gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 20, 2024, 03:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  WARNING! Renthal bars
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WARNING! Renthal bars  (Read 7694 times)

billycrabtreeomer

WARNING! Renthal bars
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Can remeber thred about renthal bars and who would & wouldnt use them and heres my verdict.
No No No No No No not for todays jumps & tracks. I was so lucky not to of been jumping or racing.
I was mucking about and landed the first set of doubles at herne bay track short and heavy at 1 mph
which let me roll down the back of the jump knowing somethink had spapped stop on the grass saftly
 to relise my bars had snapped.
Best bit was Olly s had a set of spare bars in his car for sale that matched my renthals.
They were fitted 5 mins atfer and tested and the difference is amazing as they dont flex.
Hello S&M bars R.I.P renthal bars.

Cheers olly

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: WARNING! Renthal bars
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:17 PM »
What Glen said ^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Aluminium bars for bigger riders.  Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!   Humps

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:09 PM »
"Please Sir im only little !  i didnt mean to break them. Wots next on the bike.

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:25 PM »
In fairness to Renthal, those bars are very old.

But I agree in principle, cro-moly bars all the way.

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:49 PM »
yep they was very old used and abused by me n others.

here's a pic of the renthals in action weeks before they cracked

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:18 PM »
yep they was very old used and abused by me n others.

here's a pic of the renthals in action weeks before they cracked

:shocked: No wonder they broke, the poor feckers had been pulled all over the place  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I've raced a set of new school Crupi Pro Al bars for the last 3 years with no problems at all.

The problem here would have been the age of the bars in question and also the Billy can ride properly as well.  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 04:03 PM »
That's a fooking big hop!

How high?

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:58 PM »
I've raced a set of new school Crupi Pro Al bars for the last 3 years with no problems at all.

The problem here would have been the age of the bars in question and also the Billy can ride properly as well.  :daumenhoc

Dam should have sold them to you Zippy. I did keep a spare set of os bars. But cheated & put on a New School set anyway

kevin (A.K.A) kai riviere

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 04:50 PM »
don't think it quite warrants a warning, there are many bars by many a reputable name that have bent, twisted or broken & lasted 10 times less than the renthal. considering the renthals we're designed & produced nearly 30 years ago you should've been more than happy with them.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 04:38 PM »
don't think it quite warrants a warning, there are many bars by many a reputable name that have bent, twisted or broken & lasted 10 times less than the renthal. considering the renthals we're designed & produced nearly 30 years ago you should've been more than happy with them.

Hey Kev

I think the warning is more about riding with a 30yo pair of alloy bars more than riding with a pair of alloy Renthals  ;).

Marty  :angel:

magna13

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Renthal Rules. i agree with the 30 year bar statement :)

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 01:56 PM »
1981. DOH!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 03:58 PM »
1981. DOH!

You want to know how that happened?  When fitting the bars the edges of the stem were not filed back a touch and what happens is the edges dig into the bars and create a weak spot/failure point  :daumenhoch:

Great pic though and a thoroughly nice bike although not sure it's 1981 with alloy hubbed Tuffs and DX pedals, maybe 82 or early 83   :coolsmiley:

AL

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Thats very True  Marty  C... 

Ive lost count of the amount of MX Bikes ive owned that have had ( Honda bend ) alloy Renthals on ...           I have a pair on my Current Triumph speed Triple Streetfighter , that is wheelied and abused , and its  no light weight !!

I would doubt they would have  made   BMX + MX  bars in a a different  grade  Alloy ?

So as Marty says   " Get your file out "

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Yeah,I remember around the time that they snapped reading an article in Bicycle Motocross Action about filing the edges of the stem. The file did make an appearance for my next pair of Renthals. I was learning 540 ramp kickturns at the time & remember thinking "thank god they didn't snap mid kickturn!"

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Love the piture hotdog, hope you or whoever rode it didnt get hurt. Reminds me of the time i snapped suntore stem as a kid jumping H/B doubles in the 80's.
Soooooooooooooo lucky to of had a crash hat on as i headbutted the sharp edge of stem attached to the bike. I got up after and relised the massive
scrap mark on my raleigh crash hat. 

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 03:34 PM »
can't be that bad though, thought renthals were on x-fighter type crossers and the like.
ding dong

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Kev couldnt reply till i found the anwser to your post and a few others fair comment. My post should have prahaps been titled ,
Warning old aluminum bmx products.

I have now learnt that alloy getting constat impact can suffer from micro cracks, Fatigue or nucleation. And depending on the
rider & style, a build up of these cracks result in snapped part. Alloy part have a sell buy date and that rendered my bars to be
past there sell buy date along time ago.
 :) :) :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  WARNING! Renthal bars

gfxgfx
gfx gfx