gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hi I thought I would introduce myself and the BMX I'm restoring!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hi I thought I would introduce myself and the BMX I'm restoring!  (Read 2605 times)

piranha

Hi guys I'm Jay and I used to love BMX racing a very long time ago, but recently I found one of my old bikes and decided to set about restoring her back in the days of riding it a few dirt tracks.
The whole thing has turned out quite expensive, but I think it’s worth it!
I've bought a few thing NOS to go for the bike except missing and still looking for some Dia compe Tech III in black.
The chromers have given me a job lot time around three weeks the seat post, crank, frame, handle bars, trick nuts and seat brackets!
Not sure what direction I'm taking but back to OEM I think. I'm getting some pads made up for it as I lost those years ago!
Enjoy the pictures comments welcomed good and bad! I've stuck some pictures of what it should look like LOL  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:33 PM by piranha »

lmmrst

hi jay me an the wife have had a few of these  :coolsmiley: i think a friend of ours has just started up her own site as she lives just round the corner form where they were made in brierley hill she will most likely have some spares to!

bmxbob

The black one with the yellow seat used to belong to me  :)

nice to see it again  8)

oh and welcome to the site  :daumenhoch:

piranha

hi jay me an the wife have had a few of these  :coolsmiley: i think a friend of ours has just started up her own site as she lives just round the corner form where they were made in brierley hill she will most likely have some spares to!

WOW I've never seen a Blue one is it OEM? Doesn't matter its stunning :4_17_5: love those old skool MKI Banana Mags wish I had a set it was way ahead of its time!
Parts is being a bit of a nightmare for me I really need a decent set of frame pads and brake levers pref Dia compe MX tech3's to finish it off.
I've been given a name and he said he can get the pads made up with buttons LOL! Let me know if you can help mate it really is OEM I'm going for on this one!

Jay

The black one with the yellow seat used to belong to me  :)

nice to see it again  8)

oh and welcome to the site  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for the welcome mate much appreciated!
Hope you didn't mind me using the pic I haven't seen too many around in my area and was picture collecting to work out the details of the restore!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:47 PM by piranha »

donkeybambam

mate love seeing an old school back to life................. :daumenhoch:

piranha

mate love seeing an old school back to life................. :daumenhoch:

Me too mate, when you see the old guard come out for a ride it just makes me chuckle 8) inside and takes me soooo far back!
I've got a MKI Night Burner still to restore in the garage!
Jay

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
welcome to the site

nice to see another piranaha saved  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

piranha

welcome to the site

nice to see another piranaha saved  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for the welcome Fella! 8)
Jay

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
welcome to the site jay,a mate of mine started off on a pirhana BITD :daumenhoch:

rhino_mac

My first BMX was a Piranha when I was 8 - I must have done thousands of miles on it! Still rode it daily until I was about 15 when some little sh*te nicked it from school.

piranha

welcome to the site jay,a mate of mine started off on a pirhana BITD :daumenhoch:

Thanks it was my first BMX back then, sadly I got injured doing stunts and had to move onto Racers mom and pops thought it was safer back then LOL!
I only found it becuase my kid who is 7 said what was stuck behind the garage junk.
 I was thinking recently I was always out on bikes as a kid I wasn't much for staying indoors back in the 80's
Not sure what the BMX scene is like today, but the local bike shop still had kids buying old skool new bikes. Guess its a nice time from 11 to 15 then I got a motorbike and I still ride today!
I'm restoring the racer (after the BMX's) I had back then also its older about 79-83 Gitane!

My first BMX was a Piranha when I was 8 - I must have done thousands of miles on it! Still rode it daily until I was about 15 when some little sh*te nicked it from school.

Shame I think its worse now, but depends where you lived back then I was lucky forests and green belts for dirt tracks!

piranha

Well I'm still waiting for the chromers to come back in a couple of weeks so I've started to strip all the bits for restoration!
Plan was to grit paper those Black TTK DX's so they are smooth and ready for painting or powder coating have not decided on budget yet. The brake levers can be restored, but really desperate for some black DIE Ccmpe Tech III's.
The Brakes have been overhalled and waiting for some new cable connectors to suit. Not sure about the brake pads too modern maybe, but they do un-usually look like a nice design.
Seat will be rubbed down aswell and repainted on the back as 20 odd years its still stood the time.
Mushroom drips are finished had to cut them off before the handle bars were sent away for chroming.
Any usefull coments would be appreciated. I know its not top of the line BMX, but show boating is not the point! :2funny: 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:37 PM by piranha »

piranha

Well just an update I've got the forks,frame, seat and bits and bobs from the chromers they did a good job and I've just got a few more items to get hold of.
Frame pads is an issue but thinking of getting designer ones unless people think I should get OEM and spray paint the decals onto the pads?
The tyres are still on back order which are Gum walled colour!
The pedals are painted in tough black paint which have come out quite nice IMO.
Managed to get some Chang Star original tech III's and a new silver IZUMI chain.
 Not sure when I'm going to build it completely, but wanted some more opinions on what else can be done?
Could someone tell me the size of the frame pads for the Piranha?
Many thanks
Jay

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:45 PM by piranha »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
looking good.

Have a chat with firebird about the pads.
I want to touch ORB

piranha

Thanks mate I'll PM him hope the chap can help?
Jay

dct

i had one of  these in the warly 80,s 

not the clearest of pics

heres me

my sisters kuwahara

piranha

Thats great Danny looks like a Yellow MKI! 
The list is getting bigger for owners on here LOL! 8)
Jay

dct

nice black bike with yellow bits  :daumenhoch:

piranha

Well finally decided to build the bike its cost me a price of a new BMX, but I think it was worth it!
The decals and frame pads are the final items to go back on.
I've tried so hard to keep it OEM the following items are the only new bits:

Two new tubes and Kenada tyres.
Izume silver chain
Brake pads.
Brake cables.
Decals.
Frame pads.
Mushroom grips NOT NOS
which for love or money can't get them in black, but the new ones where quite expensive  ::)

I've ordered a set of Gum wall coloured tyres which are on back order, as the white tyres get dirt real quick :10_2_12: LOL.
Hope you enjoy the pictures as I got quite emotional sitting on her for the first time in 26 years. :'(
I didn't go crazy and buy top notch stuff as this project was to restore her back to former glory days of BMX riding as a kid.
I've been out with my two kids and felt contented riding on the pavement next to my kids, which is what riding any type of bike is all about, a sense of freedom and relaxation :angel:
Soon as I get the pads I will post new pictures with all the its glory for show! :daumenhoch:

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
great resto ... have u got anymore pics  :coolsmiley:

piranha

Thanks mate I got so caught up with the build, these are the only photos shots I've got the chrome has not even been cleaned properly yet, plus its not finished just yet!
Jay
 :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hi I thought I would introduce myself and the BMX I'm restoring!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx