gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Raqleigh Aero
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Raqleigh Aero  (Read 827 times)

Gary M

Raqleigh Aero
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Hi..

I have a raleigh aer0 pro burner in the process of being taken to bits and lovingly cleaned and cleaned and cleaned!!!!

This was my bike in 1983 and had been hidden away at parents house. This is my first restoration job!!!

I need to replace a few bits if anyone can help?

1) The brake bolts for by mx 1000's also missing one weinmann adjuster!!!

2) Also need help on advice about restoring Suntour beartrap pedals,this are badly scratched.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary M

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Raqleigh Aero
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:20 PM »
www.burnerworldforum.co.uk

:4_17_5:

Get ready to be skint....  :daumenhoch:  :coolsmiley:

Gary M

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:32 PM »
I have been warned!!!!

I have been looking at  the site for a while before getting the bike.

The cost seems worth it...looking at some of the resto jobs on here....Just have nt told the wife!!! ::)

Gary M

rhino_mac

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37 PM »
There's a thread here for restoring Suntour XC-II's if they are the beartraps you mean:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72550.0

There's also a recent thread in tech and restoration for anodising parts including prices. Most people seem to have painted but I'm sure the original finish is anodising. I think Del on here does decals for the ends of the cages.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:42 PM »
There's a thread here for restoring Suntour XC-II's if they are the beartraps you mean:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72550.0

There's also a recent thread in tech and restoration for anodising parts including prices. Most people seem to have painted but I'm sure the original finish is anodising. I think Del on here does decals for the ends of the cages.

That thread is not really representative of restoring some , more like polishing them within an inch of their lives and losing all the OG mould type lines of the bodies !  :LolLolLolLol: . ( no offence ) .

Can you tell I like restos where parts are returned to how they looked before ...........  ;D

I did some last year , look very nice too  ;)

rhino_mac

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:44 PM »
To be honest, I prefer them original too - I've got a nice set for my Laserlite with NOS cages. I gave them a very light polishing last night just to get the grime off them and they've come up superb. The bodies should still be a little matt looking to be as they came out of the shop - not shiny like Chrome.

dannywhiteley

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:45 PM »
In my opinion, the best way to restore MX1000 is to buy a full set of NOS Dia Compe 901 brakes (come with calipers, pads, cables, all fixings, levers and even 2 cable clips) for £40ish, and use the MX1000 arms with all the hardware from the 901 set.

You then have much nicer looking MX1000 with nos spindles, weinmanns, pads, cables etc.  You can even make up the 901's with whats left to get a few quid back.

NOS 901 sets have to be one of the remaining bargains of OS bmx.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:58 PM »
To be honest, I prefer them original too - I've got a nice set for my Laserlite with NOS cages. I gave them a very light polishing last night just to get the grime off them and they've come up superb. The bodies should still be a little matt looking to be as they came out of the shop - not shiny like Chrome.

;) .

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:57 PM »
....Just have'nt told the wife!!!

Ha ha  :LolLolLolLol:       Mate, if my missus climbed the ladder into our loft she'd think I'd opened a mongoose shop  :LolLolLolLol:

.....kit your loft out mate, and sneak your bits up there when she's gone to bed  >:D  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Raqleigh Aero

gfxgfx
gfx gfx