gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 12:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mental bmx gap
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mental bmx gap  (Read 1926 times)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
mental bmx gap
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:32 AM »
check this out that sunday bikes posted on fb
Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: mental bmx gap
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:42 AM »
Mental that  :daumenhoch: , chain tensioners seem to work ok though  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58 AM »
+1,  big shiney ones , man lucky it wasn't the front wheel he cliped , ouch

chichi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55 AM »
Large........... :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13 AM »
AWESOME! but i'd want more than a baseball cap for protection :shocked:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22 AM »
mental  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Awesome vid :daumenhoch

Here's Jimmy Levan doing the same gap, the replay from the top of the steps really makes you appreciate how big the gap is.

Not a valid vimeo URL

bmxbob

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Awsome  >:D

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Some say that Jimmy Levan and Metal bikes were built purely from doing THAT gap.
I think Jimmy is totally rad and that gap is just an example of it  :daumenhoch:

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Hmmm yeah.

Been waiting for someone to say what a totally dumb ass thing to do with no helmet on. Guess they make their own choice but...

Lets say your 7 year old BMX crazy kid watched that with his pals, tried something similar and ended up with plastic surgery to rebuild his face looking like John Merrick for the rest of his life after picking his teeth up off the sidewalk....

Yeah, thats ummm, RAD .....dude.

/>
/>

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:31 PM by Brandy Truffle »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Gnarly  :daumenhoch:
Lot to be said for mid school heft, Levan's bike didn't blow apart on landing...
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Brandy, don't you think that these things should be put into context a little bit?

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Brandy, don't you think that these things should be put into context a little bit?

What possible context is that?  PM me if you have serious issues. Helmets save people from serious injury. There is no context which could possibly bypass that statement.

I've made my point. A personal one. Each to their own.
It would be a different matter if you had watched this vid, ,he clipped, faceplanted concrete step at 25mph and was lying in hospital with a broken neck and an impending facial rebuild. Would you be paypal donating cause they had no way to make a living now?

A simple safety disclaimer at the beginning of these dumb "Rad" vids would be a bonus...heck, even Jackass did them at the beginning and end of their programmes doing stuff much less dangerous. 

I can post a pre-op photo and post-op photo of an 11 year old boy who had a BMX accident jumping steps in Gloucester city centre,Kings walk 3 years ago.
I can even post a photo of what he looks like 3 years on.

See how that fits into your "little bit of context" then my friend.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Mad as fook...  :shocked:

As for the helmet debate, they know the risk before attemping owt like that, personal choice thats my 2p's worth

I wear a piss pot lid at the skatepark, if i happen to faceplant i know i may as well be wearing a baseball cap...  :(

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I don't have any 'serious issues' that require a pm mate.

It was an innocent question from me that didn't deserve such a shitty response from you.

Now, I'll tell you what context your statement could be bypassed.  Since you asked so nicely.......

Your scenario involved a 7 year old kid.  The two clips posted involved grown men making their own choices in life.  We all have (or should have) opinions on safety gear.  I certainly wear my share of the stuff and regularly preach to anyone who'll listen the importance of doing so.

We've never ridden together, so you wouldn't know right?

As for helping injured riders, you clearly don't know me at all.  Ask around.

I'm sorry to hear of the 11 year old lads accident, truly I am.  If he's related to you, then you have my sympathies and understanding.

I will stand by my orginal question though.  There is context to everything in life.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 06:14 PM »
somebody is gonna end up 6ft under though the way these lads are riding.
scary to watch.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Mr Truffel has  a valid point,  i broke my coller bone emulating Andy Ruffels tennis court net bunny hop, i did'nt make it ,but at the time had no fears in trying, only with retrospect do i realise the danger involved,     the two video responces have been aired on tv programes that hype the participents to almost hero status, kids may think " this guys crashed and he's on telly,,,, cool" the origonal clip i think is from Props and carries a disclaimer, although the clip is now out of context,  i agree completly it is a dumb ass thing thing to do without protective equipment, but you have admire the skill involved, which i think, is what most of the responces reflect, 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 06:23 PM »
You're right Dordy.

Someone asked me last year what I thought would be the next big thing in bmx, and I replied   'death'.

There seems to be an increase (in my eyes anyways) in deaths in MX. Not neccessarily in the pro ranks, but people are taking bigger and bigger risks on a very regular basis. As we all know, although the gaps are bigger, MX doesn't have the technical intricacies of modern bmx. The bmx upside down stuff is basically gymnastics these days and street riding is off the hook of course.

That clip of Levan at the Church gap is really quite old, perhaps 8 or 9 years?  Might even be 10 now.

teamsano

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45 AM »
early '98.

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I posted a personal opinion, certainly no "shitty response"..I made that clear. I thought the post "dont you think you should put this in context" was Dumb (IMHO) and to not elaborate on that in the same breath even dumber. I said PM if there was any issues as all too often these topics go off course and end up getting heated arguments or locked or worse still the keyboard warrior brigade come out. No point ping pong replies getting nowhere when 2 people obviously have different views. I'd rather be elsewhere on the board.

There was no mention of questioning anyones personality or "helping injured riders" or "you've never ridden with me" or whatever, I can't even be bothered to read back through the responses to my response - I dont know you and you me.

Back to the original youtube clip and others like it.

Some people find it "totally RAD dude"
Some people find it "funny as f00k"
Some people find it "mad, but wanna emulate it"

Some people think about the bigger picture.

I guess I am one of those sad people.

Was just my personal opinion thats all. When you,your kid or anyone else breaks their face hitting concrete at speed, don't fear, 100%, I would be the first one there to help & organise your wellbeing but I just cant find any justification for serious riding without proper protection.

Safe Riding Everyone.  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Mr Truffel has  a valid point,  i broke my coller bone emulating Andy Ruffels tennis court net bunny hop, i did'nt make it ,but at the time had no fears in trying, only with retrospect do i realise the danger involved,     the two video responces have been aired on tv programes that hype the participents to almost hero status, kids may think " this guys crashed and he's on telly,,,, cool" the origonal clip i think is from Props and carries a disclaimer, although the clip is now out of context,  i agree completly it is a dumb ass thing thing to do without protective equipment, but you have admire the skill involved, which i think, is what most of the responces reflect, 

Andy Ruffell was wearing full race kit, gloves and a full face lid when he hopped that net.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:12 PM »

Andy Ruffell was wearing full race kit, gloves and a full face lid when he hopped that net.
[/quote]

yes he was,   i wasn't  :(

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Awsome gap :daumenhoch:
Did his bars break on the jump or when he threw his bike :Aresehole:
Sorry dont see the point in throwing your bike. Maybe it's given to him and he does not have to pay for new parts.
As for the helmet debate. Anyone read this months ride interview with Stephen Murray.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 02:17 AM »
Would you be paypal donating cause they had no way to make a living now?

See how that fits into your "little bit of context" then my friend.

OK.  So the first part of your quote is where you questioned me helping injured riders.  The second part illustrates the tone that made me call your response shitty.  A colloqueism for patronising or condescending, which that sentence clearly is.

Just because you said PM,  why should I?  Who are you exactly to tell me or anyone else for that matter what to do?

I'm quite happy to have a little ping pong thread, it's a discussion board after all.  If you can't be bothered to read what you wrote or my responses, then I suppose this will end here.  But I do have one final question for you, my friend;

Where exactly do you get the idea that our views are different?

scott250

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I don't think I'd do that with a lid on  ;D never mind without.

Lids won't always save you on a big slam you know- but i guess it lowers the chances of you dieing when you really nack your self.  I wear mine 50% of the time.

+ you'd have to have a full facer on too - I once slamed onto my face off a tbogger gone wrong - I had a lid on but still shot my tooth right through my lip(didnt eat for three days, haha).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:30 AM by scott250 »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mental bmx gap

gfxgfx
gfx gfx