fooking irritating problem????
I have tried tightening the nut to within an inch of its life but still it lets go...... >:(
I just want to ride and ride some more but i'm getting a little fooked off having to walk my little beauty home  :(
PLeeeeease sugestions  :D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Sugino GT Crank Problemo
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:23 AM »
Spring washer ?  :-\
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Red thread lock will probably do the trick.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:05 AM »
is it the right axel for the crank? them square tapered axels are not all the same.
ding dong

magna13

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:24 PM »
I use this red Loctite stuff, works a treat :daumenhoch: Go in to your local bike shop. If they're nice enough then they'll do it for you right there and then with no charge :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Thx Radsters  :daumenhoch:
I'm gonna try a differnet axel tonight ..... and see how that goes, I assumed that as this was the one that came with the crank (NOS) that it was correct (Mother of all Fook Ups assumption  :D )
Failing that I'll give the red thread lock nut a go.........I really dont want to loctite it though... wot if i need to remove again..surely that would be a pain in the arse then????

soll36

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Thx Radsters  :daumenhoch:
I'm gonna try a differnet axel tonight ..... and see how that goes, I assumed that as this was the one that came with the crank (NOS) that it was correct (Mother of all Fook Ups assumption  :D )
Failing that I'll give the red thread lock nut a go.........I really dont want to loctite it though... wot if i need to remove again..surely that would be a pain in the arse then????
you can get different types of thread locker mate..the red loc-tite stuff the guys are on about is summat like no.253 and is not a permanent lock like some you can get so it works enough to hold the bolt but can be removed when needed..   :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:58 PM by soll36 »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Dare I say it, the alloy may have stretched and no longer biting on the axle fully when tightened up  :( .  Was quite common on Sugino's alloy cranks bitd.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

moley

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07 PM »
When you do tighten it.  Is it fully tight with no play in the cranks?

If it is then it just needs something to stop the bolt coming loose.

We use Loctite 390 screw lock.   It can be hard to get bolts undone afterwards.  This is small bolts like m3-m5 but should be alright with bigger bolts.

Try loctite on the bolt and allow to dry.  DONT loctite and screw the bolt in in case it becomes stuck.

One the loctite has hardened then screw it in.  It should provide enough resistance to stop it from coming undone but still allow you to undo if need be.

Maybe some ptfe tape that plumbers use on threads.  It would work similar and provide enough resistance.

If the cranks have play when fully tightened then dont bother as you'll never get it right as its stretched!!  :(

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24 PM »
measure the thinnest and thickest part of the square taper. i'll compare it to one i have and see if it's a match. could have been a nos arms and any old BB set cobbled together.
ding dong

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54 PM »
if the crank arm is stretched out and it is the correct axle you can shim the axle with cut up pop cans or thin brass sheet, done this before,i found the arms tend to keep opening up once they started,so it might only be temporary,somthing to do with the stress in the alloy makes it go soft.

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Radsters,
Talk about community spirit  :daumenhoch:
Just wish i'd read your comments last nite before going down the route i did!
Got some of the loctite red stuff and sealed the bugger good and proper.....placed on the srcrew thread and the bolt though so could be a real pain in the arse to remove! Didn't get a chance to see if its done the trick as it was raining last night and i'm not taking my new baby out in the wet :D
The Alloy doesnt appear to be strectched and there is no play when the bolt is first tightened up. I do hope this sorts the problemo.
I guess i should put some pics of my new daily rider up.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sugino GT Crank Problemo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx