gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  unknown bikes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: unknown bikes  (Read 16487 times)

username

Re: unknown bikes
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48 AM »
If some people need to look at this on personal terms and defend dibly then that's fine, give him 10/10 for "trying" and a little gold star. But as far as I am concerned it is the frames that are always the root of these discussions, specifically the broken ones. The kids who bought these frames paid their money and did not get what they were being told they had paid for.  All the people blindly defending dibly and celebrating him "trying" really need to separate the failure of the frames from the person and accept that there is some justification for other people to hold a different and more negative opinion.

If peoples feelings are hurt because they feel nasty, unjustified things are being said, the frames cracked at an unacceptably high rate and more and more batches were ordered when that was already a blatant problem. I believe the factory is incapable of building frames to the quality they promise and highly culpable but wether it was the factory's claim that the heat treatment would "make" a 3.5lb frame ok or dibly's the repeat orders still got made and somebody has to shoulder some responsibility. All those frames did not order themselves.

I really have not seen any serious attack on dibly himself even in the most heated discussions, just the frames. I am sure dibly's pm box didn't swell up with hate messages like mine did from his fanboys for questioning and attempting to discuss his claims.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2009, 01:36 AM »
me and about 3-4 guys could make them frames(or any frames) in the uk and retail them at that price, piece of piss. I wouldn't ride a bike that light though, i could snap a grifter. In house bmx, uk made. anybody want to throw some brass in and get a company going? (engineers only need apply and one loaded muthafooker)
ding dong

SaMAlex

« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54 AM »
FFS Alex, you're like a self-righteous dog with a bone.
Whine, whine, feckin whine.

Just saying it like I see it.
Sorry if that offends

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2009, 09:14 AM »
me and about 3-4 guys could make them frames(or any frames) in the uk and retail them at that price, piece of piss. I wouldn't ride a bike that light though, i could snap a grifter. In house bmx, uk made. anybody want to throw some brass in and get a company going? (engineers only need apply and one loaded muthafooker)

If someone wanted to start to produce Frames or whatever, it only takes the idea & getting off your ass & finding a way of doing it, how do you think S&E, Haro, Hoffman etc started, they did not have backing of someone who is loaded, they started small & built.

Has anyone here heard of PING Golf Clubs  ???  The guy who started the company Karsten Solheim (RIP), started making Putters in his garage in his spare time forty or so years ago, PING are now one of the biggest Golf Club Manufactures in the world & I think one of the best.

All I know if you really want to do something you will find a way  :daumenhoch:

mattnice

« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23 AM »
im in lets make a 1lb frame

munners

« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Totally agree Chris. If you really wanna do it then you can. Just gotta put the time and effort into it and have the bollox and lastly.......TIME!

Has anyone ever designed a frame made from plastic ie ABS? I know carbon fibre has been used? Just wondered? ???

SaMAlex

« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I know a few people who started making BMX frames in their shed (in the UK). They both made very nice frames, but its hard to make it cost effective.

One of them has almost finished the Motorbike his is making now, he made the frame from scratch. Its so nice.
(there are some posts about it on this blog  http://dirtbikeaction.blogspot.com/ )

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37 AM »

that deffo looks like it had been cracked then forced downwards post crackage, but who am i to speculate

he's been lucky the top tube creased, rather than shearing, possibly saving a nasty injury.

obviously its all happened in the one impact, why would you bother bending it afterwards?

how is it obvious? the temptation to try n pull it apart after the initial crack/snap would deffo be there, its fooked anyway, these are kids bikes n thats what kids do

ive looked but i aint got time to find it (got a life me like :daumenhoch:), someone posted a mid school clip on youtube of a couple of dudes trying to rip the front end off a snapped bike, poss a gt, in a car park
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:53 AM by OrgasmDonor »

Lee Shurey

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Thats what i love about this country we do tend to kick people when there down  :-[
I for one am sorry it didn't work out for Dibbly   "God loves a tryer."

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05 AM »
i dont think darrens done yet just a blip.

dialledbikes

« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59 PM »
The fact that is no material in the frame where it is needed and that there never was any special heat treatment process to compensate for the consequences of removing so much metal from a frame.

I must admit that when those 3.5lb park frames came out I was sceptical about the weight and the "special heat treatment", simply because (a) it would be hard to design a reliable cro-moly pro size BMX race frame at that weight; and (b) if the heat treating process was that unique/special, then surely a more established company than UK Bike Co/Avocet would have got the rights to it first (I thought it was odd that a new company would be able to get exclusivity as claimed, ahead of the big boys out there).

However, I bit my tongue and didn't say anything as it's too easy to be cynical without giving something a chance to prove itself.  Unfortunately, these frames didn't prove themselves and the cynics doubts have been justified.

I think Usernames comment above hits the nail on the head really, that no special heat treating process can compensate for the right amount of quality tubing being used in the right places, and proper/thorough testing.  If UK/Avocet had tested those bikes for a decent period of time, rather than rushing straight to market, all of this bad press (and broken frames) could have been avoided.  Better to err on the side of caution when reputation (and people's health/lives) are on the line.

But fair play to Dibly for giving it a go.  Hopefully he will have learned plenty from this experience to make his next bike company a success.  And hopefully people will start seeing through the fashion and hype and buy stuff on merit rather jumping on the "this is the next big thing" bandwagon.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2009, 05:31 PM »

that deffo looks like it had been cracked then forced downwards post crackage, but who am i to speculate

he's been lucky the top tube creased, rather than shearing, possibly saving a nasty injury.

obviously its all happened in the one impact, why would you bother bending it afterwards?

how is it obvious? the temptation to try n pull it apart after the initial crack/snap would deffo be there, its fooked anyway, these are kids bikes n thats what kids do

ive looked but i aint got time to find it (got a life me like :daumenhoch:), someone posted a mid school clip on youtube of a couple of dudes trying to rip the front end off a snapped bike, poss a gt, in a car park

have not found the vid yet but it has been posted on here, but have heard that bike in said vid was a performer and i have been informed that it was YOU!  :LolLolLolLol: bending it like a bast@rd after it was cracked  ::) why oh foooooookin why would you bother? eh? why?  :LolLolLolLol: fookin  :LolLolLolLol: fookin  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

could some one pleeeease dig up said clip, and if i have been misinformed i will apologise, but would be funny as fook if i'm not  :D

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2009, 05:35 PM »
There ya go...

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45 PM »
poor bike  :'( oh thats dreadful  :'( how could.....why would.......anybody do that? Fookin  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
how many of you did it take to fold diblys frame then?

darkersomeday

« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2009, 06:32 PM »
"21 tt revolution frame on e-bay now :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2009, 06:39 PM »
that was actually an ex-fiola performer, how does that make you feel?
it was over ten years old at the time and wasn't under warranty. if i snapped my under warranty frame i wouldnt be trying to bend it further, as im sure a company wouldnt warranty a bike that had appeared to be deliberately damaged.

do you have evidence of kids bending the toptube on the uk bike?

as soon as it was announced that the frame was 1 pound lighter than similar rivals i was curious, but when asked why it was lighter and the answer was 'a secret process', i called bullshit.

christ, every step of the way this uk bike co have been proved to be badly designed, badly built, badly marketed, ugly, and weak. the guy in charge has been proven to be a liar and the team riders rode other bikes, how much evidence do you need to admit uk bike co was a waste of time?

it keeps reverting to this 'slag them because theyre new', which simply is not the case. lots of new companies have thrived out of the uk in the last ten years, purely by having a no-nonsense attitude when it comes to design, marketing, and PROMISES.

dan-dare

« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2009, 06:41 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

darkersomeday

« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2009, 07:14 PM »
"21 tt revolution frame on e-bay now :daumenhoch:

Fook   :shocked:  thats cheep, where did you get it  ???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bmx-frame-uk-bike-co-unknown-revolution-21-frame-s-m_W0QQitemZ130301613994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item130301613994&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

direct from unknown, i was planning to build it as light as i could but my oz&nz travels have drained my finances so its got to go :'(

fre p&p for rad members :smitten:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2009, 08:16 PM »
1, that was actually an ex-fiola performer, how does that make you feel?
it was over ten years old at the time and wasn't under warranty. if i snapped my under warranty frame i wouldnt be trying to bend it further, as im sure a company wouldnt warranty a bike that had appeared to be deliberately damaged.

do you have evidence of kids bending the toptube on the uk bike?

as soon as it was announced that the frame was 1 pound lighter than similar rivals i was curious, but when asked why it was lighter and the answer was 'a secret process', i called bullshit.

2, christ, every step of the way this uk bike co have been proved to be badly designed, badly built, badly marketed, ugly, and weak. the guy in charge has been proven to be a liar and the team riders rode other bikes, how much evidence do you need to admit uk bike co was a waste of time?

3, it keeps reverting to this 'slag them because theyre new', which simply is not the case. lots of new companies have thrived out of the uk in the last ten years, purely by having a no-nonsense attitude when it comes to design, marketing, and PROMISES.

1, Fantastic  :daumenhoch: you don't know me, so don't assume.
2, i know fook all about bike building so have not once argued against honest critism within these threads (as i can remember)
3, its the slagging for slaggings sake that that bores me

i would like to think,  (that within the context of diblys bikes threads only, not in general), that the credibility of your claims due to the hypocracy of your "why would you bother" statement and your general approach to this topic, goes someway to getting this thread back to an intelligent discussion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:20 PM by OrgasmDonor »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2009, 08:58 PM »
1hr of my life i will never get back.
haro, how do you do

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2009, 09:01 PM »
1hr of my life i will never get back.

took me two hours.. :LolLolLolLol:

only part of this thread i enjoyed was that pic of a kickturn.  ;)
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

munners

« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Cant believe they fooked that performer. :uglystupid2:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Cant believe they fooked that performer. :uglystupid2:

Yes, but why would they bother  ::)