gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975753 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 12, 2024, 02:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara KZ-83 Project
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kuwahara KZ-83 Project  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Kuwahara KZ-83 Project
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:57 PM »
I have started a new project . . . and I reckon I have started reasonably well:

Frame set bought from 'thebigdog' lovely job, thanks Matt.

Frame set with Wheels bought from 'Keep it Lit', cheers Ade.  I know they are UKAI's and not Araya 7x but they look just the same and I have always wanted a pair of UKAI's, I absolutely love'em  :smitten: its going to look quite bling when its done, I quite fancy continuing the chrome theme.

I'm going to be selling this to fund part of the project, should be advertised by Sunday if interested give me a text 07855 603 478 (Ben)

I'm going to be after lots of parts to complete my new project, so keep your eye on the 'WANTED' section over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Ben
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:43 PM by Kaner »

Jonnyboy bmx

Re: Kuwahara KZ-3 Project
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:28 PM »

That's a very good start & defo continue with the chrome theme ......... its going to look a sweety :smitten:

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Quick Update:

I'm to impatient for this game: I might have spoilt the chromw theme already!  I have already bought a rear black MX 1000 that looks in pretty good nick and got a pair of Suntour XC-11 on their way too.

I will post pics when they arrive.

Cheers Ben

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:50 PM »
the kuwi looks well nice!

that's my old beat!   :'(

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Come and talk to me about the StreetBeat mate  ;)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Come and talk to me about the StreetBeat mate  ;)

it's a great rider Mate  :daumenhoch:   i was sorry to let her go  :'(

gadd

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:27 AM »
pick up a suntour vx crank to go with them Suntour XC-11 , will be mint

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Kuwahara's are proper old school, love em  :smitten:

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Hey Pickle

Its a shame I have to let the Streetbeat go, its a lovely bike, however things change and I am now living in a 1 bed flat and I can't keep all the bikes I want to.  Shame really.  But the funds will be going towards a good cause though.   :D

Cheers Buddy

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Quick Update:

I have sourced some lovely new parts from the very helpful 'Kuwahero'  Thank you mate.   :daumenhoch:

I now have on its way in the post in the next couple of days:

NOS Laserpost
NOS Tech 3 in black
Mint Suntour Arrow seat clamp
44t Sugino black chain ring with machined teeth

May the run of parts continue?!  Its going great.   :4_17_5:

I will put pics up when the parts arrive in the next couple of days.

Cheers
Ben

rhino_mac

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Great news on the Laserpost - told you one would turn up OK! It's the little bits like the Suntour Arrow seat clamp that make all the difference to the build and make it special.

Kuwahero certainly lives up to his name. He's sorted me out with some real rarities for my build like the grips and seat, as well as offering loads of advise. Bloody nice guy!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Hey Pickle

Its a shame I have to let the Streetbeat go, its a lovely bike, however things change and I am now living in a 1 bed flat and I can't keep all the bikes I want to.  Shame really.  But the funds will be going towards a good cause though.   :D

Cheers Buddy

hey mate.....it's your bike to do as you want with  :daumenhoch:

i know how it is with space and 1 bed flats!   ::)   nightmare!!

Kuwi looks the nuts though  :daumenhoch:

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 08:02 AM »
So here are a few parts I have received this week for the Kuwi:

Got the Suntour XC-2 Pedals for restoration and the rear MX1000 that needs tidying up from ebay:

Kuwahero did me a deal on this lot, big thanks Marc these parts are going to make a big difference  :daumenhoch:
NOS Tech-3, NOS Laser Post, NOS Arrow Seat Clamp, NOS Sugino 44t Chain Ring

I have also routed out some tyres from my storage box (paid £10 delivered), nice pair of skinny / fat Tioga Comp 3's that were NOS before I used them on a bike twice:

So its all going quite well so far, I'm looking forward to tinkering this weekend.   :)

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I have been tinkering on my Suntour XC 2's pedals and have got them into reasonable condition.

It took me bloody ages, but I am pretty happy with the result.  I removed the cages from the main pedal and filed down every flat edge of the teeth.  The cages weren't in too bad condition but had dents and scratches all over which needed flattening.  So I took my file and got to work, it took 7 hours to get them to this point.  I have replaced the screws with new ones from modelfixings.co.uk who are a great little company I have used before.

Here are some pics:

You will see the reason for the chop sticks in the following photo

1st Coat

4th Coat

Oh Yeah . . . and I did this too . . . ouch . . . that will teach me to leave the chuck in the Dremmel!  I wont do that again, hurt like fook!

Just need a dust cap and the job is a good'un.

Cheers
Ben

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Top stuff Ben - thanks for your help  ;)

magna13

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Very nice Ben, always love a good Kuwie me :coolsmiley:

chichi

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Ouch !!

Nice job on the peds  :daumenhoch:

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Here is another update.  It has been moving along quite quickly recently and I only need my chain tensioners and padset and jobs a good 'un for my summer ride.  I am going to change a few bits over the winter (like the cranks) and I'm playing with the idea of having it rechromed too?  But I'm going to enjoy it over the summer and will have a think about what to do when the weather changes for the worse at the end of the year.

NOS Stem from 'JT Smooth' and Ody cable/chainring bolts from 'JT71'.

Lovely Elina Seat from Munners.

I bought this power disk from Swivel, but chose to use the proper Sugino Spider instead which I bought from Stumpylee.  I'm going to have the power disk chromed and see what that looks like, use it as a bit of a winter project.

And here is it built up.

Big thanks to Haro 82 for sending me the dust cap I needed for the pedal, what a good bloke!  Cheers Mate.  I picked up the Izumi chain from Munners.

The finished product . . . nearly, just waiting on the padset from Firebird and the chain tensioners and its all done for the moment.  I'm a very very happy boy.

I'm going to be going on my 1st Ride this weekend I think   :smitten:  If the weather is any good I will get some more photos of it by the river in the sun and post them up.

Big thanks to everyone who has supplied me with parts and advice throughout the project, including those in my earlier posts.  I've really enjoyed building it and everyone on RAD has been proper helpful.  I know it doesn't live up to Rich the Rhino_macs Laserlite but its going to be a continuing project and I promise I will get those cranks changed soon.  Thanks for your interest Rich.

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Kuwahara KZ-83 Project
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 03:57 PM »
well done - Laserlite's are sweet!

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 04:59 PM »
that is a proper beauty.just pull them bars back a tad!!i want a laserlite now!!!! :4_17_5:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

daz bmx it!

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I heard it said before?...I've even said it myself before?...and I'm gonna say it again?....."I loves Owt like that me!" :4_17_5: crackin build that bud :daumenhoch:

rhino_mac

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Lovely build mate!!! See, you've gone about it the right way and built a lovely bike that you can ride!! Mine just takes up room in the house!

Sweet build - I promise I'll pop those XC2 decals in the post for you - I keep forgetting but this has reminded me again.

The padset from Firebird really finishes them off lovely but it's stunning right now.

Well done mate, you must be well chuffed!

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Cheers Guys. Im completely over the moon with it. Im going to take it round Richmond Park and back via the pubs later! :-)  I reckon you should get your bike out and get some mud on it Rich? It would drive me potty not riding it, sitting there teasing me in the living room, you know you want to, Mmm mud!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara KZ-83 Project

gfxgfx
gfx gfx