gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Quick Flight/BB question...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Quick Flight/BB question...  (Read 707 times)

bigsman

Quick Flight/BB question...
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Just got the original BB cups machined at a local engineers and once they've had a good clean up I'm gonna set about fitting my 401s....  I just noticed that theres a round cutout on the inside of each cup and I can't think why its there can anyone shed any light?  If its a doh question then feel free to take the p155!  And before anyone says anything I only asked the dude to clean up the outward surfaces of the cups that's why the backs are still mangled!  Thought I'd include the scary pig flu headline incase anyones missed the story about the imminent pandemic  :2funny:

Cheers

bigsman

Re: Quick Flight/BB question...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Gonna fit these mofos today...thought it would be wise to suss out the answer to this beforehand - anybody???

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:31 PM »

i'm sure there is a perfectly good reason for them but i too dont know

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I reckon that's damage from a previous installation removal  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

bigsman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Cheers dudes I think the winner of most plausible guess is the easy bearing removal idea....nice 1  :daumenhoch:

As for the botched removal theory - I wish!  The poor cups have taken a pounding over the years and those nice clean dimples are the least of my worries   ;)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49 PM »
I reckon that's damage from a previous installation removal  ;)

No I have some of these that have the same cutouts, but I don't know what they are for  :-\

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:45 PM »
the cut out is so you can get a hammer and punch to tap out the sealed bearings from the inside, if the no cut out you might struggle removing
them if they are a press fit as you'll only be able to tap on the very edge of the bearing. only a thought as i've never had one. :'(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Quick Flight/BB question...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx