gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What years do you collect? What years do you class as "Old School"? POLL ADDED !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What years do you collect? What years do you class as "Old School"? POLL ADDED !  (Read 1272 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Added a poll for a bit of fun  :angel:

.... get your decision in  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
what a great thread,always wondered what everyone else thought was classed as proper old school.for me it ended in 86,anything after that is mid for me,bmx died a death around our way by 87,two mates of mine who were bros both got rid of their bmx's in 87, one traded his torker 280 for a claude butler racer,wtF!!!! the other his raleigh aero pro for a mtb!!my robbo r gusset gathered dust in our garage for a further year till i  got shot of it in may 88,bad times!! :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Tricky subject this. I'd have said around '85 which is soley based on the fact it was when I sold my beloved Cali and spent the money on a lads holiday chasing birds.....

My collection is therefore 1978 to about '84 / '85 with the single exception of a Haro with an '88 serial number. It's my daily rider and I love it as it cost bugger all in a lucky eBay moment from the States. My collection is now limited to Monggose and Haro, with an Ammaco as it was the first bike I had back in '82, but I do fancy building a decent GT form about '82 '83 or '84 one day before I hang my spurs up.......

Spen :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

bmxbert

im a who cares vote. technically i could ride a 1" dyno compe from the early to mid 90s in an old school race just because it has no brake mounts and a 1" headtube.

so who gives a fook when it starts or ends. bmx is bmx. think i'll stop now before i get on one :-X

crack on lads :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
i view old school as ending around the 86/87 but i actually stopped riding my BMX about 85.

as for collecting?  i don't really collect anything in particular.......i have an 84 Goose, a 93 Hyper and the others are all new school.....if something pops up that i like the look of then i'll think about buying it, i don't go out to buy a particular make or year though.

:daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
im guessing alot depends on how old you are as well,ive just hit 36 and seem to be a tad younger than alot of the members here.i really got into bmx in 83,this was when i was 10 and being a short ass about the soonest a 20" was the right size for me.i bmx'd passionately thru to the end of 86 when i was 13 1/2,by this time im guessing alot of the other guys here would have left school yonks before and been chasing women and  working full time so their bmx years were well past them by then.
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

JT71

I think old school finished with 1" Headsets and "crappy" brakes.

And I collect anthing I can get past the wife  >:D and I like the look of new, mid, old

so this isn't mid school then!

but I know what you are saying, 1 1/8" headsets and AD brakes really were the change from old to mid....and a little added weight.

personally i don't collect as such, but have an 83 TA (91 dirt bros style), the 91 haro sport and a DK which is late 90s i think

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
I'd say AD lugs , bash guards indicates the change to Mid school

and the changing back to sub 5.5lbs in weight and sub 44t chainrings is deffo new school

Actually people would more likely say '99 onwards is newschool and mid was '91 onwards

If your talking O/S racing though then old school is anything pre- May 16th 2009

trasher

went to canada in 85 and while i was there my dad sold my curtis  :2gunsfiring_v1:  so it ended there for me

can remember seeing mtb's in canada and how cheap they where compared to the uk ,think that was kind of the
crossover  time for me

oh and as jt said ,,special brew on a saturday night down the school disco ,,,, and birds  >:D was the end off it

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
pre 85, about the cut off date for old school.
ding dong

JT71

the point where fingers were for girls not brake levers.

spot on.

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Post 86/87 saw the borth of mid school and the demise of old school  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What years do you collect? What years do you class as "Old School"? POLL ADDED !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx