gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:02 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Last steps at wheel lacing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Last steps at wheel lacing  (Read 1344 times)

Daletsunami

Last steps at wheel lacing
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Right decided to lace a set of wheels and everything was going great until the last step.

I done the first 9 then turned the rim over and done the next 9 turned it back over and put the inbetween bits in and then this is where it got tricky i can't seem to finish the last side, as soon as I put 3 or 4 in I can't get to the other side to put the nipple on the spoke.

Any advice cos this is driving me crazy  :tickedoff:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Last steps at wheel lacing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Sounda like you could have gone wrong somewhere, did you follow the wheel lacing thread that`s in the tech section ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Daletsunami

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I did mate yea, have checked and double checked and it all looks right it's just the last step I seem to be struggling with :idiot2:

There's a total of about 4 that just don't reach

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:57 PM »
are you using the correct sized spokes. if you are it sounds like you've spoked the off set wrong. I will try explain

right you laced the first 9 spokes leaving a three hole gap between. right the spoke you started with which would have gone in next to the valve hole. (looking from the side you just did) you need to run directly across the hub from that flange hole to the other flange and the first hole to the left of it is where you start the other side. if looking from the side you want to lace its the hole to the right of the one your started on the other side.

I will try find a pic if you dont understand that. lmk  Marc :daumenhoch:

also the spoke holes in the rims are zig zagged. for example all the spokes on the left flange need to go to the left spoke holes in the rim and all the right to the right.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:00 PM by kuwahero »

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:24 PM »
If it`s only the last 4 spokes could it be that you have tightened the others too much, or that a few of the nipples could not have seated properly ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

moley

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Good suggestion by Bill!!

I made the same mistake lacing mine!!

As the wheel nears completion it will get harder to lace due to the tension on all sides, especially if you've tightened some more than others!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:19 PM »
when you are lacing, 4 turns of each nipple is best, 3 or 5 would be ok but the key is each nipple/spoke should be the same all the way to the truing/dishing stage. what pattern are you using Dale, cross 3?

Also did you use a spoke calculator? it is cruicial that you have the right spoke length, you should see no threads above the nipple when complete, likewise make sure you dont see spoke/threads popping out of the nipple in the outer side. The reason for this is simple, less threads inside the nipple (either side) is a weaker wheel, it will work but will be weaker. A perfect wheel will have no threads showing either side if the nipple when built and true
 :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

moley

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Diggler!!, Do you know of an Online Spoke Calculator?

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:37 PM »
theres one on the dt swiss website moley. just join up and you can use it. I did for building my dxr wheels and they are bob on.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:42 PM »
theres one on the dt swiss website moley. just join up and you can use it. I did for building my dxr wheels and they are bob on.
Dont need to join, you can use it as a guest  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

moley

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Yep I noticed that Marc!!

For full function and printing etc, etc the you have to register.

Heres the direct link to the page :-

http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/Calculator.aspx

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Are you German :2funny:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Agree to terms and conditions, click anon usage and proceed.

Or you can join up...... and as jimmy P will tell you, you are then part of a New World Order  :2funny:

Daletsunami

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Just had chance to read all of the replies and think i've done everything right but still no joy  :'(

When I lace everything but the last side of spokes it looks perfect, it even looks right when I put the first spoke in on the last side but then it doesn't pull down (if you imagine I put the first spoke in at 12 o'clock) to the 6 o'clock position I've tried loosening the spokes off but no joy.

Where I bought the spokes from (a unicycle shop) said they had a wheel builder, so I'll be having one last go tonight and then I might have to go see them for a bit of advice.

I did start doing it wrong the first time where I put the first spoke in wrong as somebody mentioned above but then I realised fairly quick and started again.

I'm sure is everything is how it should be............Large Flange SR hubs, 20" rims and 182mm spokes

I think I might try lacing the Araya Aero's with the smaller hubs and longer spokes see how that pans out

And i'll try get some pics of the stages too

Daletsunami

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Well decided that the pro class with large flange hubs were having non of it so put them to the side and started on my araya aero rims wirh small flange hubs and they have gone together a treat.

I'm now wondering if I have the right sized spokes???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Last steps at wheel lacing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx