gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuff II + dishwasher =
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tuff II + dishwasher =  (Read 780 times)

bigsman

Tuff II + dishwasher =
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Decided to take the plunge the day (Mrs was out ;) ) and stick one of my black tuffs in the dishwasher since I'm sure I read that was the recommended way to get them back in looking the nutts.  The thing is its def clean now but it seems as though theres some sort of peeling going on and I'm sure I didn't put in any exfoliator lol.  No sure whether this has just revealed that the previous owner had done some weird coating/paintin/gluing whatever but I now have a v clean tuff with vartious flaky gluey bits of residue all over it!  Have I ******* up?!!

Cheers all

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Tuff II + dishwasher =
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:54 PM »
get some pics up.
I want to touch ORB

mark 2

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Sounds like it's had a lick of paint from a rattle can. If it has it's safe to put nitromoors on a tuff apparently....

bigsman

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Had the thing soaking in wd40 last night ...and it was dark so no pics til this morning.  I think it has had paint just not very well done or unfiorm.  Its come up a bit better with the wd but still needs work I reckon.  No sure if the effect will come through too well in the pics so if it is paint whats the best way to take it back and then bring it back to black again?  I was thinking more wd40 and wet n dry is that about right?  No sure about the nitromors idea...as I say the paint isnt all over it and has anybody done this before or are me and my tuff  the guinnea pigs?  :shocked:

Whats your recommendations folks?

cheers  :coolsmiley:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Nitromors is usually used to get paint off tuffs,,,it works fine, and doesnt damage the wheel.

you could use wet and dry, that willl work, but youll risk scoring the nylon, if you use anything too coarse, so go easy with it.

I want to touch ORB

bigsman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Cheers man Nitromors sounds like the thing to get then...can you spray it on or do you need to submerge the things in it?  Still tempted by the wet n dry to try and get rid of the odd nick n scrape here n there as well though...what grade should I use any idea?  Thanks for the help!  Don't suppose you know the best way to remove old bearing cups by any chance?!

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:19 AM »
you brush nitromors on. use gloves, it burns. Read the instructions on the tin.

you can use wet and dry, but get a few grades, working from medium to very fine. I have used 1200, and it gets better as it gets more used, in terms of the polishing effect.

bearing cups will pry out with a fine screwdriver. best to leave them and regrease them, unless they are totally knackered though.
I want to touch ORB

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuff II + dishwasher =

gfxgfx
gfx gfx