gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000, Kashimax, DC hinged clamps, Alloy hubbed Tuffs...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MX1000, Kashimax, DC hinged clamps, Alloy hubbed Tuffs...  (Read 923 times)

dannywhiteley

What is it with me that I now demand MX1000, Kashimax Aeros, DC hinged clamps etc on my builds, when 18 months ago I hardly new the difference?

I dont own any 901's anymore but I saw them as an expensive choice (£38 for a brake set...never!) when I started my first build, and the new tuffs just wont sit right on an old school bike.  It now has to be more era correct when I never thought I would get into that.

Im telling you, it'll be rainbow comps and the newer A'me's next for the chop... :(

I suppose many of you guys faced this years ago, and the ultimate target becomes full NOS era correctness.

Am I turing into a snob?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:15 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: MX1000, Kashimax, DC hinged clamps, Alloy hubbed Tuffs...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Nope, you just have the bug now and an itch that needs scratching  :LolLolLolLol:

I think we have all been there at somepoint and if we haven't believe me, we soon will be  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

munners

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Not at all. You are just building your bikes correctly for that era.

I didnt even know that the ame grips you see all over the net are repro's until last year.

When you start applying this to your builds it then gets expensive!

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49 PM »
That will do, will never do!

snav69

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I didnt even know that the ame grips you see all over the net are repro's until last year.

They aint repro's , A'me never stopped making them  :daumenhoch:

http://www.amegrips.com/

:coolsmiley:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:17 PM »

They aint repro's , A'me never stopped making them  :daumenhoch:

http://www.amegrips.com/

:coolsmiley:

My mantra these days on so many fronts  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

dannywhiteley

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I meant to ask about the A'me's.  Who considers the newer logo A'me grips to be an total no-no?

If they are still made by A'me today, they are effectively the same situation as twin pinch redlines.  I can see im gonna have to change em...

What about the SM mushroom grips?  They are ok right?

Finally, with the lack of era correct Comp III's about, it seems more acceptable to 'allow' rainbow labels onto old school builds.  What do you reckon?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:53 PM »
What is it with me that I now demand MX1000, Kashimax Aeros, DC hinged clamps etc on my builds, when 18 months ago I hardly new the difference?

I dont own any 901's anymore but I saw them as an expensive choice (£38 for a brake set...never!) when I started my first build, and the new tuffs just wont sit right on an old school bike.  It now has to be more era correct when I never thought I would get into that.

Im telling you, it'll be rainbow comps and the newer A'me's next for the chop... :(

I suppose many of you guys faced this years ago, and the ultimate target becomes full NOS era correctness.

Am I turing into a snob?

Yep i'm going through all that too  :LolLolLolLol:

Bought 901's then replaced them with MX1000's or MX900's or 890 / 1020 for era correctness - bought new tuffs and replaced with old - bought Comp 3 copy tyres and NEVER thought i'd pay out for tyres.......that's changed too !  :D

If you find a bargain frame n forks it's not a bargain frame n forks anymore.....cos it costs so much to complete it  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

etriedes

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:46 PM »

Finally, with the lack of era correct Comp III's about, it seems more acceptable to 'allow' rainbow labels onto old school builds.  What do you reckon?

Grippa Tyres, era correct and skinwall, don't come up often but when they do they can be fairly cheap

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Grippa Tyres, era correct and skinwall, don't come up often but when they do they can be fairly cheap

Aye - knarlers aren't too bad either  :)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000, Kashimax, DC hinged clamps, Alloy hubbed Tuffs...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx