gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline experts - i need your help with these early forks !!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline experts - i need your help with these early forks !!!!!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Right then the story............

...... I got a nice survivor 1977 mongoose from the US - all nice original '77 mongoose spec survivor parts with a couple of optional extras that must have been selected when purchased back in the day. It came with lovely survivor Gen1 Araya 7b's which were an option in the mongoose catalogue back then - and now to the point - it also came with a set of redline forks on too - well mongoose sold redline equipment in there catalogue back then so i'm thinking these were probably opted for back when the bike was bought in place of the heavy ashtabulas that would have been standard or the more expensive roger decoster forks - the thing is they have newer decals on but the whole bike was plastered in newer redline decals  :idiot2: so i'm thinking someone got some decals and got bored  ;D The reason i believe they are very early redline forks is because firstly they have no hole drilled for a front caliper, and secondly the bottom of the fork tubes are closed off rather than open with a cap in them....................

So redline buffs are these very early forks ? Are they worth a few bob ? I doubt i'd sell 'em but might swap them for an early set of mongoose team forks - but for now i think i'll get them re-powdered and they can go on my '79 team until it gets the right forks  :daumenhoch:

Any input would be great - pics below (sorry they're a bit crap  :-[ ) bottom pic from the '77 mongoose catalogue :

:daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
They look good to me, bin those shit stickers though ;)

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
They look like the early Fork used on the 78 Redline Squareback to me... note the welded solid ends to the forks. The Redline forks that came out after these have chrome end caps in them.

Your forks have the wrong decals on them too - 83/84 Redline era decals. Also your forks would have been originally nickel plated to match the finish on the Squareback frame.

I reckon the forks you have are pretty rare and hard to come by fella  :daumenhoch:

John

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Nice one  :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
Nic eone john

you jammy get !
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
  :-[      :angel:      :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline experts - i need your help with these early forks !!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx