gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dia-Tech AD999 Chainstay version on seat stay?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dia-Tech AD999 Chainstay version on seat stay?  (Read 3331 times)

Stella Dave

Dia-Tech AD999 Chainstay version on seat stay?
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Seen these for good price on ebay, will they work on seat stay? Are they any good?

dodger

Re: Dia-Tech AD999 Chainstay version on seat stay?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:45 PM »
same brake isent it? :-\

Stella Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59 AM »
No, chainstay version is angled so you can use micro gearing.
Wondering if the angle would be nearer the alignment of the cables too?

JT71

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:15 PM »
it'll still work dave, i use a regular, non angled brake on my seat stays.

:daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24 PM »
The whole angled arm thing is crap. Straight arms are much better.
All the angled arm does is hide the fact that there is a big kink in the cable alignment.
It does nothing to solve it  :tickedoff:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15 PM »
All the angled arm does is hide the fact that there is a big kink in the cable alignment.
Have you got your inventing cap on again Alex?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Dave, are you talking about the £19 ones off Cyclesport?  they work a treat mate on seat stays........i'm running one on mine and it's fine mate.....great brake to  :daumenhoch:

Stella Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Dave, are you talking about the £19 ones off Cyclesport?  they work a treat mate on seat stays........i'm running one on mine and it's fine mate.....great brake to  :daumenhoch:
Yeah, thats them. Around half price and CNC so they caught my eye.
Hmm, think I'll try one. Just wasn't sure if the angle would make the cable rub more on the adjuster on frame.

Stella Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:14 PM »
See for lower dual cable set up can i use my alone linear cable? I know i need another but would i have to buy it or can the one i have be halved? I'm thinking no as there wont be a knarp on the cut bit to put in the gyro.

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:48 AM »

Na, just have the brake on the chain stay and run the cable thru the seat tube. Its the best way, no question! Its a shame that fashion (oh, and micro drive) stops bikes having a chain stay brake.

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Alex is giving the official stamp on doubts I had as soon as angled arms started appearing. George had the solution years ago, angled mounts.
It must be hard to come up with one angle to suit all frames, so it's probably easier to just mount them squarely on the tube. Also, it gives brake makers (who are often also frame makers -coincidence?) a new pitch to draw in the punters. Seems to work, too.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I'm no engineer, but I would have thought that having the kink/bend in the stronger brake arm is better than having the cable kinked. At the moment I have a hombre on the chain stay and was thinking of getting one of these angled 999's and using a spoke as the bridging cable like I have seen (JT71, Harris). I have no hole through my seat tube. At the moment you can see that the cable would be pulling up on the brake arms as it does not run straight into the arms.
Hope that kinda makes sense :-\

Stella Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I'm no engineer, but I would have thought that having the kink/bend in the stronger brake arm is better than having the cable kinked. At the moment I have a hombre on the chain stay and was thinking of getting one of these angled 999's and using a spoke as the bridging cable like I have seen (JT71, Harris). I have no hole through my seat tube. At the moment you can see that the cable would be pulling up on the brake arms as it does not run straight into the arms.
Hope that kinda makes sense :-\
It does, I wondered exact same but then with angled will the cables rub more on the frame mount?
Have ordered these anyway, and some flexible noodles for the front.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:36 AM »
you'll have no problems with it.....superb brake and cheap as chips!  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04 AM »
I'm no engineer, but I would have thought that having the kink/bend in the stronger brake arm is better than having the cable kinked.

The problem is that the cable is pulling at an angle from the brake mounts. It makes no difference if the cable or the arms are kinked, you are still pulling from above (or below) the mounts, rather than in line with them. The kinked arms spread (hide) the bend. Some of it is at the arm, some is at the arm/cable junction, and some is at the cable/cable stop junction. Staight arms only spread the bend between the two cable junctions, which makes it look more obvious. They are both EXACTLY the same: the cable is pulling at an angle from the brake mount.

Angled arms do stop the cable junctions from having all the bend, so the cables might last longer, but there is still power lost from the lever. Mounting the cable outer stop at an angle is a big help, and Angled brake mounts help loads too, but they do look very strange.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:44 AM by S&MAlex »

Stella Dave

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Great diagram, this is wot was running through my head about the cables also. The cable at the london mod is gonna be rubbing on the adjuster the worst of all points. May try and think up some noodle mod for it.

Got the AD999, looks great for £20!

Stella Dave

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Got this all set up now and the left hand caliper wont pop out cos it's catching on the other one!
Thinkin about filing the other one to try and clear it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dia-Tech AD999 Chainstay version on seat stay?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx