gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Is this Skyway knackered ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is this Skyway knackered ?  (Read 1192 times)

bmxbob

Is this Skyway knackered ?
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:01 AM »
So im cleaning up me mates old burner and i found this crack  :shocked: in the rear Skyway, is it knackered ?

Can it be glued ?

Its only cracked from the inside but there is heavy brake wear on the rim of the mag too  ::)

Cheers  8)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Is this Skyway knackered ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:23 AM »
yep its been landed on hard   buggered tbh but probably just about ridable if carefull

bmxbob

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:29 AM »

Thought as much  :'(

Is it worth gluing and clamping ?

snav69

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Is it worth gluing and clamping ?

You've nothing to lose trying it  :daumenhoch:

:coolsmiley:

sid1972

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Get a heat gun on it and see if will shape back - if it will flex back use some epoxy resin and clamp the bleeder!

on plastic car bumpers I have used fibreglass bridger and had some great results with it... but heating it first is the key, plastic retains it's memory from the moulding process and under heat it will revert back to its original shape (u may have already known that, if so sorry to go on).

got to be worth a try!

:daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Get a heat gun on it and see if will shape back - if it will flex back use some epoxy resin and clamp the bleeder!

on plastic car bumpers I have used fibreglass bridger and had some great results with it... but heating it first is the key, plastic retains it's memory from the moulding process and under heat it will revert back to its original shape (u may have already known that, if so sorry to go on).

got to be worth a try!

dont think it will work on skyways, because its not just plastic... ive tried it on zeds....the material just blisters under heat, besides, single skyways do come up on the bay, and you can usually get them for next to nawt, so its probably not worth wasting your time.... :daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:45 PM »
or get some Q bond with plastic filler they use it in bodyshops to repair broken bits on cars
strong as hell

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:26 PM »

got to be worth a try!

dont think it will work on skyways, because its not just plastic... ive tried it on zeds....the material just blisters under heat, besides, single skyways do come up on the bay, and you can usually get them for next to nawt, so its probably not worth wasting your time.... :daumenhoch:

I'd say you used to much heat!   ;D  Blistering indicates that the material is close to reverting back to a liquid form (blob) - this process can be used anything from upvc window frames (after break ins)  to motor bike fairings after the bike has been dropped. It has been used on car bashboards after crashers with great results.

If you are not very confident with the process using a hair dryer is best - but u have stand holding it for a while!!!

If you decide to scrap it, send it me and I will put the above to the test.

Nothing to lose, but time. plus it keeps me busy and away from her indoors! :2funny:  ;D

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:38 PM »
do what i do with mashed parts    turn them into things  that would make a good clock.
i just made a mashed profile mini hub into a salt shacker  pepper on the way next.

bmxbob

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:26 PM »
do what i do with mashed parts    turn them into things  that would make a good clock.
i just made a mashed profile mini hub into a salt shacker  pepper on the way next.

Dont think the misus would have it hangin on the living room wall like  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Clamp it & gently weld/melt back together with a soldering iron ( gas ok too ) .

Only for show though , not riding .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Is this Skyway knackered ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx