gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Graphite tuffs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Graphite tuffs  (Read 1056 times)

bigsman

Graphite tuffs
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I've been reading up on tuff wheels on here and vintage for a fair while now but I'm still not sure how you can tell for 100% certain whether an 80s metal hubbed tuff is a graphite or not?  It seems that theres a few things to check - the flanges themselves, even though they're not always consistent i.e they don't have to be anno gold.  then theres the writing inside the rim...ok but surely thats a piece of p*** to put on yourself if you were that way inclined so that it looks the part?  And it seems like it can be in white or yellow marker so again more uncertainty.

Other than that I've heard that they 'look' different as in more graphitey coloured  :LolLolLolLol: but I still don't think thats 100% reliable by eye after all these years what with resto techniques like back to black, nitro cleaning etc etc 

I'm thinking the weight has got to be the best method of telling for sure but does anyone know what weight a standard vs graphite tuff should be?

Reason for the question is that I 'think' I've got 3 graphites here but the more I look at one of them the less convinced I am its real.  Its got the rim writing & the 'right' flanges but they are bolted so they could be a red herring.  I also think it looks a bit too black and more like my standard black tuffs than the other 2 graphites but its not night n day.  I'd just like to come up with a way of knowing for sure...anybody got any ideas/surefire ways of finding out?

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Graphite tuffs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Maybe try to throw it into a fire and see how it burns  :LolLolLolLol:

Ok, I'll get my coat..

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27 PM »
i weighed my graffites and they were heavier than normal skyways, not by much though.... 

R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

bigsman

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Maybe try to throw it into a fire and see how it burns  :LolLolLolLol:

Ok, I'll get my coat..

Cloakrooms thataway dude ==>   :LolLolLolLol:

bigsman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09 PM »
i weighed my graffites and they were heavier than normal skyways, not by much though.... 

That blows that theory out the water then I just assumed they were supposed to be lighter  :shocked:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:15 PM »

Whats the % of graphite in those wheels ( it`s what the writing inside the rim refers to) because they look too black to me, and they should be lighter and stiffer than the normall tuffs  ::)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:17 PM »
my graphite z rims are lighter than the normal ones.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Weight comparisons .

Gen 3 Graphite Tuff II on left , Standard Tuff II on right .

Graphite = 2 lb 8 3/4 oz
Standard = 2 lb 12 1/4 oz

Approx weights from old kitchen scales ( not digital ) .

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:25 PM »
could these be copies... :-X

the writing reads  GN.8C  then there is the valve hole, then  1 11 84 (year?) then OHI in smaller writing,  does this make any sence? 
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Graphite tuffs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx