gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Silly question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Silly question  (Read 706 times)

dannywhiteley

Silly question
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:41 PM »
What side of the bars should the rear brake go?  Ive seen them fitted on both sides, but left hand side (as you look when riding) seems most common.

daz bmx it!

Re: Silly question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I'd say RHS for front,LHS for rear if your running both or if only rear brake I tend to put it on the RHS :daumenhoch:

Juju

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:11 PM »
UK is front rhs, I think the rest of the world is the other way round.

TBH, your probably right handed, and therefore probably stronger grip from all that w@nking you did as a kid. That means you can probably better modualte your braking with your right hand.   As over 70% of braking (its physics) happens on the front wheel, due to all the weight being thrown forward and onto the rim through the front brake, it makes sense that the hand that easilly modulates, does so on the most powerful stopper.  The weight explains why rear wheel skids are so easy, and geometry explains why front wheel skids are bad news - especially on motorbikes.

Typically with suspension, motorbikesput 90% of braking through the front - hense big twindisck 4 piston calipers on big rotors - but even superbikes have crappy little small rotored single or dual piston brakes. Even ahts enough to lock up a rear wheel easilly, and also why the rear brake on a motorbike is foot operated - as a hand is much more sensitive to modualtion, and hense on a motorbike the left hand lever is the clutch, and the right the front brake.

telelogic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19 PM »
What he said ;)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Personal choice, I have always had my rear on the right, but use whatever feels best for you :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Personal choice, I have always had my rear on the right, but use whatever feels best for you :daumenhoch:

same
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:53 PM »
rear left front right
only the yanks have it wrong ie the other way round lol

Juju

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:09 PM »
But if you *do* deviate from UK standard, please  tell someone before you let them borrow your bike.  We all know Endo's are easy when planned, but a big grab of front brake when you meant to washt the rear usually leads to dental bills. and we all know how hard it is to find a dentist......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Silly question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx