gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 06:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Welcome to the jumble!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Welcome to the jumble!!  (Read 2411 times)

bigsman

Welcome to the jumble!!
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Right

as mentined in my other thread http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85247.0 I have a couple of rear tuff 2's I want to rebuild.  And as promised here's all the bits I can find that might help me do the job.  I have a feeling I have extras/bits that aren't compatible though.  Ideally I want 2 working rear wheels at the end without having to buy anything (I also have freewheels) but I have a feeling that I am short of the right parts.  Anyway if anyone can help me out in identifying what goes with what I'll be chuffed.  Just fyi the graphite hub has got nowt at all in it whereas the standard alloy has what look like partial cups in places but no 'top' cup to hold loose bearings in place...to me anyway!

So...can anyone help me out?

Cheers

buzzlightyear05

Re: Welcome to the jumble!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28 PM »
You need some ball bearings for the standard rear tuff. Is the graphite a re-make or original. Tuffs didnt run sealed bearings until 2005.

bigsman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:58 PM »
You need some ball bearings for the standard rear tuff. Is the graphite a re-make or original. Tuffs didnt run sealed bearings until 2005.

Ok but what would hold the bearings in on the standard one?

The rear hub is bolted in so its probably a remake.  The wheel itself is an 83 graphite but I don't know when the hub was put on there..

cheers

jackel

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58 PM »
mate you need 2 axle replacement kits and a set of bearing cups to make them perfect :)
axle replacement kits are about 12 quid a wheel and good luck finding the cups although i,ve heard others say they fit off other wheels :)

bigsman

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30 PM »
mate you need 2 axle replacement kits and a set of bearing cups to make them perfect :)
axle replacement kits are about 12 quid a wheel and good luck finding the cups although i,ve heard others say they fit off other wheels :)

I hear ya man but I'm sure one of the parts shown above is a just out the packet replacement peregrine replacement axle?  Also shown are some assorted sealed bearings which I'd have thought I could use?  I've followed links on a few threads I've searched out and I'm not 100% sure they come with anything I don't already have - what is it thats missing from what I show above?   Maan this is doing my nut in I just want to get going but knowing me I'll only screw it up and end up having to buy more than I needed to lol.

cheers for the help so far...

trasher

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 06:28 PM »
your going to need a pair of inner bearing races ,,,,i managed to get some off a very kind user on here

saw some on ebay a couple of weeks ago

ill try and find the picture of them  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:32 PM »
i have a rear axle kit was new but missing wheel nuts that comes with the cups bearings and grease in em lol

trasher

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 06:34 PM »
here you go ,,,these dont come in the axle replacement kits  :'(

just found these on ebay aswell the top hats to retain your bearings ,,,,get em quick  :daumenhoch:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-BMX-OLD-SCHOOL-SKYWAY-TUFF-II-WHEELS-TOP-HATS_W0QQitemZ280330912468QQihZ018QQcategoryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:38 PM by trasher »

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:38 PM »

mine did

trasher

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 06:40 PM »

mine did

really  :(   mine didnt   ,,,,,

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41 PM »
just noticed they sealed bearings
looks like every thing is there for rears

bigsman

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Confusion reigns  :2funny:

Lazy...the $6m question then how do they go together?  I've spent the day trial fitting bits into wheels and I can't see how its gonna happen  :idiot2:  What bits go with what in in which wheel? lol I am fick!

By the way cheers to the earlier poster for the top hats...I was just about to hit the buy button but then the posts after that made me think am I as well buying full replacement kits...

I have a whole build to do and I'm stuck on the wheels...not good!

Ta folks

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:24 PM »
its hard to tell with the picts
but graphite one needs one or two bearings per side
fit one side first then axle then put other bearings on after then there should be a washer and lock nuts

bigsman

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:04 PM »
its hard to tell with the picts
but graphite one needs one or two bearings per side
fit one side first then axle then put other bearings on after then there should be a washer and lock nuts

No really with you there man...the graph defo needs bearings both sides.  The options I have on me are 3 diff sizes of sealed bearings as shown in my pic above.  The graph doesn't have the retaining cup for loose bearings like the alloy tuff has so I'm gonna have to go all new on it.  What do you mean when you say say one or two bearings per side?  From placing them up I can see that I have sealed bearings that look like they'll go in each side of the graph (with persuasion!) but they are a diff size on each side is that right?  The next part is getting the 'right' axle in there - the ones I have don't have big enough collars to fill the gap in the hub and it looks to me like there'll be play if I use them.  Clear as mud sorry about that appreciate the help guys :)

Can anyone say if the axles pictured above are compatible or not?  If you need more pics no bother I just don't want to f this up - ta

By the way cheers again for the egay heads-up...bought those top hats...figure that'll get the standard tuff up n running after I canabalise my old burner wheel for its bearings etc  8)

Cheers

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09 PM »
on my new skool graph's the front had 2 bearing's per side both the same diametre
axle had built in collar's i never checked the rear tho so not sure on bearing size's

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29 PM »

mine did

I have bought a few axle kits , and didn't either

that bloody Biagio  :knuppel2:

:LolLolLolLol:

really  :(   mine didnt   ,,,,,

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Tuffs didnt run sealed bearings until 2005.

Skyway made 3 generations of Graphite Tuff in the 80's , 3rd Gen were sealed bearing  ;) .

I'll post a pic of mine ( 3rd Gen ) tomorrow .

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:37 PM »
 :-[

:LolLolLolLol:

It's taken a week , forgot I'd taken the pics tbh ! .

Gen 3 80's graphs with sealed bearings ........................

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Welcome to the jumble!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx