gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rust removal - seat guts
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rust removal - seat guts  (Read 2871 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Rust removal - seat guts
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 09:11 PM »
They look ace Danny - but do they taste as nice as my lemon ones  ???  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19 PM »
That's a craking result danny. Up to press i haven't used vinegar. Nearly everything else that's been recommended on here (including brown sauce :D) . In future i will be putting vinegar on my shopping list. :coolsmiley:

I think munners may have recommended brown sauce a bit back. I thought it was a pee take but it worked.
I just looked on the hp bottle and it seems they put vinegar in. Probably why it works then :)

munners

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Ive tried everything for rust removal but without a doubt oxalic is the best. IMO  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Did another set today - these were reeeaalllly bad  :buck2:
Old 70's jobbies - stuck with the lemon juice purely cos there was some left  :LolLolLolLol:

.....bit of polishing and they should be sound  :daumenhoch:

currio

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Yeah, looks good John.
I take it there is no Chrome left on the part ?
They do look good, but you will need to put some coating or something on them, to stop any future corrosion.
What did you plan?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, looks good John.
I take it there is no Chrome left on the part ?
They do look good, but you will need to put some coating or something on them, to stop any future corrosion.
What did you plan?

To be honest Shaun the 2 sets I've done haven't been "chrome" plated originally - it looks like some sort of dull metal coating (galvanized ?) which is pretty much the finish you see in the pics - I don't reckon the lemon juice is harsh enough to eat through the original coating after a 24 hour dip anyways. As for the areas where the rust had eaten right through any original coating and the juice then removed the rust, these are obviously now bare metal - i've read elsewhere that a light rub over with a light cooking oil works well for keeping the unwanted elements at bay :-\  Haven't tried anything as of yet though  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rust removal - seat guts

gfxgfx
gfx gfx