gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  advice on a redline build ,,,,any know it alls out there lol
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: advice on a redline build ,,,,any know it alls out there lol  (Read 2194 times)

trasher

hello chaps
my next build i,m planning on doing is a stu thompson rep (like the picture below)

first question is ,are the stu-v bars ,stamped stu ,or just the normal redline v-bars sticker'd

also,, i can see most of what components i need but are the pedals kkt amx or mksbm 15 ,,or something totally different

and does a redline fluted seatpost come up often  ::)

i guess there will be more questions as i go on

oh and another question ,,,the frame is chrome already ,,,,so i thought about this version ,,,but the cost would be mega
with the 400 series no pinch cranks  :D   what would you go for ,,i dont have a white bike at the moment ,,plus the cost to put the white one  together is more inviting  :daumenhoch:

snav69

Re: advice on a redline build ,,,,any know it alls out there lol
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:13 PM »
The Redline Stu bars have the words "STR Series" on the left and Redline on the right below the sticker  :daumenhoch:

:coolsmiley:

trasher

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:23 PM »
The Redline Stu bars have the words "STR Series" on the left and Redline on the right below the sticker  :daumenhoch:

cheers mate ,,,,,i bet you have some in your candy shop don't you  8)

snav69

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30 PM »
 :2funny:
Unfortunately no  :-\  just redline stamped ones  :D

trasher

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36 PM »
:2funny:
Unfortunately no  :-\  just redline stamped ones  :D

:LolLolLolLol:   daz bmx has just told me he has some ,,,but i cant have them  :LolLolLolLol: 

will the redline ones be up for sale when you decide to have another clear out ,,,thats if i cant convince daz  :knuppel2:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Cool build either way Glen , you'll have a job finding the seat on the chrome one though  ;)

If the chrome ( existing ) ain't too good then yeah go white route . Mine may go white at some point .....................

I had a white one like that ( those decals ) bitd  ;)

trasher

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Cool build either way Glen , you'll have a job finding the seat on the chrome one though  ;)

If the chrome ( existing ) ain't too good then yeah go white route . Mine may go white at some point .....................

the chrome looks pretty good mat ,but i do like the white and i'v found a set of those decals ,,even with the bar decal

i love these little winks ,,,like that will be hard to find ,,,,BUT I HAVE ONE ,,,,and you aint having it  :LolLolLolLol:

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Nice love them both, doing the mp20 (mini version)  at the minute, has anyone got any pictures of that?

would be nice to see if this came complete or just as a frame set...

sorry to butt in also.....

:daumenhoch:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:33 AM »
I think the Pedals on the White one are KKT SMX's. I think I've probably still got an NOS pair of those 8)

bodamus :)

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56 AM »
As the sales of the Carerra tailed off and were in decline in 84, Redline "dumbed" down the model to shift existing framesets. 700p was exactly the same frame & forks, although to make the model more attractive (& competitive within essentially a saturated market) a one piece crank was switched allowing owners to add themselves if need be. Also taking away the Suntour locknut,  switching Suntour Pedals for the cheaper KKT's.  Bargain basement grips like Oury were used etc, all shaving a few $$ off the price. Notice how in the 700p ad they were happy to shout the $299 rrp whereas on earlier ads they waited until you got to a dealer for them to break the news...

All parts pretty much come up regular in good used condition, theres nothing reallly rare to get hold of. Stuff like the STR Bars,Fluted post and Brute stem all seen often on U.S. e*ay. 

The main pain for me has been the Ukais.  :-[

One thing of note when hunting a Redline Fluted post I have found. There are varying sizes both in length AND width. 22.2mm and 22.6mm also a 14" length and a 11" length...

I have several here and couldnt understand for the life of me when 3 of them wont fit into my Prolines..... maybe they are for earlier MX frames or something?
I dont know about those as my interest and investigations have just been on the Proline/Carerra II Frameset from 1981-85.

Need any more help give me a PM, but theres plenty of good guys on here who know just as much if not more than I do on these beauties.  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I think that's a good choice for a build, I think these are probably the best looking Redline frames since the Squareback  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:21 AM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09 AM »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm minty

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Pedals are - KKT SMX

I have a redline fluted seatpost - However its 22.6mm diameter

If that'll fit give me a shout
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:16 AM by diesel »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 01:40 PM »

the chrome looks pretty good mat ,but i do like the white and i'v found a set of those decals ,,even with the bar decal

i love these little winks ,,,like that will be hard to find ,,,,BUT I HAVE ONE ,,,,and you aint having it  :LolLolLolLol:

What I mean ref the existing chrome is it'd be a shame to strip a good chrome original one when there are a fair few around that are rougher & could be powdered .

Show me the seat then  ;) , they're rare .

trasher

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34 PM »
thanks for all the input guys
very useful ,,ill be in touch about the kkt pedals ,,,i looked around the web last night and realised what they where  :daumenhoch:

im expecting a post soon (by pigeon) from me old mucker daz ,,,ill see if its the right size

and mat i'v just bought the frame of bof on here ,should have it soon the chrome and drop outs look pretty good

but it has a couple of hairline cracks around the top of the seat tube ,,,which ill have a look at when i get it

i wanted to repair these so i thought the chrome will get damaged ,so i may as well get it striped and powder'd

ill know more when i get it  :daumenhoch:

and the seat mat, i thought you was saying you had one ,,,as for me i dont  :'(

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Read this, it's The PL20 thread...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=38524.0

;)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

trasher

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Dude... I got this chrome PL-20 for sale if you're interested.... mega mint  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=88252.0

Cheers

John

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  advice on a redline build ,,,,any know it alls out there lol

gfxgfx
gfx gfx