gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Race Bars...how to be sure?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Race Bars...how to be sure?  (Read 3173 times)

bigsman

Skyway Race Bars...how to be sure?
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Long story short...bought a whole load of stuff around 4 years ago ( 2x t/a frame & forks - 1 white standard, 1 chrome x/l) and a fair amount of other bits n bobs to do builds and well...kids came along and the poor t/a's have been buried in the garage for all that time.  I know thats bad craic but I have taken them out to stroke them now and again so it's not like I'm neglecting them or anything  :D

Anyway I might be getting some time back to myself in the near future and I'm thinking build time so I've started digging all the bits out...but I've been away from the site/scene for a fair while and not paying attention to ebay and buying n selling hence the question:

When I bought the stuff I got a set of Skyway race bars as part of one of the deals and to me they look tip top but reading around they seem to be rare as you know what... but how do I know they're the real deal?  I've had a shuftie but there seems to be no stamp or embossing or anything and I don't want to do my victory dance and then find out they're just some boggo jallopies so how do I tell?

Cheers all.

PS Not gonna do the build in April if there's 4 other t/a's going up  ;D

daz bmx it!

Re: Skyway Race Bars...how to be sure?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40 PM »
get a pic up on here :daumenhoch: the Anoraks will tell you ;)

bigsman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Thought that might be the plan...taken one just need to find out how to upload  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:07 PM »
They are exactly the same shape and knurling as the ez mark 1 bars but they have a straight cross bar rather than the two curved bars.

rare as fook.

bigsman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:29 PM »
They are exactly the same shape and knurling as the ez mark 1 bars but they have a straight cross bar rather than the two curved bars.

rare as fook.

Don't have any other bars to compare to but 'knurling' worries me as I don't think theres any on the cross bar?

Ok attempt at putting an image up...!

Oops its massive  ;)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:59 PM »

rare as fook.

I think Nick is refering to the knurling where the stem goes, there wouldn`t be any knurling on the crossbar of race bars, and would you be interested in selling or doing some trades for the T/A xl ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

munners

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:09 PM »
These are race bars. Your knurling looks fine.

I have sent Radman my dimensions before but i cant find the pm.

mark 2

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Wouldn't the knurling be in 4 sections , i.e. the 2 sections of knurling but with a smooth strip down the middle of each one?

bigsman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:14 PM »

rare as fook.

I think Nick is refering to the knurling where the stem goes, there wouldn`t be any knurling on the crossbar of race bars, and would you be interested in selling or doing some trades for the T/A xl ?

That makes sense about no knurling on race bars right enough.. kinda under the weather slow today!

Hmm as tempting as it is to sell some of this stuff I promised myself I'd have a white and a chrome t/a in my lifetime since I never had one when I was into bmx proper bitd so I'm not selling or trading for now - I'll let you know if that changes though.  I'm still in 2 minds about the builds cos some of the things I have are totally NOS but they've sat in the garage for 5 years and deserve to be part of a proper bike.  I am missing a few bits to be able to complete both builds too and I don't want to lay out daft money to finish them.  I'll mull it over for now - cheers.

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Keep the frame you like the most (be that the white or the chrome), afterall a TA is a TA is a TA...

Then sell the other, and use the money to build a no expense spared monster TA to rival that of munners above (surely one of the nicest around (its certainly my fave, and that coming from a non lover of chrome TA's - despite the fact I own one).  TA's deserve the best parts available to man.

That is my biggest problem, the fact that I cant afford the best bits available; doing a TA justice is hard work on a budget.

bigsman

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Aye its a good suggestion Danny cheers.  Thing is I nearly have enough bits to build both and the bits I do have already I would describe as being pretty much no expense spared and very very nearly enough to complete 1 perfect build:  3 graphite tuff 2s (yeh 3! long story don't ask!), 401 flights, NOS Skyway race bars, NOS Skyway graphite pedals, Dia Compe Mx1000s, Suntour stem, Uno 1 piece seat/post, full cali lite padset.  Its really just the finishing the details I need to sort out - headset, tyres, tuff pads.  Then there's the work side...like how to rebuild a rear tuff2 axle and whether or not I should try and re-rivet the hub (its bolted through and doesn't look as good as it should/could).  I've got some graft to put in and some decisions to make!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Aye its a good suggestion Danny cheers.  Thing is I nearly have enough bits to build both and the bits I do have already I would describe as being pretty much no expense spared and very very nearly enough to complete 1 perfect build:  3 graphite tuff 2s (yeh 3! long story don't ask!), 401 flights, NOS Skyway race bars, NOS Skyway graphite pedals, Dia Compe Mx1000s, Suntour stem, Uno 1 piece seat/post, full cali lite padset.  Its really just the finishing the details I need to sort out - headset, tyres, tuff pads.  Then there's the work side...like how to rebuild a rear tuff2 axle and whether or not I should try and re-rivet the hub (its bolted through and doesn't look as good as it should/could).  I've got some graft to put in and some decisions to make!

Look likes you'll end up with a couple of nice TA's then mate - show us some piccies when they're done....... and good luck with the hunt for your final bits  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:38 PM »
bars look good to me .. :daumenhoch: i will get ya some measurements  to compare
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:40 PM by pkradman »

martylaa

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Look the same as mine mate, very nice and very rare :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Race Bars...how to be sure?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx