gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HELP...I WANT TO BUILD AN OLD SCHOOL RACE BIKE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HELP...I WANT TO BUILD AN OLD SCHOOL RACE BIKE  (Read 2311 times)

daz22

HELP...I WANT TO BUILD AN OLD SCHOOL RACE BIKE
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:27 PM »
HELP...... just bought an early 80's POWERLITE F & F and forks off ebay (well i bloody hope its early 80's) need to build it up for rd3 at preston on may 10th, i need help choosing some bits for it please...
1....... want some spoke wheels, but what kind? ukai rims on what hubs? or araya i think there called?
2....... cranks, maybe sugino? what else is there? it has a euro bottom bracket.
3....... h/bars, brakes, headstem?
my memory for the 80's bmx stuff is real bad, wish i kept my PK Ripper.
any help on any of this or where the best place to get it would be greatly appreciated, prefer new or nearly new stuff.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:44 PM by daz22 »

chewy

Re: HELP...I WANT TO BUILD AN OLD SCHOOL RACE BIKE
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:32 PM »

At the rate this help is coming in mate
you will be lucky to have it built in time for the winter series  :LolLolLolLol:

and i wish i could help ya but my memory is sh@te also
and i'm struggling with a build myself

all i do is go in the FOR SALE section and ask questions before i buy anything
they allways give you right advice

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35 PM »
If it's the black Powerlite that was on ebay I'm certain it's a USA BB not Euro - so nab yourself a 1 piece crank & USA BB. For Old School racing you need to fit a caliper brake (like a Dia Compe 901) and threaded headset - which the bike would need if it is an 80's F&F. As for wheels don't buy a rare OS set just to ride on - rather get a 10mm axle wheelset that's had a some use - you don't want to go and wreck some expensive and rare 20 plus year old wheels!

You'll find heaps of inspiration in the Museum section and I'm sure you'll get the bug bad... download some old mags and get some ideas of how Powerlite equipped their bikes back then.

Welcome to the Rad community!

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:36 PM »
are you sure about the bb if it is euro it aint an 80's bike. sure its not US bb. any pics of frame.

rhino_mac

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43 PM »
I'm new to this as well so I've learned a thing along the way. See my thread in tech and restoration - it's the Kuwahara Laserlite KZ83

The main thing I've found is to understand what you want to use the bike for and buy appropriate parts. I wanted a summer rider to race old school on, and ended up with a show bike I'm scared to ride that is £1000 over budget and will never end up riding on the road. Basically, this means that I need to buy another bike to race on..........................nightmare, but I've got the bike I wanted when I was 10 and I'm happy with it.

The advise above is good - buy parts that allow you to race and don't spend too much money. If you want to build era correct using OEM parts, be prepared to get your cheque book out, especially if you want NOS and rechromes.

Take the frame along to your local BMX shop -they'll let you know which BB you need. All of the best parts I've bought have come from this site. Keep an eye on the for sale thread but get your site supporter tag otherwise you won't be able to post or dib in the thread. Don't wait too long if it's for sale and you want it as things don't last too long on here.

Other than that - good luck and prepare to lose a lot of time searching Ebay and other BMX forums....................

daz bmx it!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44 PM »
I'm sure the ad said euro BB? which lead me to believe that it was possibly a mini-powerlite f+f's?

Offline R Al

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Got any pics of the F&F ?

moley

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Daz22!!  copy the link to your ebay auction and post it here!!

Then we can see what your working with!!

You've only got 2 weeks to sort your ride out!!    Which aint long.   You'll be lucky to get all your parts off ebay or wherever by then!!

So long as you dont mind what it looks then they'll be enough used parts knocking around to build you bike!!

Even if we have to knock it together on Sunday morning.

So lets get cracking!!

It might not look pretty but it will be rideable.   Then you can return parts as when you've replaced them with more desirable parts.

Where do you live?

Are you a Preston Native?

Frame and Forks
Handlebars, grips, stem, headset
brake, brake lever, brake cable, brake pads
Seat, seatpost, seatclamp
Crank (3pc or 1pc), Sprocket or Spider/chainring,chain,Pedals
Wheels, Freewheel, Tires, Innertubes

And probably something else (there's always something I forget)

Numberplate isn't important.   You can loan one for the day when you sign on at Preston.

You will also need a BCF Silver membership to race at Preston.  it costs £36!!  :(

Everyone who races at the regionals needs a silver membership.  Its the law!!!!  :(

If your going to race then get your license now!!

We'll sort your bike before Preston, so dont worry about it!!

Post your ebay link to your powerlite and let us know what else you've bought!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:15 AM »
if he's bought the black one then that aint OS at all, those look like 1 1/8 threadless forks to me?

if he's got the second one then that is OS legal and has a US bb  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Wheels. I'd wouldnt go for some expensive Araya's or Ukai's if you thrashing it for racing. Search ebay for some 10mm axle wheel's

Crank. go for a 170mm or 175mm 1 peice because if you get 180's you'll be banging your knees on the bars.

daz22

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 12:40 PM »
THANKS, ive got a gt to use at preston so should be ok ;D have a race licence too  :daumenhoch:  its the black powerlite and yeah it does look like an US bb, thats what you get for rushing in  :idiot2:.... how do i check the age by using the frame number? i was told its possibly an 86.... i wont be pleased if it aint i tell ya  :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:58 PM by daz22 »

daz22

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Hi me again.... what can i do to authenticate the year of this F & F?  going down manchester track to get some much needed practice in, i want a trophy at preston (or more likely a visit to casualty) and no not the set of the TV show, unfortunately. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 07:42 PM »
try bmxmuseum.com and look at the Powerlite section

snav69

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 05:56 PM »
are you sure about the bb if it is euro it aint an 80's bike.

???
I have a 1981 Diamond Back Mini Pro with a Euro BB  ;)

Paul  :coolsmiley:

PS - It was nice meeting you at Coppull today Daz  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Get yourself to Preston on Tuesday night!!  :daumenhoch:

daz22

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Nice meeting you too Paul, stick some pics of all those cool old schoolers you have on here mate...
sorry moley cant do much weekdays coz of my f**kin stupid job, but dont worry looking forward to binning it at a track near you real soon  :LolLolLolLol: 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:28 PM by daz22 »

snav69

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Here's the links to some of them mate  :daumenhoch:

I won bike of the month with this one  8)
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=73430.0

Pictures of my shed :D
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=80888.0

Ripper
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=35261.0

Skyway TA
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85495.0

Redline 600cxl
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85652.0

And the Mongoose i was on today  :daumenhoch:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85771.0

no proper pictures of the haro group 1's or the mongoose replica  :-[

Paul  :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:23 PM by snav69 »

daz22

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39 PM »
All real nice rides Paul, especially like the white R/L 600.......... real tidy that mate

daz22

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:39 PM »
if he's bought the black one then that aint OS at all, those look like 1 1/8 threadless forks to me?

if he's got the second one then that is OS legal and has a US bb  :daumenhoch:

unfortunately i bought the black one, it is a euro BB, AND ITS PROBABLY a 1" headstock even though its intergrated, the reason being coz its a bloody kid size frame, junior or expert size.... that wasnt mentioned in the ad.....?  :tickedoff:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HELP...I WANT TO BUILD AN OLD SCHOOL RACE BIKE

gfxgfx
gfx gfx