gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 06:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DB silver streak
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DB silver streak  (Read 752 times)

aditup 2234

DB silver streak
« on: April 15, 2009, 04:43 PM »
So why was it the Silver streak II?
Was there a (one) I?
Tell me, I am curious, not Bi.
Ad  :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: DB silver streak
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:05 PM »
So why was it the Silver streak II?
Was there a (one) I?
Tell me, I am curious, not Bi.
Ad  :daumenhoch:
x2  :-\
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

neiljonarcus

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:16 PM »
addy  i  am  trisexual  mate  its  ok    :LolLolLolLol:

Juju

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12 PM »
The common theory is that at the time the Silver Streakwas launched, the DB range was really only a 3 model range of full cromo f&f, supplied either built up or as kits/f&f sets.

So there was basically, 1 frame in 3 sizes.   All the bikes were just  badged "Diamond Back".

The Silver Streak is the first frame added to the range, as an attempt to bring prices down, to be sold alongside its full cromo brothers.   It looks like a medium Diamond Back, but it isn't, as it's got a hi ten rear looptail witha cromo front triangle and thicker rear drop outs. So being the second basic frame design (rather than size) its logically the second in the range.

Or something.

Sparkys the DB expert over at os-db.net so ask him....

And btw, I had a SS bidt, chose it over a Torker 280, and didn't realise it wasn't full cromo until I started looking for a bmx to satisfy my childish cravings a few months ago.  Both bikes very similar, but I presume the Torker would have been full cromo, and possibly then a slightly better bike for the money.

But with its black chrome colur scheme, neat welding, distinctive gusset, arayas, proper D/C brakes sugino stem and 1pc ect, the SS was a lovely bike to look at...

dan-dare

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I thought the Silver Streak was full cromo, and the Viper had the steel back end?? ???

tigerbrown

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:36 PM »
addy  i  am  trisexual  mate  its  ok    :LolLolLolLol:

Aye me too... Tri owt me like...

scary_leary

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:33 PM »
I thought the Silver Streak was full cromo, and the Viper had the steel back end?? ???

No streak just main tubes, Viper is all high tensile  :)

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:55 PM »
blimey,you learn sommit everyday!!!!very informative thread solving a 26 year old mystery!!! : :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Makes you wonder why the Viper wasn't called the Diamond Back III  :LolLolLolLol:

The Silver Streak was initially designed during 1981, unveiled at the NBA that year and known within DB as the ‘DIAMOND BACK II’ since it was meant to be the ‘all new’ Black/Chrome design.

The name of the bike was only decided a short time before the event but wasn’t officially released until 1982, rumours are they used a proto-type frame for the photo-shoot.  ;)
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DB silver streak

gfxgfx
gfx gfx