gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  decent brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: decent brakes  (Read 3530 times)

spesh

decent brakes
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:52 PM »
just bought the haro zippo off here(gremlin) and it doeasnt have any brake posts so what calipers can i use tha will give me brakes as good as the ad brakes off my old shredder?
i proberbly wont be using a gyro so maybe 901s?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: decent brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:56 PM »
in short none......no old school brake will work anywhere near as good as an AD but a cheap set of 901's will do the job okay  :daumenhoch:

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:48 PM »
W.H.S ... i have a zippo from the same era and was looking forward to "going back to calipers" ..untill  i went and rode the bike and compared it to the stock u-brakes on my 06 sport :wtf: ..it`s amazing how shite old school calipers are in comparison , easy to see why  b.i.t.d we spent sooo much time dialling them in :2gunsfiring_v1: ..i just stuck some mx on and faffed about with them till i had them somewhere near the performance of modern brakes , on a bad day .. i love the look of calipers but for a rider it has to be new school brakes for me ! :daumenhoch:
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:53 PM »
By the way , meant to say ...well done on grabbing that zippo ..was very tempted meself :smitten: ....it looked fooking lovely .. what plans you got for it? ..can`t wait to see it built up  :4_17_5:
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:11 PM »
get yourself an ad99o brake plate from billys, mount it upside down and use the clear pads from the rad shop.
youll need to make a cable stop, there are various ways to do it, I used a tnt 2 piece seat clamp and drilled holes in the side and put cables adjusters in the holes.
drop us a line if you get stuck.

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:15 PM »
you might as well have two lumps of butter against your rim!

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:38 PM »
heres a pic of the mod,

and the plate is here,
http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/english/product.php?part=BSDNUPH
I ran one of the on my old hooligan for years and it worked a treat.
if youre running a straight cable then you could probaly put an adjuster in the cable guide on the top tube of your frame, might pull a bit pissed but with stodgys pads on you wouldnt notice it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:40 PM by biggeorge »

spesh

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:11 PM »
im going to use the forks off my shredder as they have ad mounts and a member on here has an ad plate for me but i like the look of calipers but as im a fat git i need good brakes and the brake set-up on my shredder was fantastic
suppose il have to compromise :LolLolLolLol:

im going to put some haro master decals on it coz i dont like plain bikes :LolLolLolLol:
id really like one of those 2006 sports but the price on those seems to be going up,or i could wait until the gen1 2009 prices start to come down and put some nice parts on one

il post some pics when the zippo is built :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 06:24 PM »
get a big bolt BOA.  they worked  ish.....

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:42 PM »
heres a pic of the mod,

and the plate is here,
http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/english/product.php?part=BSDNUPH
I ran one of the on my old hooligan for years and it worked a treat.
if youre running a straight cable then you could probaly put an adjuster in the cable guide on the top tube of your frame, might pull a bit pissed but with stodgys pads on you wouldnt notice it.

hows the caliper or brake plate fitted to the frame there in the pic

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Get a pit bull and set it up properly, they work good if done right  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:38 PM »

hows the caliper or brake plate fitted to the frame there in the pic

that frames a standard, when i did it on the hooligan, the ad plate was fitted on the underside of the normal upper brake mount so the mod would have to be near the top of the seat tube.
the mod made the brakes work really well on the standard as it pulled the brake arms straight.

thecrooch

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:01 AM »
If you want a Pitbull i have 1, unused,    yours 4 free.    or if any1 else wants it, let me kno     :)

ill take it....  ::)

spesh

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:06 AM »
If you want a Pitbull i have 1, unused,    yours 4 free.    or if any1 else wants it, let me kno     :)

ill take it....  ::)

i wanted that you toe-rag

thecrooch

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 10:25 AM »
snoooooze you loooooooze  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  decent brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx