gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  12" BMX's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 12" BMX's  (Read 846 times)

muttley

12" BMX's
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:59 PM »
So me boy has got a 12" GT BMX and the fookin thing is well heavy!!! How do they expect kids to ride this stuff!!!! Any ideas on lightening the thing or alternatively a new frame????????

TA

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: 12" BMX's
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:05 PM »
 Sinz or similar mini seat/post combo,ally race cranks & bars?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:11 PM »
YEAH, MY LITTLUN HAS A 12" BMX.

Yep, heavy as fook, and crank arms are sooo short, not wonder he has trouble,

looking to get a 16" or 18" Pit bike for him when i've sold some of my OS Stuff........ ::) as i'm SKINT !!

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:32 PM »
My little lass has a 12" Curtis Trail Boss Jr and that weighs a ton also.  Probably weighs more than my lad's DK Dart Mini race bike  :idiot2:

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53 PM »
mines got a specialized hotrock 12", ally framed, ally parts, much lighter than GT's / mongooses

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hotrock-12-2009-kids-bike-12-inch-wheel--ec016044?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=awin&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=awin

i've taken the stabilizers, brakes and cranks off  :LolLolLolLol:

although he still prefers his rickety wooden bike!

part time

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Another vote for the Specialized, my nipper has graduated from this to the 16" version now, but it was a great bike for him:

Always seemed much lighter than any of the other 12" bikes I came across, but then it does have proper alloy rims, a decent stem and things like that.  I reckon you could shaved another good lot of heft from it by replacing the cranks but they do have to be really short when the BB is that close to the ground!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37 PM »
bailees 12 inch goose wieghed 34 lbs
his new 16 is 22 lbs

dialledbikes

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39 AM »
So me boy has got a 12" GT BMX and the fookin thing is well heavy!!! How do they expect kids to ride this stuff!!!! Any ideas on lightening the thing or alternatively a new frame????????

TA

Can your boy ride on two wheels already or is he still on stabilisers?

If still on stabilisers, an alternative to buying a new frame/bike would be to buy him one of those balance bikes/like-a-bikes as they're much better for kids to learn on than proper bikes with stabilisers.

Flying_fox

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:48 AM »
My Harry has a 12" GT as well, and it does indeed weigh a ton.

We took the stabillisers off and he could ride it no problems straight away (at 25 months) and I put that down to him being on a balance bike from 18 moths. He still can't pedal it properly, he's pedalling backwards at the moment, but he'll have grown into his Giant trike soon, so that should help him practice that part as it's a fixed wheel. At the moment Harry just riding down hills so the wight isn't a problem, but it is for me because when he gets it going I have to run like Forrest Gump to keep up!

muttley

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:13 AM »

TA

Can your boy ride on two wheels already or is he still on stabilisers?

If still on stabilisers, an alternative to buying a new frame/bike would be to buy him one of those balance bikes/like-a-bikes as they're much better for kids to learn on than proper bikes with stabilisers.

Nah mate he bypassed stabilisers, he was on a Specialized balance bike and then straight to the GT and pedalled right away but he still prefers his balance ride becuase of its weight (understandable) the GT can be a handful  :(

toys19

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:19 AM »
islabikes do proper kids bike designs, nephew has one, from a recommendation on here..

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc14.html

Flying_fox

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23 AM »
islabikes do proper kids bike designs, nephew has one, from a recommendation on here..

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc14.html

Has that bike got 14" wheels? Looks nice and simple and leight weight. They cost a bit more than the GT too.

It looks too big for my littleun', we had to turn the seat guts upside down on his GT just so he could turn the pedals all the way round. I'm interested by the break levers though, I don't think Harry will reach his levers on his GT for ages, they are massive for a two year old.

toys19

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Yep 14 inches, yep expensive, but look for one of these on ebay - they hold their value big time, whereas when ur kid has thrashed his "big name brand" it will be worthless....
Very light, bloody good bikes. Nephew has this one http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn24.html, ok its a mini mountain bike not a bmx, but it weighs naff all and he flies on it, he can easily do a four hour ride..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  12" BMX's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx