gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Problems fitting Gyro 2 - Help...!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Problems fitting Gyro 2 - Help...!  (Read 1907 times)

g_lamb

Problems fitting Gyro 2 - Help...!
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Hi all

Went to fit a Gyro 2 tonight and ran into some problems with the headset that is fitted. I'm reading the instructions right but they don't seem to marry upt with the headset type I have

The middlepart of the Gyro drops straight onto the bottom Gyro plate and it just looks all wrong so I've canned it hoping someone can give me some advice  :-\

I'm not sure what the headset is so I don't know where to go from here. Any help appreciated

Thx

Lamby

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Problems fitting Gyro 2 - Help...!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Can you post a pic of what your trying to do  ???

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33 PM »
they will drop onto the bottom plate until all the cables are tightened up   ,it floats between the top n bottom .

g_lamb

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Can you post a pic of what your trying to do  ???

I know this is a sh*tty photo but this looks identical to the headset that's fitted

This is quite different to the headset I am now looking to buy which seems to fit with the Gyro 2 destructions

For starters my headset (top half) bearings are facing down towards the ground when screwed onto the forks, whereas the Gyro 2 destructions show a headset (like the YST above) with more components to the headset and the bearings pointing upwards

I think i've come to the conclusion that not every headset can work with a gyro and the headset is my problem.

I'll post some more pics of my actual headset and the Gyro 2 components tomorrow

I'd also be interested to know if a Snafu mobeus will work with the remaining components of the Gyro 2?

If not I'll just send off my Gyro 2 plates to Paul for annodising in Red. i need him to do some other bits any way where current Red annodising doesn't match (I'm a tart like that  ::)  :D )
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:00 PM by g_lamb »

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06 PM »
never had a prob fitting a gyro no matter what headset is fitted mate -did the gyro work when all the cables were fitted?

g_lamb

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12 PM »
never had a prob fitting a gyro no matter what headset is fitted mate -did the gyro work when all the cables were fitted?

Didn't get that far tbh. I canned it coz it looked like it wasn't gonna work. I obviously need to go a bit further and persevere until I can connect the cables to see if I still have a problem. Not had anything like this before so it's all new....  :-[ :-\

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Not sure if the mobeus will fit. It's designed for 1 1/8 headset's so tabs might not line up.

g_lamb

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Still can't fit this flippin' Gyro thingy.....  :tickedoff:

Looks like me forks are too short. Either that or I'm being a complete donut!

Any in MK have experience of these so that I can maybe pop 'round soem time for some pointers?  :-\

Also struggling with a freewheel sprocket. Bought a Dicta to go onto a Tuff II but when I was fitting it it seemed as though it would undo when p[edalling - are there LH and RH threads with freewheel sprockets?  :-\

Any answers/help would be great

Thx

Lamby

subversion

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56 PM »
It should look something like this once built up:

If you don't have tabs on your frame then the lower cable anchor fits under the top headset cup...

Dicta freewheels should have the 4 cut outs (for the removal tool) facing outwards, I don't know that they do a LH version?

Post up some pics & maybe we can help you further.... :daumenhoch:

g_lamb

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Dicta freewheels should have the 4 cut outs (for the removal tool) facing outwards, I don't know that they do a LH version?

Post up some pics & maybe we can help you further.... :daumenhoch:

Cheers m8

Now that i know which way 'round the sprocket goes it's now fitted  :D

I have also come to the conclusion that this flippin' Gryo just ain't gonna fit but heres a couple of pics of all the bits I've got...

I believe the order i need to fit things is:- 8, 5, 4, 3, 2, 7, 6, 1

When i fit them in this order (which seems to be the best fit) there is no thread available at the top of the forks to fit item 1. I have had comments before that the Torker Freestylist has a 5" headset tube but I've never really understood what this means   ???

I'm guessing it means that this is longer than ur average headset tube therefore "spare" fork thread is not avaiable at the top to incorporate a Gyro  :'(

I am though, as always, open to suggestion (not rude ones......  :knuppel2:) and will bow to superior knowledge

p.s. I've worked out how to fit items 9, 10 & 11  ::)

Thanks as always

Lamby
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:15 PM by g_lamb »

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Do all the headset parts fit the forks without any of the gyro parts?  Adding the gyro bits should only take a small percentage of the threads.  Did you fit parts 5 and 9 FULLY in to the frame headtube when you tried before?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:33 PM by wildon »

g_lamb

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Do all the headset parts fit the forks without any of the gyro parts?  Adding the gyro bits should only take a small percentage of the threads.  Did you fit parts 5 and 9 FULLY in to the frame headtube when you tried before?

Yes m8. All headset parts fit ok without any Gyro parts and cups were correctly fitted  :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 06:41 PM »
Ok well when it's fitted without the gyro how much thread is left before fitting part 1?  The 2 fixed gyro parts should take only 3-4mm combined of the length of the thread so if you have more than that left before fitting gyro and part 1 then you must be fitting it wrong  ???

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 06:43 PM »
You know you have part 8 in your pic upside down right?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Are you using the longer torker forks with your longer headtube & whereabouts in MK are you?
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

g_lamb

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:35 PM »
I'll post some more pics or what I'm doing step by step. I'll measure the forks and headset tube as well - I'm certain it's not me....  :shocked:

g_lamb

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Are you using the longer torker forks with your longer headtube & whereabouts in MK are you?

Don't know anything about the forks I've got TBH. I'm in EV

Ill take some measurements of the bit that goes into the headset tube...

g_lamb

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Apols for the sh*te photo's. My DC's crap at close ups. Or I just don't know how to use it propoerly  ::)

Step by step of what I'm doing....

1 Forks (head tube) are 16cm long. Head tube is 12.2cm long

2 gyro lower cable stop

3 headset cup/bearings

4 headset adjusting cone

5 headset adjusting cone washer

6 gyro bearing unit

7 gyro upper cable stop

8 Top of forks (yellow paint). no room for headset locknut

When it's just the headset fitted the headset locknut screws on about half way

I think I'm rogered....

Anyone know of any forks that would be longer than 16cm for the head tube?  ???

I believe the 5" head tube will narrow the field down a bit  :(

I really want a "gyro" fitted so it's either new forks or an alternative "gyro" but don't know if I'll run into the same problems with other "gyro's" such as the ACS, Oryg or SinMaster  ???

Thanks for any help

Lamby

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Well yeah looks like your forks are too short .. and if you can't get a gyro on then i'm afraid you'll be buggered for any type of gyro  :-\

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 07:45 PM »
You need to get the correct forks, even without the gyro I bet you've got a job to get the top lock nut on, I'm in MK but away until middle of next week but feel free to pm me if you need me to come have a look  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Actually you could use an ACS rotor, they don't take any of the the thread from the forks, they use the stem shaft instead

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 12:23 PM »
ive just swapped my gyro2 for  an ACS rotor , now ive got it set up its alot better than the gyro , spins loads smoother and with it combine with the ACS boa caliper the stopping power is fantastic, the only thing with the rotor is that the stem has to sit about 2" out the head set for it to operate, if you can live with bars been slightly higher , i'd bin the gyro and get one (£15 ish)
its got to be cheaper then replacing the forks and will work better. (thats if the head set will go on and tighten correctly with out the gyro.)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Problems fitting Gyro 2 - Help...!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx