gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 03:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Are they really that bad
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are they really that bad  (Read 2642 times)

rhino_mac

Are they really that bad
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:37 PM »
OK, just read the thread discussing criteria for entering OS at the Brits and noticed some comments at the end of the thread about 80's bikes being too weak to race properly now we're a wee bitty heavier than when we were 8!!

I built up a Laserlite for doing a bit of OS at Iford (but then spent so much money on it I was scared to ride it!). Are early 80's bikes that bad when it comes to racing nowadays? I know the frame geometry is a little short but I never figured strength would be an issue.

I'm starting to build a stock of parts again and am thinking of an old school racer once again - one I can ride this time!!

Am I wasting my time thinking of racing a 1980-84 bike? I was thinking of a Redline/Mongoose/Kuwie - I'm 6'2 and 14 stone so I know it's going to be a bit of a laugh. Not expecting to win any races (didn't when I was 10 so why start now!).

Old school to me is around this era - in 1990 I was riding a moped and chasing girls. So I don't really want to end up on a "mid school" bike with 1" fork and caliper brakes just because it's lOS egal, or more importantly, strong enough to take my fat arse!

Any thoughts?

rhino_mac

Re: Are they really that bad
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:49 PM »

se

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:27 AM »
You just have to learn to ride with light-footed grace and precision. That's what I've been told anyway. I'm a similar size and the bikes bends a lot, but I just assume that might help cushion the falls.  ::)

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:32 AM »
well i ride 1989/90 haro and hes it flexes a bit but been riding it for over 2 yars now and its still in one piece and on top of that im 16 stone .

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Mid skool racing  ???

rhino_mac

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 10:53 AM »
I think my problem is that I was planning on riding something from 1990 to 84, rather than 89-90.

I like the idea of a bendy bike cushioning the falls though   ;D

magna13

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Well i have raced a Raleigh Burner and im 12 stone and im 6ft. I dont feel any flex in it at all, i get on really well with it when ever i can race it. and its an 1985 bike!

PK6061

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27 PM »
alot less chance of falling off a longer top tube bike. stops you
        hanging your ass out. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 05:47 PM »
alot less chance of falling off a longer top tube bike. stops you
        hanging your ass out. :LolLolLolLol:

nothin stops you from hangin yer ass out  :-*

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Well i have raced a Raleigh Burner and im 12 stone and im 6ft. I dont feel any flex in it at all, i get on really well with it when ever i can race it. and its an 1985 bike!

Your skills are astounding :2funny:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

ROX

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I use the same bike I used in 1983, my Firebird, I'm 6ft and 12 stone, and although I'm crap, it really has nothing to do with the bike! ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:11 PM by ROX »

moley

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Some people like smaller bikes.

Man Mountain Kenny Scullion rides a Robinson Pro and I think they are only 19.5" TT.   He doesn't even use an XL Stem.

Smoothy always seem to do alright on his old CW racer!!

You just need to ride it and see how it feels.

I kept banging my knees on my bars on a Haro Group One RS1.

It feels more stable riding with a proper 20.5" TT.  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 01:22 PM »
I think it goes without saying that 80's/early 90's bikes are weaker/flexier than today's bikes (you only have to look at the diameter of the tubes of the old bikes compared to new bikes to work that out).  But most of them will stand up to old school racing.  It's when people start riding them like Glen that they should start worrying about breaking them.

moomin

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 01:29 PM »
It's all about peeps trying to bend the rules, Ratty is 5ft 9 and about 18 stone atm, he is riding a 1983 PL20 and it's absolutely fine, so it's not technically as strong as mid/new school but it will still stand up to the job  :daumenhoch:

scott250

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I don't race, but I do like to play on tracks a bit.  No way would I do it on a bmx from the 80s  :P .  You have to ride fairly fast to clear those gaps, I wouldn't like a frame to snap on me doing 20 to 25 mph.  I'm 5-10 and 15 1/2 stone.  80s forks are the worst too - they used to bend just plain rinding, landing of a big jump - I think mine bent just looking at them, haha.  Them old frames must be a bit weak from years of riding (if not NOS) or rust.  S'pose it depends on how you ride too - but even if your smooth I wouldnt trust the OS stuff.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I don't race, but I do like to play on tracks a bit.  No way would I do it on a bmx from the 80s  :P .  You have to ride fairly fast to clear those gaps, I wouldn't like a frame to snap on me doing 20 to 25 mph.  I'm 5-10 and 15 1/2 stone.  80s forks are the worst too - they used to bend just plain rinding, landing of a big jump - I think mine bent just looking at them, haha.  Them old frames must be a bit weak from years of riding (if not NOS) or rust.  S'pose it depends on how you ride too - but even if your smooth I wouldnt trust the OS stuff.

Never seen or heard of any oldschool frames/forks snaping whilst doing the oldschool race series, but I do know of a few oldschool racers that have ;D

I'm sure it'll happen one day though, more people are starting to jump...  some further than others :shocked:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

ROX

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 03:46 PM »

very few OS racers jump, they roll over everything

Ahem...  ;)

http://kevmalone.jalbum.net/North%20Regional%20Series/Round%204%20-%20Leeds/slides/DSC_5912.html

moley

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:53 PM »

Did you manage to land it okay?  ???

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 03:58 PM »
At the back, but in the air!  :daumenhoch:

Although my "Old School" racer is a 1990 so maybe its a bit stronger than early 80s frames, it still has the same shitty forks that every bike had till A-head came along.  :-[

ROX

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 04:02 PM »

Did you manage to land it okay?  ???

Yeah! As well as could be expected for an old coffin dodger!  ;D

Saying that though I had a really heavy landing in the previous race, but the old 'bird is still going strong (unlike my arms)!

moley

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 04:23 PM »
At the back, but in the air!  :daumenhoch:

Yep you weren't quickest but you weren't exactly busting a gut either!!

Stylin' over jumps.  Sometimes its just better to look gooooooooood!!! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Are they really that bad

gfxgfx
gfx gfx