gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 04:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Biggest baddest gnarliest dirt jump in the UK?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Biggest baddest gnarliest dirt jump in the UK?  (Read 1751 times)

paulgray

Biggest baddest gnarliest dirt jump in the UK?
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Who can claim to have the most massive dirt jump in the country? How big is it? Where's it at? Let's see your photos.

Here's the Ayton Quarry Trails contender ... Death Pack III

AQL Mike Hill

EDIT Mar 6th 09 - I understand that some trails are hush hush and locations must remain top secret for various reasons, if that's an issue then how about a few anonymous photo's?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:17 AM by paulgray »

jedi

Re: Biggest baddest gnarliest dirt jump in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01 PM »
used to be a big one at woburn
really big sets are rare nowdays

Bushwacked

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:50 AM »
I can't believe how big that it!!!

That must be a pit bike with a 5 yr old riding!!!

evamedia

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:06 AM »
How long is it? There's some nearly 30ft sets at Epsom

paulgray

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:13 AM »
How long is it? There's some nearly 30ft sets at Epsom

Gonna guess 20ft+ but I'll have to get me tape measure out and get the dimensions. Would love to see some photos from Epsom ...  :daumenhoch:

evamedia

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Summer 2007 in Ride, there was a pic of  Scott Malyon 360ing the first set, double page spread

muttley

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Epsom scares me just looking at it   :shocked:

evamedia

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:36 PM »
If epsom is still there we should organise a session soon as the weather improves!

Come down with a shovel for the next two months, and I'm sure they won't mind....

evamedia

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:51 PM »
it's there, but only runs in the summer, and they don't build themselves

Maccaz

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:46 PM »
sheeat there is trails in epsom? i live in kingston, only a 20 min bus ride with my bike!  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:48 PM by Maccaz »

Maccaz

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55 PM »
defo dude, kingston area has NOTHING. thers some jumps up in ham which is a mission and thats all they are - jumps. epsom sounds like a treat  ::)

Maccaz

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 05:58 PM »
win win! where are you based?

jedi

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:43 PM »
what evamedia means is that they are private built trails and you'll need to do work there with a shovel to earn the nod to ride there

scott250

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Paul, sorry to tell you that Ayton aint the bigest in the North of England.  The last set at those trails near digger land was a fair size bigger than the last in the death pack.  I think project 5's jump as huge too, but I've never seen them, only pics.  Ayton is big though.

paulgray

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Paul, sorry to tell you that Ayton aint the bigest in the North of England.  The last set at those trails near digger land was a fair size bigger than the last in the death pack.  I think project 5's jump as huge too, but I've never seen them, only pics.  Ayton is big though.

I was/am kinda hoping to get lots of awesome photos posted on this thread  :coolsmiley: but all talk so far  :(

scott250

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Some don't like to show trails on the internet because they do not want any old riders turning up, littering spots, not fixing landings & ruts in the lifts and all that which you can understand- as you know those jumps become your life - I know you've always built up the quary Paul.  The Quary is roots, most know it and the trust are OK with you building on it and riding it, some spots are closely guarded secrete spots, and thats cool.  I know Mikes riden those other trails and said they were bigger than Ayton- if Mikes says they are big you know they are f----g big, haha.  I'm of the opinion that if you build you should be able to hit other spots and let others who build ride yours, but I'm cool with most coming over my trails even if they don't dig mostly.  Anyone really not sticking to the unwritten rules of trails will be removed from mine which is why I'm not fussed about posting pics up anywheres.

paulgray

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Some don't like to show trails on the internet because they do not want any old riders turning up, littering spots, not fixing landings & ruts in the lifts and all that which you can understand- as you know those jumps become your life - I know you've always built up the quary Paul.  The Quary is roots, most know it and the trust are OK with you building on it and riding it, some spots are closely guarded secrete spots, and thats cool.  I know Mikes riden those other trails and said they were bigger than Ayton- if Mikes says they are big you know they are f----g big, haha.  I'm of the opinion that if you build you should be able to hit other spots and let others who build ride yours, but I'm cool with most coming over my trails even if they don't dig mostly.  Anyone really not sticking to the unwritten rules of trails will be removed from mine which is why I'm not fussed about posting pics up anywheres.

I hear what you say Scott, it's not really a problem here at AQ as we are fairly remote and unlikely to have the hordes descend on us, if AQ was near to a large urban area then it might be different, our biggest bug bear is litter from kids  >:(. As for 'dig to ride' I think if you're a local and wanna ride regular then you should dig or help out in some other way. I got no problem with occasional visitors, especially if they've made the effort to travel some distance, and I personally don't expect them to bring a spade. AQ has always been open to anyone and it's a friendly place, we like company ... so long as it's behave well and respects the trails ... otherwise  :knuppel2:  ;)

Mike's not had much help digging recently from what I've heard, guess that's been holding back the development of BIG stuff at AQ, if he's got some BIG ideas then the AQL are ready to help  :4_17_5: and the evil Dr.Tommy always has something diabolical up his sleave   :laugh:

P.S.

Hope you can make it over soon Scott and take a look at our winter work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:03 PM by paulgray »

scott250

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:26 PM »
The litter thing drives me mad.  I always take any bottles or bags away when I leave.  Don't know if you've evey been to the trails at catterick Paul, they are good fun but the local kids leave litter and me or Parksy or Mooch end up bagging it and taking it away, if not the locals who walk dogs complain and it could get leveled.

heres me knocking out a 1can at catterick trails a couple of years back¬

Mooch tree ride¬

Wez knocking out a turndown on his 24"¬

This is the start of the big line on my trails, its a 6pack leading to a canyon onto a 1/2 pipe(not the biggerst or knarliest, but its as big as I go these days, haha¬

Wez has built it up a bit for this year and you now have to jump into a step up and over a small roller double before you hit this.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:38 PM by scott250 »

paulgray

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 12:31 AM »
The litter thing drives me mad.  I always take any bottles or bags away when I leave.  Don't know if you've evey been to the trails at catterick Paul, they are good fun but the local kids leave litter and me or Parksy or Mooch end up bagging it and taking it away, if not the locals who walk dogs complain and it could get leveled.

heres me knocking out a 1can at catterick trails a couple of years back¬

Mooch tree ride¬

Wez knocking out a turndown on his 24"¬

This is the start of the big line on my trails, its a 6pack leading to a canyon onto a 1/2 pipe(not the biggerst or knarliest, but its as big as I go these days, haha¬

Wez has built it up a bit for this year and you now have to jump into a step up and over a small roller double before you hit this.

I been pickin other peoples litter today  :angel: Nice photos from Catterick, another place to add to my 'to visit' list. How did you get permission to build your jumps, do you rent the land or is it owned by someone you know ? I like the look of them and the dirt appears to be quite fine, is it easy diggin? It's quite varied in AQ from soiley to sandy to stoney to solid rock, as you know.

scott250

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Our Dad owns it Paul - its just a thin strip at the end of a field that he rents out to a horse owner.  So I can build what I want, but I have to clear it with him first or he get a little edgey with me if I don't haha.  Builing is OK, its clay under a foot or so of soil, grass is a problem- its not as good a building dirt as Ayton.  Catterick is odd stuff its silty sand - real easy to dig but hard to tap - seems best to shape it after its dryed and been wacked in bigger that you need it to be.  When its set its good and trees make it a wind safe ride.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Biggest baddest gnarliest dirt jump in the UK?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx