gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 08:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Scottish Oldschool Summer 2009 Series
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Scottish Oldschool Summer 2009 Series  (Read 30797 times)

tonloc

Re: Scottish Oldschool Summer 2009 Series
« Reply #275 on: June 24, 2009, 11:07 PM »
lol,  I will start i am Tony your wee brother, in fact a run down of details from memory.

1st Bike: red and white burner (cool), Yes BMX, Silverfox
Gearing: mainly 45 x 17
Started Racing: 1983
Finished Racing: 1987-8
Best Track: Nairn
Worst Track: Ayr

Best Rankings:
No 20 UKBMXA 1985
No 1 Scotland - 1984 think

Highlight: Worlds Slough, Slagharen Euros

New School Bike - Loan of a Ripper i think from now on after the busted ribs i got on Sunday.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:00 AM by tonloc »

teamsano

« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2009, 11:42 PM »
name-goags
1st bike- burner
1st doubles ever jumped- bathgate old track on rab lambies old whitefox 1985
first race-ek 1985
last race -c'nauld? 1995-96 i think there were 14 folk there.
fave track-nairn,c'nauld,wells
worst track-airdrie

best ranking- british champs, derby 17+ 5th place. scottish king of dirt 91-92. pontins british freestyle champ 87.

Rab-Lambie

« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Tony your first bike was a red and white burner...   :)

name :- Rab-Lambie
First bike:- gold ultra burner
last bike:- Kuwahara laserlite
NS bike:- Redline Proline Pro
OS gearing run :- 44 -17 or 18
started racing around :- 1981
finished racing around :- 1987-88

Best Rankings:-
National Rank :- 7th (missed two meetings with broke ankle)
Regional Rank :- 4th

fav moment:-
comentated jumping session with just me and 4 UK racing Pro's... one being Andy Ruffell
at Cumbernauld UK Champions of Champions, thats was around 1986 i think.

first track raced :- Falkirk
fav track :- nairn
worst track :- Glasgow North, Hawick

daftest jump:-
jumped 22 people lying side by side with 3 beer gegs at the end. the ramp
was a bedroom door sitting on more beer gegs. the runway was through woods, then crossed a busy main road into
more woods then take off! bike at the time was a gold ultra burner with no breaks or coaster, v-bars and no grips. (old school at its best)

worst fall:-
livingston skate park:- just arrived for first time, pissing of rain. pedaled into park full pelt from one end to other.
breaks didnt work due to rain and shot out a small opening on the wall at top end of park falling about 20ft onto rocks.
woke up about ten minutes later with a crowd round me. apparently my last words on shooting out of the park at speed were "mummy"  :D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:58 PM by Rab-Lambie »

MarkMcPake

« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2009, 02:41 PM »

Name: Mark McPake
First Bike: Burner
Last bike: GT Pro Series
NS Bike: GT Tour
Gearing: 44 - 16
Started: 85
Finshed: 92

Best Rankings

Scottish National No.1 - 91/92
British Champs 6th - 91

Fav moment

1986 in Slough and Brits in Derby Stadium

First Track - Bathgate - was jumping the doubles at 7
Fav Track - Cumbernauld
Worst - Blairgowarie
Last Race - Inverness or Clydebank last week :)

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2009, 07:58 PM »
name : Kenny Hunter
First bike:- Halfords Turbo
last bike:- Last O/S bike I raced properly was my Diamond Back HL Turbo, which I still raced at Coppull in 1996  :D
NS bike:- ONE Pro 52
OS gearing run :- 44/16 until the 90's when I rode 45/16 or 46/16 (I was a lot fitter then!)
started racing around :- 1981
finished racing around :- 1988 (Inverness National), then did a wee bit in 1991 and 1995 (Scotland) and 1996 (Coppull national and the Brighton Worlds) 1997 (Coppull national & The Grands)

Best Rankings:-
National Rank :- 10th - 1984 season, 1st scottish national series, unless you count 1995 when I was #6 after doing 2/3 races as there were so few of us by then  :(
Regional Rank :- 6th
Oh, and Scottish Oldschool #1 for the last two series  :coolsmiley:  Not anymore though!

fav moment:-
Being at Brighton Worlds to see Dale & Jamie win 20" & Cruiser titles. And latterly, every time Kevin Rettie comes to Clydebank so I can beat him and make up for all those times he kicked my ass in the 80's  ;D

first track raced :- Falkirk
fav track :- Cumbernauld original track
worst track :- Glasgow North, Lochend.

Paulo

« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2009, 09:18 PM »

Name: Paul Kennard
First bike: Pro Star
Current bike. Mongoose Cali
Dream bike: 1986 tubed Skyway TA (deposit paid come on Ed I'm still waiting!)
Born: On two wheels (no my Mum wasn't the local bike)
Started racing 1982 Acur Aces, Shoreham By Sea, England, England
Best bitd result: 7th in A final - club level
Best current day result: last

Fav moment: Loving each meeting at Titans, seeing EVERYBODY get a kick out of riding a bike. Oh yeh...listening to Davey doing the PA on race day.

Rab-Lambie

« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35 PM »
well im just back from the track tonight... nearly 10pm when i left... was a sunny clear night but had a head on wind on first straight and third straight so limited doing much so those there began a wee jumping session. had a right good laugh though. other than my eyes were running like a burn due to hay fever and the wind.
managed to jump all the jumps on the last straight in one go now without pedaling after the first doubles. so i was kinda pleased at that only being back in it after a few weeks. just got the tripples to do but i recon if i dont have a wind head on ill get there soon. spent rest of time just chatting and trying to take the track jumps much faster.
had the new vans on and oddessey black widow pedals on tonight and my feet are sticking like glue. down side of them is the edge of pedal cage is pretty big and can be mistaken for the flat section for a second or two. but still so much better. just got my freewheel to change now and im hopefully cooking with gas, just need to find a compfortable technique to take the jumps at speed without jumping the buggers.  :D

have to mention Steve here... (the guy that drives the bmw with his son that rides white bike) well there was 4 of us getting a wee jumping session going as i said. been at it most the night. steve was doing really well jumping the doubles etc and getting his confidence back and quickly at that too...
we decided to call it a night but did a couple of jumps before going. i went first then steve right behind me... what a bloody BANG! not sure how but he clipped his front wheel on the second double and landed on his head, shoulder and arm right on the tarmac. normally theres a slide, a scuffing motion noise with a crash but he hit the ground like a bag of tatties and just stopped dead. i mean major pain here lads! i crapped it and i was just turning to him coming to meet me at the time.
when he lifted his head he was out it, staring into space looking right through me... white as a ghost. 
we had to give him a hand into his car with the bikes but he think he has broke his shoulder. all the impact was on his head and shoulder...
lucky as hell to have full length arm protection, fullface helmet and gloves. that said he gouged the pastic in the arm protection and still managed to cut the hell out his elbow and arm. hes going to be one sore guy tomorrow.

hope your OK mate, a pure dullion of a tumble... nightmare after doing so good too!

SORRY for the change of subject there guys.,,, Please keep the background info replies going as its really interesting to read about who and what was acheived etc.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:19 AM by Rab-Lambie »

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50 PM »
Am absolutely gutted to hear about Steve falling - the tar is fkucin hard to land on - particularly as he's just come back after another bad injury..............where have I heard that one before?!  Hope it's not as serious as it sounds.

Rab don't let the triples get the better of you - some things weren't designed to be jumped on some tracks; if u look at them the 2nd & 3rd lips are higher than the first and there isn't enough space to get a pedal in between the doubles and them; without losing your composure!  Leave them until we get the JCB in to make the first lip way bigger for the Scottish Open in Sept?

Ian when u going to Muss for a recce - Sun or Mon night? - you're probably already training there on the XLP!!!!!

kevin rettie

« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Being at Brighton Worlds to see Dale & Jamie win 20" & Cruiser titles. And latterly, every time Kevin Rettie comes to Clydebank so I can beat him and make up for all those times he kicked my ass in the 80's  ;D

Ouch!   :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:55 AM by kevin rettie »

Niall76

« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Ah, finally I'm back on the net.  Had to get a new cable put in here.

Anyhow, Steve, man I'm sorry to hear that!  I hope you're alright?  Has anyone heard from him?

Muscle beach track looks like it's going to be a belter, how come we've never heard about this until now?  It's brilliant that there's another track available to use.  Scott D - you keep saying you know someone in at Glasgow Council, it's time to get in touch with them and show them what's happening over on the East coast.

We'll be heading over to Clydebank tomorrow afternoon - is anyone else going to be there?

archboi

« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Am absolutely gutted to hear about Steve falling - the tar is fkucin hard to land on - particularly as he's just come back after another bad injury..............where have I heard that one before?!  Hope it's not as serious as it sounds.

Rab don't let the triples get the better of you - some things weren't designed to be jumped on some tracks; if u look at them the 2nd & 3rd lips are higher than the first and there isn't enough space to get a pedal in between the doubles and them; without losing your composure!  Leave them until we get the JCB in to make the first lip way bigger for the Scottish Open in Sept?

Ian when u going to Muss for a recce - Sun or Mon night? - you're probably already training there on the XLP!!!!!

Sorry to hear about Scott too.Take it easy out there guys.A lot of old boys getting hurt on the comeback.Hope Scott is ok.

Cant go to Mussi track Monday night as i'm working backshift but can go tomorrow Brett. Meeting Kevin Rettie at 11am but i can meet you anytime as i dont live too far away.
New track just across from where the old one was.Its not really rideable yet and i don't want to get the XLP dirty

archboi

« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Sorry Steve not Scott :-[

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2009, 03:53 PM »
How's the track shaping up Ian, are there still a few bits you've yet to finalise the plans for?

Paulo

« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2009, 06:30 PM »

Steve, Steve, Steve. I hope you OK man.

Can't get to the track tomorrow, I've got a wedding to go to.

Brett, Ian. If you do go to mushy biatch tomorrow take a camera. Saw the pics from the other day but from the sounds of things, its moving pretty quick. Difficultly is getting more cash quickly. Has anyone got a couple of grand in their back pocket to give the digging team a bung  :LolLolLolLol:

archboi

« Reply #289 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58 PM »
How's the track shaping up Ian, are there still a few bits you've yet to finalise the plans for?

Not too bad mate.Will not see anyone again till Monday as they're off for the weekend.Will go and see them before i go to work.Are you coming through for a look tomorrow?

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Was hoping to come through later today, but I've still got to get the Honda road legal for its MOT tomorrow.

From the photos it looks like we're gonna have some jumps to practice on in Scotland - at last!!  We just need some wall of death berms to link the straights

MarkMcPake

« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Jumps are a good thing looking at the videos from cheddar this weekend,  need to arrange some sessions in the burgh as soon as the track is ready ;). Is anyone planning to go to Hartlepool in August?

Niall76

« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Anyone heading over this Thursday?

Rab-Lambie

« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2009, 08:24 PM »
as long as its not too windy or wet ill be over around 6.30-7.pm'ish.... dying with hayfever at the mo...  :buck2:

anyone venture over to musselburghs new track then?

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I'll be through on Thurs as long as it's not pishin down.  Finally got my NS ride together at about 1030 last night and went for a blat in the dark at Rug Track - managed 2 laps b4 the bevvied neds were getting a bit too interested....it was hilarious tho hearing the patter from one of the burds to her man- 'naw yur no gettin me up the duff - beet it ya durty bsaturd'....'aw cum on.  I was pissin my self on the way home.

I didn't manage thru to Muss, but Ian reckons it'll be complete in 2 weeks - he's trying to get the council to up the spec from a 'fun track' to a race spec one, but they're working to a limited budget - a bit short-sighted!  Jumps sound good tho - big dubs, step-down, rythym section..... Ian was working with the team building it to re-shape the jumps & lips to put something together we can race on.

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2009, 09:57 PM »
was there yesterday with Ian and it is starting ot take shape. we made some more changes yesterday which they have started on. check the mussleburgh thread for a link to Fraser Eadie's website for pics he took yesterday.

kevin rettie, paulo and myself are meeting there tomoroow at 1pm to see what more they have done and give further guidance. I am taking my cruiser to test it out for rideability.

I will also be taking my laptop to show them pics of peterborough, preston, etc so they can better understand the types of jumps

Rab-Lambie

« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2009, 11:15 PM »
quick question guys...

if i buy an OS frame and fork and use the parts on my NS redline for the time being. can i ride OS or still only NS?

just wondering...  :)

teamsano

« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2009, 11:47 PM »
i can't remember the exact spec of your redline rab, but i'm pretty sure a lot of the parts wouldn't be compatible with a o/s f+f.

i.e - b.b., brakes, headset, stem, seatpost, seatclamp

stevj

« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Rab get on ebay you could have an OS bike built in a week of there mate happy shopping  :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Niall76

« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Muscle beach track is looking good.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Scottish Oldschool Summer 2009 Series

gfxgfx
gfx gfx