gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bleaching colours under UV light ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bleaching colours under UV light ?  (Read 704 times)

firebird4130

bleaching colours under UV light ?
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Has anyone tried bleaching the colour out of tuffs, and seats etc using sunbeds or natural uv light, just an idea as it could make dying other colours possible if you can break down the old pigments under the UV

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: bleaching colours under UV light ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:09 PM »
 :) A mate of mine has some NOS blue tuffs that are now a stunning?? shade of grey,he`s had `em hanging up in front of his window for since `92! Rotten git won`t sell them to me either!

firebird4130

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22 PM »
cool, shame he won't part with them though, it just got me thinking after getting hold of some yellow ones that are 90% dyable {a colour other than yellow or black) through sun fading the colour out, looked up about it and it's uv rays that causes the colours to break down so thought maybe sunbeds might do the same

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:24 PM »
 You might get some strange looks walking into a tanning salon with a pair of Skyways under your arm but someone should seriously try it...

munners

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:27 PM »
I put a white kashi on a sunbed once and it did nothing. I did a thread on it on here about a year and a half ago. :)

firebird4130

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 09:30 PM »
what no tan?  :LolLolLolLol:

Juju

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:51 PM »
He's got the only kashimax saddle with bikini lines in england!

Seriosuly though, a sunbed does geenrate uv rays, but the intensity to require a tan, porbably means it generates heat too, which is probably not the best for structural integrity. If nylon expands at a different rate to aluminium, then you might generate all sorts of forces in the wheel and destroy it.  Nylon is pretty resistant to uv itself however.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bleaching colours under UV light ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx