gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 05:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what spokes ,,help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what spokes ,,help  (Read 1470 times)

trasher

what spokes ,,help
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:37 PM »
ok chaps im after some 194mm spokes ,,biagio has some 7.5/8"

are these the right size to go on 20 x1.75 ukais with low flange hubs

i once saw a wheel building thingy on here ,but canrt seem to find it 

cheers in advance  :daumenhoch:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: what spokes ,,help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:50 PM »
184mm using 3 cross lacing pattern or 194mm using a 4 cross lacing pattern, something like that

moanjam

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:55 PM »
i used this to calculate for my 1 3/8's

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

:daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Well the gay pensioner mate

7 5/8's  roughly equates to 194's

194's  are for low/ small flange hubs  on a 1.75 or 1.5  20" rim

184's for Large/ high flange hubs

both using a 3 cross pattern build  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:00 PM »
184mm using 3 cross lacing pattern or 194mm using a 4 cross lacing pattern, something like that

the spokes i,v just taken out are 194 ,,didn't take note of the lace pattern ,,,is the gauge right 7.5/8"

iv got another pair here that stidds built ,,,and i think there 194 ,,so i,m going to try and build them to that pattern  :uglystupid2:

trasher

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Well the gay pensioner mate

7 5/8's  roughly equates to 194's

194's  are for low/ small flange hubs  on a 1.75 or 1.5  20" rim

184's for Large/ high flange hubs

both using a 3 cross pattern build  :daumenhoch:

cheers dude ,,that makes sense now  :daumenhoch:  ,
you lot are just to rad for words  :4_17_5:

i used this to calculate for my 1 3/8's

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

:daumenhoch:

cheers dude

rhino_mac

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:14 PM »
If you're using 194's and low flange hubs it's a four cross pattern - just built some up recently.

I bought the Asahi 194's onto Suntour low flange hubs onto Araya &x 20 x 1.75's.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04 AM »

the spokes i,v just taken out are 194 ,,didn't take note of the lace pattern ,,,is the gauge right 7.5/8"

iv got another pair here that stidds built ,,,and i think there 194 ,,so i,m going to try and build them to that pattern  :uglystupid2:

the gay pensioner, which wheels are the ones I built mate, as I don't lace with 194's?  Measure them again from end to end and you will probably find they are 184mm with a 3x pattern (as I don't lace 4x often).

Sean

trasher

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:55 PM »

the gay pensioner, which wheels are the ones I built mate, as I don't lace with 194's?  Measure them again from end to end and you will probably find they are 184mm with a 3x pattern (as I don't lace 4x often).

Sean

hello mate ,,they where the polished ukai's with red hubbage and nipples ,,,you did for nick

i think really close to your wedding day  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01 PM »
these ones mate

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:06 PM by trasher »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Thought it may have been those beauties.  Really loved lacing them up.

Check the spoke length though mate, If I recall they are 186mm on the front and 184mm on the rear with a 3x lacing pattern.

trasher

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18 PM »

Check the spoke length though mate, If I recall they are 186mm on the front and 184mm on the rear with a 3x lacing pattern.

they are splendid mate ,,,top lacing job  :4_17_5:

just got the tape out ,and think your right with them measurements

i.v just ordered some 194 spokes ,,the same as i took out of a  wheel i had ,,,,what configuration would i do with these ,

this lacing lark is so confusing  :uglystupid2: 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:28 PM by trasher »

trasher

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17 PM »
thats the last time i try and lace up a rim

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:26 AM »

they are splendid mate ,,,top lacing job  :4_17_5:

just got the tape out ,and think your right with them measurements

i.v just ordered some 194 spokes ,,the same as i took out of a  wheel i had ,,,,what configuration would i do with these ,

this lacing lark is so confusing  :uglystupid2: 

194mm is usually a 4x lacing pattern.

bigsman

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26 AM »
I'm just about to do the same and was about to hit the buy button when I saw this thread!!  Am I right in thinking even if you buy the wrong size you can alter the lacing to suit?  So since he's bought 194s he can do a 4x rather than a 3?  I don't have the rims and hubs in my posession yet to measure anything am I as well waiting or can I buy spokes now so I'm ready and if so what do I need to use to calculate what I need?  I'm with you man this is much more confusing than I thought  :idiot2:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34 AM »
I'm just about to do the same and was about to hit the buy button when I saw this thread!!  Am I right in thinking even if you buy the wrong size you can alter the lacing to suit?  So since he's bought 194s he can do a 4x rather than a 3?  I don't have the rims and hubs in my posession yet to measure anything am I as well waiting or can I buy spokes now so I'm ready and if so what do I need to use to calculate what I need?  I'm with you man this is much more confusing than I thought  :idiot2:

Not always, as hub sizes (and number of spokes per wheel) vary, which changes everything.  I have been building wheels for a number of years now and believe me that the lacing is simple compared to using the correct size spokes.  To calculate the correct size you need a spoke calculator software program, a decent set of digital calipers and knowledge of what measurements to take.  You also need to work out early what kind of lacing you want (radial, 2x, 3x, 4x, racelace etc).

bigsman

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:05 AM »

Not always, as hub sizes (and number of spokes per wheel) vary, which changes everything.  I have been building wheels for a number of years now and believe me that the lacing is simple compared to using the correct size spokes.  To calculate the correct size you need a spoke calculator software program, a decent set of digital calipers and knowledge of what measurements to take.  You also need to work out early what kind of lacing you want (radial, 2x, 3x, 4x, racelace etc).
[/quote]

Cheers for that...since this is my first attempt I'm looking for the simplest method really - I take it that's 3x?  I don't have the tools you mention there is there anyway I can compromise and not waste money buying the wrong thing?  The wheels are the zeds n hubs  on stevencostas for sale thread - they look low flange but no idea on exact sizes.  What a pain this is...and I was quite looking forward to doing this for the first time as well!!  Cheers mate your feedbacks appreciated - and sorry for hijacking the thread!

Steve

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 11:41 AM »

Cheers for that...since this is my first attempt I'm looking for the simplest method really - I take it that's 3x?  I don't have the tools you mention there is there anyway I can compromise and not waste money buying the wrong thing?  The wheels are the zeds n hubs  on stevencostas for sale thread - they look low flange but no idea on exact sizes.  What a pain this is...and I was quite looking forward to doing this for the first time as well!!  Cheers mate your feedbacks appreciated - and sorry for hijacking the thread!

Steve

Steve

Best thing to do is to buy the hubs and spokes you want, pm me and I will tell you what measurements to take and I will calculate the spoke lengths for you.

Sean

bigsman

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Cheers man will do - appreciate it  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 05:38 PM »

Best thing to do is to buy the hubs and spokes you want, pm me and I will tell you what measurements to take and I will calculate the spoke lengths for you.

Sean
[/quote]

Think Sean meant , buy the hubs and RIMS you want ....      

I'm sure you knew this Steve but just in case   :daumenhoch:    
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:34 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks Norty mate, I am not a bright bloke, just a lowly Driving Instructor.  :idiot2:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:42 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks Norty mate, I am not a bright bloke, just a lowly Driving Instructor.  :idiot2:

Your welcome mate  :daumenhoch:

Dont knock yourself either anyone who can lace wheels like your goodself is a good one in my book  :daumenhoch:

bigsman

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Yeh I sussed that but I'm new here and didn't want to ruffle any feathers  :D

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Yeh I sussed that but I'm new here and didn't want to ruffle any feathers  :D

Your not as new as me and i am always ruffling feathers  :LolLolLolLol:  ;)

trasher

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 09:58 PM »

now that has really puddled me  :2funny:,,,,,, sean how hard is the 4x lacing pattern ,,,,,,have you any pictures or reference to go by ,,,,,

and how much to send them to you mate  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what spokes ,,help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx