gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975664 Posts in 138930 Topics by 6352 Members - Latest Member: Hok July 16, 2024, 12:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Too much of a compromise?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Too much of a compromise?  (Read 977 times)

g_lamb

Too much of a compromise?
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:18 PM »
G'day all

I'm after some Red Tuff II's but I'm finding it hard to get hold of them (without paying over the odds from the US!)

I'm going for a Red/White/Chrome theme therefore a suitable alternative wheel colour is White. I don't want to buy White Tuff II's but am wondering if something like these are too much of a compriomise, just to get the bike built until I can get my hands on some Red Tuff II's?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-PLASTIC-MAG-TYPE-REAR-WHEEL-GEAR-SIDED-FULLY-SHOD_W0QQitemZ150339402655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item150339402655&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-PLASTIC-MAG-TYPE-FRONT-WHEEL-FULLY-SHOD-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ150339402851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item150339402851&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

What do you guys think?

Lamby

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Re: Too much of a compromise?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:25 PM »
if you really want tuff 2s i would wait until you can find some at the right price, you will probably end up swapping the "compromise " wheels for them at a later date anyway.

g_lamb

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:33 PM »
if you really want tuff 2s i would wait until you can find some at the right price, you will probably end up swapping the "compromise " wheels for them at a later date anyway.

That would be the idea. Just want to get the bike rideable and invest in the Red TUFF II's when they come along. These would be cheap and cheerful to achieve this although I don't know if they will still be tough enough. Not that I'm going to be doing anything outrageous like I used to 25 years ago...!  :D

I think I've asnwered my own question although was looking for opinions on the wheels rather than the compromise aspect which was suggested in the Subject Title  :-\

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Yes I agree with Andy + you won't be able to sell those wheels on very easily when you do find some Tuffs

There are always bargain Tuffs to be found, you may have to do a little work on them, but its worth it  :daumenhoch:

Here is a pair of Blue Tuffs I got & made look nice.........

g_lamb

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:28 PM »
Wow! 8) How did you do these? I've seen the TUFF bleach guide but assume that is for White wheels

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:36 PM »
why not put a wanted add for red tuffs in the wanted section mate dont think the wheels uve looked at on ebay are worth that and hey for a few extra pounds u can get some tuffs just might have to wait awhile  :daumenhoch: the above blue tuffs have been dyed  ;)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Wow! 8) How did you do these? I've seen the TUFF bleach guide but assume that is for White wheels

Its just a matter of cleaning them, lots of hot water & scrubbing, then stick them in a pot & dye them, I found it best to leave them on the stove for about 1/2 hour each & get the proper Dylon industrial dye, for Blue you want Madonna Blue, not sure about Red, but someone will know  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=17050.0

So don't be scared of getting some old dirty faded Tuffs  ;)

g_lamb

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:34 AM »
It's the speed of which I want/need some wheels that's the issue so certainly not bothered too much much about faded colours.

Looks like Tulip Red will be the one.. http://www.dylon.co.uk/colours.html

etriedes

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Speak to " ANIMAL " he has some Tuffs in red ( ally hubs ) that he's selling  :daumenhoch:

Cheers
Simon

g_lamb

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Speak to " ANIMAL " he has some Tuffs in red ( ally hubs ) that he's selling  :daumenhoch:

Cheers
Simon

Cheers m8

I'll do just that

Thx

Lamby

trasher

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51 PM »
dude heres my before and after

without dye ,,,just took a lot of scrapping to get the top coat of broken down plastic off ,,,,and a hell of a lot of wet and drying

then soaked in wd40 ,,,,,then polished with a colored t-cut

it can be done ,,,,,but i wouldnt do another set .fooking mind numbing  :uglystupid2:

oh and bang them in the dishwasher ,when the misses is out ,,,does a world of good  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:54 PM by trasher »

g_lamb

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:24 PM »

without dye ,,,just took a lot of scrapping to get the top coat of broken down plastic off ,,,,and a hell of a lot of wet and drying

it can be done ,,,,,but i wouldnt do another set .fooking mind numbing  :uglystupid2:

oh and bang them in the dishwasher ,when the misses is out ,,,does a world of good  :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks m8

Red TUFF's turned up today. There's another thread which talks about using Cif cleaner and WD40. Think I'll give this a whirl first as it seems much less labour intensive...!  ;D

Your way will be my backup plan

Like the dishwasher suggestion, if only I had one....  :(

Rgds

Lamby

trasher

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:39 PM »

Thanks m8

Red TUFF's turned up today. There's another thread which talks about using Cif cleaner and WD40. Think I'll give this a whirl first as it seems much less labour intensive...!  ;D

Your way will be my backup plan

Like the dishwasher suggestion, if only I had one....  :(

Rgds

Lamby

another thing i did was blast the hell out of them with a pressure washer ,on mine the faded parts was like the top layer of composite had broken down in the sunlight ,,,you could scrape it with your finger nails ,,,,be prepared to get soaked ,,,the pressure removed the faded bits no probs  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Too much of a compromise?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx