gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old school races.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old school races.  (Read 1511 times)

hotplate

Old school races.
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:59 PM »
Ok here is the deal , was there a race for old school bikes only at Dagenham ? :idiot2: It's just that apart from Bourmouth in August,  there does not seem to be any other races for these bikes in the south  :idiot2: Will ther be one back at Bourmouth this year ?? or is the jury still out on location ? I know that a few years back Alan from Alans BMX , used to have an old school class of it's own . Also would any one be interested in doing a sponcered bike ride on our old bikes ?   :4_17_5: Looking through the latest bike events , there are loads that could be done  :D .
The London to Southend is a good one  that I have done many times,  ok maybe it was on a light mountian bike ! but the thought of a load of old bastards on old school bikes,  will get people smiling  :2funny: The london  to Brighton would be even better  :daumenhoch:  Is there a charity RADBMX would like to ride for ( someone in involved in the scene in the past that reached out and touch many people in the sport .) I will post bike events link soon . This does not have to be a southern thing only.

Kevin  Race inc

greentoad

Re: Old school races.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 12:04 AM »
Hi

I think there was a post about a ride from London to Brighton.

I met some mountain / trail riders yesterday who do the 3 peaks etc and they are all doing the L to B.

Maybe it could be fun?

J.

se

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:04 AM »
I'd be up for it. Which bike though?  :o

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Most South clubs are up for OS races , Hawks , BAD , Kent & Andover .

See the Dagenham post (12th Feb) & Team Teapot's post on that thread.

wolfybmx

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:44 AM »
check the east kent bmx web site race reports o s racin is well attended here. there has been plenty of request for guys/ girls to bring their o s bmx's and race at the hersden meets but very poorly attended even when the guys on here say that they will come.

jazzyje

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 12:36 PM »
south region will always put on an o/s race.they have been supporting o/s racing for the five years i have been back into the sport and continue to do so.the people who dont support it unfortunately are you, the oldschoolers.you say the tracks are to hard,your to unfit,you've got decorating to do.anything to get out of racing your bike.you dont even need a license to race oldschool.
   scott dick even put on o/s races at nass when we raced there a couple of years running.you've got no excuses from an admin/organisation side of things not to race as much as possible.you've just got to get your act together and say"right,bournemouth on the 12th march.who's going?" and your there having the time of your life.
   since last year when we ran a o/s class at hersden we have seen at least 4 riders graduate into competitive racing.one even winning the 40+ southern title and finishing 6th at the brits.another now winning races at 30/39 regionals regularly.
   fire off emails to club secretarys if you dont believe me.they'll all say yes and be glad to accomodate you.failing that get a cruiser and have some real fun.

Rooonga

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Total agreement with jazzyje!

We had an old school class available at Dagenham, but no-one wanted to race it. Instead we thought we'd have an old school race in the gap between moto's and finals - but again no takers!

Maybe we'll see some at Bournemouth?

MeddlE

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:56 PM »
I thought the o/s class was quite well supported last year at Hersden, certainly never had an empty gate.  Heck, we even sponsored one of the meets.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I think Hersden may be an exception though.

I started racing again at Hersden last year and I'm totally hooked. I entered my first Regional a couple of weeks ago at Hersden and although I was last I still had a great time.

This year I'm aiming to race in all the sumer series at Hersden (cruiser and old school) and do all the regionals as well. I'll probably come last (except hersden where I'll cream them, especially that old Rusty fella) but it's the laugh I have doing it that's important. I'm getting fitter, my riding is improving and I'm meeting some great people.

I would have got into all this about a year earlier had I had the balls to just get out there and do it, but to be honest it wasn't until I discovered this site that I realised that there was loads of guys doing just that.

Kev is a great example of the spirit of old school, he turns up at Hersden each race meet knowing he'll probably be last, but he goes out and gives it his all and comes back each meet to give it another go.

If your thinking about it just get out there and do it. It's a laugh and you'll love it.

oldskoolsux

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 06:43 PM »
There's always an excuse with oldskoolers! It's either to wet or to dusty, who wants to get there 80's piece of scrap metal dirty  :D

As has been said. the south region have an old school category at all regionals, Just they dont bother to show up. Then you get threads like this saying "There's not enough old school races"   :wtf:

MeddlE

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Bad karma for you matey. ;D

darren

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:06 PM »
andover bmx club welcome oldschoolers and mountain bikers, the track is not too demanding and we have a meeting on easter monday. so if you want to race just show up and register.
come along and see if you have still got it or not  ;)
i only started back 2yrs ago have ridden oldschool and new , os bikes are very twitchy compared to new bikes but it dont matter what you ride just get off ya arse and ride. :daumenhoch:

QuadPaul

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:08 PM »
So come on then, who's up for racing old school at Bournemouth on the 12th Mar?

I am, I was also campaning on here to get an Old school class at BAD a few weeks ago but we only had 3 takers so it didn't happen, oh yeah and it peed it down with rain so I didn't want to get my OS bike dirty :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:26 PM »
When I first saw this thread I thought ............................

Can of worms  :LolLolLolLol:

Where's Team Teapot ? (come on Rich , you normally moan a good 'un  ;D )

Hey Jazzy , how's it goin' ?

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 08:36 PM »
the oldskool class is good for getting back into racing, i did a similar thing, used my old whitehawk a few times.

You soon realise though that the nu skool bikes are a lot better for riding, jumping and racing in general (feel a lot safer too), so you buy one, race 30+ or whatever and knock the old skool on the head! (except for bournemouth/etc once a year where its all oldskool)

i still like the oldskool class, and for the reasons above are good to have at races, it got me back into bmx, although now i'm having more fun in a skatepark, messing about learning grinds, spines etc :daumenhoch:

Bren Gunn

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48 PM »
 I always find looking in Parks, Tracks and gatherings is a good place to start for oldschool race meetings. The one that caught my eye was...

MK weekend in August ?

Check it out. ;)

You will all be welcome at Hartlepool Track when it's complete, you will see gates bursting with oldschool shite and new fangled pedal cycles racing in perfect harmony.

As for Alans olsdschool races, they were an Oldschool Event which happened once or twice a year, not just something tagged on to a number of regionals. They had a great atmosphere and generated a buzz in the oldschool community

Oh yeh... and most were held in the North of England and all had a good turn out ::)

Bren

wolfybmx

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 09:13 PM »
YES COME ON GUYS.
ITS PEOPLE WHO TURN UP AND ACTUALLY HAVE A GO THAT WILL INCREASE THE TURN OUT.
YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. LIKE MANY GUYS HAVE SAID STOP MOANING THAT THERE AINT ANY MEETINGS DOIN OLD SCHOOL GET OF YA BUTTS AND ON YA BIKES.
YOUR FITNESS WILL SOON COME AND YOU MIGHT SUPPRIES YOUR SELF AND GET SOME POINTS FOR END OF YEAR.
PLUS A GREAT SOCIAL EVENT AND NOT A FREESTYLE BIKE IN SITE JUST REAL RACE STUFF. :) :) :) :daumenhoch:

ZippyDixon

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 10:05 PM »
If I manage to get my Group1 finished  by then,I'll give it a go at Bournemouth,it'll be my first race since late 89,
   last?????WGAS
      I always raced cause I loved it,
hell, I might even make a late push for the Olympic team.......2012 of course :LolLolLolLol:

Stu

wolfybmx

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 10:23 PM »
if ya dont get it finished i have three group 1's you could use

ZippyDixon

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 10:31 PM »
if ya dont get it finished i have three group 1's you could use
   Sounds good to me.....I might just hold you to that one wolfy......I'll have the one with the blue bars ;D :daumenhoch:

Stu

team_teapot

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 08:47 PM »
right this is how it works in the south region

turn up register and race. we would love to see a gate of you lot but if there is only one or two we may stick youin with the other old farts in 30+ or 15+ novice. even if you race in a merged class your points get split out in to the old school class you registered in. its complicated but we will do that for you guys.

the old school class is in the series and event files waiting for you lot to register.

i guess the problem is that many of the old schoolers that are serious about racing turn up once or twice on their pride and joy then go out and buy a new bike. and no longer enter the old school class. or some turn up and enter the 15+ novice :2funny:

but it dont matter what goes on here its all talk. if you want to race you can. if you dont want to turn out and race or even just spectate then your missing out on the fun that we are all having.

i think it was screaching weasle that sang

"theres a real cool gang on the other side of town and your not part of it"

we are that gang.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Rich  :LolLolLolLol:

YOU ARE SCREECHING WEASLE !!  :wtf:

Hope to see you again soon mate .

Matt

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old school races.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx