gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 04:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help please for a first time old skool bmx build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help please for a first time old skool bmx build  (Read 1268 times)

GavinKent

Help please for a first time old skool bmx build
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Hi

I've just bought an Aero Reflex frame and will be building it.  I've been looking on Ebay and other sites at parts, but I don't know whether the stuff I'm looking at is actually from the 80s although it's advertised as so.  Is there any way I can confirm that brakes, grips, skyways etc etc are actually proper old school?  I do really want all the original stuff, like it was when I was a kid.  Plus any good shops, suppliers etc., that anyone knows would be great.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bmxbob

Re: Help please for a first time old skool bmx build
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Hi mate, welcome to the site.

Get yourself a Site supporter tag on here and go to the for sale section, prepare to loose a few hours tho browsing the adds.

This site is great and the guys are very helpful, you should be able to find whatever you need.

:)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:45 PM »
As stated above mate - this is the place to get things for the "right" price so go get yourself a site supporter tag ;) and if something is wrongly advertised on here, trust me it will be pointed out very quickly.

As for shops there's alan's - he goes by the name of "grendel214" on ebay

Then there's biagio AKA "rockchick1" on ebay also AKA "r-dog-gym" on ebay

and also "skatepool" on ebay.

All the above have been around for donkeys and will have decent bits but be prepared to get your wallet out as the above 3 will charge a decent wedge above what people on here will sell for..... but if they have the part you need and it aint available here then why not ? There are others but these are probs the main 3. There is a name and shame section on here that points out some dodgy sellers on ebay etc. which is worth checking out if you are nervous about bidding with a seller.

Hope this helps and welcome to the addiction, sorry I mean site  ;D :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:48 PM by bobafett »
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

sweetbeats

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Good luck with the build and enjoy the site,should be able to pick up some good bargains on here as well :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:58 PM by sweetbeats™ »

donnydresser

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13 PM »
the guys on here know the score   bro  best site for bmx    :smitten:

electobooty

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31 PM »
as above, also the reflex is a good base for a rider/pubmobile  :daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:14 AM »
if skyways have alloy hubs, youcan pretty much guarentee theyre oldschool.

the new ones have plastic hubs.
I want to touch ORB

GavinKent

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Thanks for all the comments - really helpful.  So, on the Different Path website, for example, they have Dia Compe MX901 brakes that say old school.  Are they from the 80s, then?

Thanks again

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16 PM »
You can also e-mail the seller if their is anything you are unsure about. Most sellers would answer you honestly i believe, if they dont then you can open up a dispute. As i said though, e-mail anything your unsure about first before buying  :daumenhoch:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24 PM »
DC MX901's are mid 80's (would be fine for your build - still cheap £40 ish for a NOS set) - I think JT71 may have some of these left?
DC 900/1000's early 80's (will set you back £80-£175 a set depending on condition?)

as mr Fruit says alloy hubbed tuffs are OLD School (although I think they did start making plastic hubbed tuffs mid/late 80's ?? a lot of peep still use the new sealed bearing tuffs on builds,

twin pinch Redline Cranks are new, so are proline cranks (Both often marked as old school) - if your gonna invest in redlines get single pinch 'full wraps' if unsure ask on here or ask the seller - most sellers are Honest, only a few rogues about so beware !

for the Aero reflex i'd go for suntour 3-pice or sugino 1 piece cranks,

get a 'site supporter tag' - only £10 and put some posts in 'wanted' or have a look in the 'for sale' section

:)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Try not to deal with any Monkeybiscuits, i heard they have Italian connections  :-X

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Best source of information is to go onto the Museum section of the site and have a look at the pictures and parts listings, you will then start to notice what parts are used on most builds, if you are unsure still then simply do what you already have done and ask on site, someone will be happy to help.

Welcome to the site by the way, you have a good base to start with as the Aero Reflex is a top frame and seriously under-rated.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 02:00 PM »
I think the Different Path website is run by "JT SMOOTH" on here mate - top bloke bought off him a couple of times, and as mentioned above "JT71" on here is also a top seller who i've bought off through this site and also through ebay "musicjoe" on ebay i think - Joe correct me if i'm wrong  :-[ the last "shop" i'd probably mention is "RETROSPECTBMX" and that's "cbrgil" on here and ebay - Mark is another friendly seller who will help you out .
As always it's worth checking all sources for bits to get the best price / availability before you part with your hard earned   ;)

.................enjoy the hunt for parts  :daumenhoch:

.................I reckon i'm addicted to the hunt more than anything  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

GavinKent

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:40 PM »
You guys are all so helpful - really kind of you, so thanks.  I'll check all these links, people out etc., and look at what's on the built bikes.  Plus I'll get a tag.  I need to learn prices as I think I've probably already paid too much for the frame!! javascript:void(0);

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help please for a first time old skool bmx build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx