gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975763 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 06:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Change of direction...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Change of direction...  (Read 872 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Change of direction...
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:25 PM »
I hate having to admit this but this bike building lark i'm getting a fed up with, sick of all the parts everywhere, bikes unfinished, parts i'm unable to get (something simple like a blue haro lever for example), bits to restore/clean etc..  its driving me nuts  >:(  :-[ And I don't think this is a phase i'm going through neither.

I much prefer riding them now, although I don't have anyone to ride out with much unless we do our get together / cruises. And I think i've finally got this new school bug, I love my Kuwi 24" Lazerlite Cruiser, I can't stop riding that!  :D

I've had several aims this year, and many of them was to finish my Haro gen 1's and my GT's etc.. but now I can't be bolloxed. The TRM and my 84 Haro i'll complete and keep, but going forward and building properly again, who knows. I will be putting a load up for sale soon, tons of parts, also my Kuwi Nova frame/forks which is the rare looptail one, plus my Skyway TA and a few other f/f's. With the sprog on the way in 8 weeks time and parts everywhere its just not practical anymore. I really never thought i'd get the hump with it but I have. This aside, I'm looking forward to MK though and catching up with many of you and seeing all the hard work in the show and shine  :daumenhoch:

Matt  :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Change of direction...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:27 PM »
It happened to me ages ago, I much prefer to ride than polish now, alyhough I still love seeing the works of art some of you produce. And perhaps when circumstances are better I will start building some new stuff, but for now its ride them all the way :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Matt that's exactly how I feel about it all mate I can't be bothered to finish my builds anymore and to be honest I'm sick of the site of all the bikes and parts their just in the way.

I would hapilly sell everything and have just 1 quality bike to ride but can't be arsed to list everything on ebay >:(

Selling up might be the best idea though :-\

bodamus :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:59 PM »
I think its a vicious circle, i'm forever getting bored mainly due to the frustration of not finding certain parts. Then a week or so later i'm well up for it again.

My Kuwi is nearly done, just waiting on a black and silver chain, finding one of these has been a major ball ache and has made me just want to say sod it but then scoring a M'goose at a car booty got me all excited again and even prompted me to get the wheels built for my Kuwi.

If it was me Matt, especially with the sun out, i'd ride that cruiser of yours and look forward to the birth of your little un cause after he/she is born you won't find too much time to do things like that.
As for the building lark, keep the rare stuff and come back to another day.  ;)
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:11 PM »
comes and goes dude...

sell the stuff that was bought on a whim, and store the stuff you really wanted..

i'm in the process of thinning stuff out a bit, but having done one of the jmc's, im struggling beyond that, because i like everthing else....

dusted off the frogangle last night and went for a blast..only 20 mins, but enjoyed tootling about....

set some time aside and have a sort into eseential stuff and none essential...

then look at it again mate.

my 2p anyway :daumenhoch:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:20 PM »
swing and roundabouts

I sold all my non SE stuff and decided to just keep 4 SE bikes that i wanted
ripper loop
quad loop
floval loop
reynolds quad

other than that i am not getting anymore ,done the loft full of parts and bikes and the SE stuff does it for me

saying that if a 26inch om  flyer came up , i would be wanting it

selling a shite load of stuff is very good for the soul and made me appreciate what i have and am happy to plod along with the collection and dont seem to be getting upset quitre so much

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Just keep your arse in tact Matt J.T is bound to PM you with an offer  ;)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I know what your sayin Matt, i've been of that view for a while, I haven't bought anything for ages, apart from the od tenner here and there,

Agree with Bodamus, I'd sell a load of stuff if o could be arsed,
the missus is getting fed up with bikes all over the place too, and i'd rather have a big holiday with the cash tbh,

it's gone a bit stale. I just hope MK will inspire us to start over again?
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:35 PM »
i think once you have achieved your goal in getting all the bikes you remember, you then think 'now what'!!!  everything i have sold i have regretted it, thats why i try not to sell anything, i have 14 o/s builds now,and 3 retro, just the last 2 need fine tuning, thats it for me then, more than i ever predicted, and more than i ever need....
though there is always room for one more quad' or ripper.... :D
thank god all mine are uptight outer sight, allright, dwight....  
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

daz bmx it!

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Mmm? felt this way for a bit myself to? Got the Curtis's in storage,and a couple of bikes on the go,then gonna buy a new MTB Hardtail f+f's build that and try and get a bit fitter this summer! the end :daumenhoch:

jedi

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55 PM »
riding....always

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03 PM »
i think now the site has become newtered to the enth degree, the comaradere that once was here is no longer...

the hobby isnt the same without the comaradere.

people can flame me all they want, but its got something to do with, of that i am certain.

add the credit crunch to that, and a lot of people are getting the stale, whats the point blues...

to some people, a lot of time and money in this hobby will end up wasted.....

shame really, but shit happens....

i still like my bikes, and i dont need access to the dough in them, so most of them will be staying....

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:27 PM by J.T »

munners

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Ive sold 16 bikes in the last year!!!! Cant believe that i even got so addicted. :idiot2:

Ive kept just 1 which is a rep of the bike i had as a kid. :smitten:

I now love that bike more than ever. Dont miss the others at all and i had everything.

Got a few parts left and i cant wait to get rid and wipe the slate clean and move on.

The ass has dropped out of it financially and i am finding that i am losing out massively on parts i have bought...ie NOS red DX bought for £250 and sold yesterday for £125!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Happy i got out when i did but i will always love the site and the friends i have made on it.

Atmostphere has gone very stale lately though.....maybe its because i dont buy anymore. I loved buying and building but im glad it has stopped!

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 09:57 PM »
sad to hear some of you veterans(some i have bought stuff off) saying this.
i only got back into bmx about 9 months ago and am getting a good buzz off it as it takes my mind off other stuff.
like tonight,i went out and fitted a dia compe mx 1000 with lever and cable onto my mrd and loved it.
i could never afford those bits as a kid always had the copies so to see those parts on the bike made me feel 14 again!
i suppose you were the same when you started and like any hobby,you have days when you feel bored of it.
maybe time away from it makes it more fun again later? :daumenhoch:

keep it lit!

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 09:59 PM »

its all a laugh at the end of the day  ;)

magna13

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I think having a few show pony's is a good idea but to have so many that it just drains and drains money out of your account is ludacris, i'd much prefer buy a bike to ride rather than look at, its the way it was built/designed for :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28 PM »

its all a laugh at the end of the day  ;)

good shout, all in one sentence too...i'm stunned :D

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32 PM »
More or less since day one of getting back into this hobby , I 've been riding  :)

It's the heart of what BMX is about

I bought a PK Ripper of Ebay , refurbed it took it to a Skatepark rode the fecker
and realised I needed a New school bike immediately  ;D

Did just that  and didnt first log on here till about 10 months later recommende by Bof who told me a guy called Sandro was selling some bars I needed  ::)

Thats when the collecting kicked in  >:D  
following year went MK and realised when I took my Quadangle ( which set me back a cool grand ) I realised the standard of my bike was pretty much run of the mill and not gonna win any prizes  :crazy2:  :LolLolLolLol:

Cut down from 10 bikes to 2 last year ( a few regrets)
crept back upto 5 again now though with a couple more on the horizon  :idiot2:

About 18 months ago  started dabbling in the Northern O/S racing and still do to present

Still like the building collecting as , I enjoy the resto work , I think you need to have that need for a part to keep you interested in that side of the hobby

and the riding part , I love because you get out , and about meet up with mates , find new friends , and the buzz of riding BMX

You've got to be involved to keep interest,

As they say in the dubbing world

"Be part of the scene , not the scenery "  ;)

matt

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35 PM »
ive been selling my stuff over the last 2 years, only got a pro class and torker left now and the torker will be going soon, pro class was my dream bike as a kid and ill never part with that.

sweetbeats

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:36 PM »
Deep thread  :D,
I think the crunch hit bmx...I had to use my gen2 money to pay a tax bill when work was slower...stu27 stripped the fooker down like lightning and suddenly she was no more.
Need a summer bike don't think I can be arsed to build a dream bike that I have to stop myself riding, so going to fish around for a mid range TA complete,GT complete next month or sumthun and ride the bitch nasty.
Would love to do my dream bikes chrome trickstar usa,aerospeeds etc..gen 1 with proper grafs and a NOS Shotgun 1....aint going to happen as I want to treat my girlfriend and little lad now things have picked up and she took a backseat when the BMX perversion kicked in.
Funny old Game..But you Gotta love it !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Change of direction...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx