gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:45 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Midschool rider, brake question, help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Midschool rider, brake question, help please  (Read 1542 times)

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Midschool rider, brake question, help please
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:52 PM »
What brakes do I need for this GT. I know they are some sort of centre pull type thing, but as I am clueless, can anyone tell me what thet are called. Better still, anyone got any?  :LolLolLolLol:
It has a potts mod if that makes any difference.

Also, are these wheels any good;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7211075514&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220799865&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Thanks for lloking Dudes and Dudettes, Ad  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

Re: Midschool rider, brake question, help please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 06:11 PM »
hi adam not sure3 on the brakes maybe they are v brakes but only way of knowing is trying some im afraid .wheels wise the sumos are okay though bit dear to me for those as you know they come on here quite lot and are bit cheaper usually .otherwis ego for [air alex rims on ebay they are only 22.00 i think and are okay if your not gonna hammer it .

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Cheers Greg. I don't think they are V brakes, as they work on a different pivot point than these. These ones "see saw" type of pivot, if you know what I mean. I think mid school rippers use these type of brake. They have a centre pull type cable I think.
Have you got a link to the Alex rims, cannot find em. Cheer Greg, Ad  :daumenhoch:

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Are they "U" brakes???????

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Looks like they are positioned for U brakes, so you gets your choice. I guess 990's were probabaly right for early days.

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:41 PM »
must have ended or summat cant find em
these are cheapies though will be okay if your not going to hammer em in parks
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-inch-wheels-bmx-etc-wheel-20-in-1-75_W0QQitemZ7220189130QQcategoryZ58089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Cheers Greg. Wanted some that are up for a bit of hammer, as I am going "park" as I have one just opened down the road from me. (about 5 mins ride), so was gonna get some practice in now the weather is gonna get better. Cheers, Ad

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 07:14 PM »
The rear brake, mounted down on the chainstay will be an AD990.  You could run one of those or an hombre  (simpler block fixing), no worries.

Up front,  there were the odd bike that had canti lugs fitted, but the majority were AD as well, so if you try your rear on the front and the blocks look right to the rim, game on!

Coincidentally,  I have a s/h AD990 for the front for sale at the moment...... ;)

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Next question; If they take "U" brakes (which I think is correct, cheers San) then where or what does the cable attach to on the front? Is there a bracket that bolts to the fork drilling? Cheers, Ad

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 07:21 PM »
The cable goes straight into the brake, but you do need to run a potts mod stem bolt as the cable comes out of the bottom of the steerer tube and then comes back up to the brake. I would recommend running a modern cable (Odyssey Slic or better still a Linear), as I think something old won't  take the tight bend too well.

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:22 PM »
The rear brake, mounted down on the chainstay will be an AD990.  You could run one of those or an hombre  (simpler block fixing), no worries.

Up front,  there were the odd bike that had canti lugs fitted, but the majority were AD as well, so if you try your rear on the front and the blocks look right to the rim, game on!

Coincidentally,  I have a s/h AD990 for the front for sale at the moment...... ;)

Got any details please Roberto  ;D
Cheers San, Ad

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 07:27 PM »

Got any details please Roberto  ;D
Cheers San, Ad

Yeah mate....  AD990,  silver arms with the relevant adjuster and clamp to run on the front. £5.   :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 08:13 PM »
i really like those GT frames
they are a nice shape
and you have a good one there, with AD lugs front and rear
but then that is just my opinion.

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Dave Volker, that's the chap I am thinking of. Is this like his signature frame.

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Don't really know. It was a bargain tho, £10.50 !!!!. It is nice and long; 36" wheelbase, 20" top tube. It came with a GT stem, seat post and clamp too.
Can't find a frame no. though have not looked too hard for it as only got it today.
Ad  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Don't really know. It was a bargain tho, £10.50 !!!!. It is nice and long; 36" wheelbase, 20" top tube.

if you want to sell please give me first refusal!!!!
its exactly the size of bike i like

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Will do, but its early days yet.  :LolLolLolLol:  ;) Ad

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Midschool rider, brake question, help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx