gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch stem - 2 questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch stem - 2 questions  (Read 940 times)

Thejackal

Hutch stem - 2 questions
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Have made another e-bay purchase that hasn't quite lived up to expectations. I suppose eveyone on here has had that at some point?

Anyhow - I have bought a Hutch stem, that a) needs a replacement bolt and wedge - have seen them on Ginny's Old School BMX - anyone used them? Are they good?

and b) It needs re-chroming. Anyone know a good re-chrome in West Yorkshire. Can send it on via the post if soemone further afield is recommended. Vert-ego offer this service? Any good? Any idea of cost?

If it's any consolation - it wasn't very expensive. As Hutch stems go!!

Once again, thanks for your help :4_17_5:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch stem - 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05 AM »
i think it's better long term to show polish rather than re chrome :daumenhoch:

mark 2

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28 AM »
As above, the chrome can look pretty sexy but they're prone to start chipping and peeling in places - when you tighten up the stem bolt it'll break the chrome and underneath around the edges of the allen bolt holes

baldbmxer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31 AM »
Be careful with the stem bolt you use cos teh original Hutch one had a big head! Small ones look pants on the Hutch stems.

As for chroming a Hutch stem be very careful. Alot of Hutch stems are polished and loose their corners, they become to rounded and loosie their shape IMHO. Originally they werent polished before chroming. One of the resons the chrome comes off so easily but chrome and alloy arent a good combinaion anyway

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:42 AM »
TNT, DK, GT (dimple) stems, all have the correct wedge angle to fit hutch stems  :daumenhoch:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I had this done, the chromer warned me that it wouldn't be that good as it was on alloy. It looked good but I still managed to chip the chrome on the top putting the bolts in it (he did it again for me foc, which was nice).

It depends whether you want it original looking or not but a nice polished one looks just as good and it's not gonna chip.       :-\ 

Andy.

Thejackal

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. The chrome has started to chip/ peel off.

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but here goes; How do I show polish it?? Polite answers only please.

If someone would tell me how to post a picture, then I would show you all.

thecrooch

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Dremel - or elbow grease  something like peek or autosol should bring it up lovely....

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:32 PM »
If someone would tell me how to post a picture, then I would show you all.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=32.0

mark 2

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Spending £50 on a bench grinder and a polishing mop kit at Screwfix (or ebay) is a good investment.  You'd have to have your stem de-chromed first, getting a chromer to reverse the process would be kinder to it than shot blasting.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch stem - 2 questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx