gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  What are these things seen on old Suntour/Campagnolo Hubs etc
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What are these things seen on old Suntour/Campagnolo Hubs etc  (Read 781 times)

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:

See these on a few old very early 80's hubs like those mentioned..they clip onto centre of hub shaft....

Does anyone know why? What is their purpose?

snav69

Re: What are these things seen on old Suntour/Campagnolo Hubs etc
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:24 PM »
The hubs used to have oil holes so you could keep the shaft nice and lubed  :daumenhoch: and that was the cover  ;)

Paul  :coolsmiley:

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Another use...

It's also like the resistance spring out of a suntour coaster brake, or nankai freecoaster (among others).

In a coaster hub, it helps provide "lag" so that when you crank the pedals forward, it kinda makes the clutch ride up the helical bit of the driver and bite against the inside of the hub shell and get the friction needed to drive you forward, and it's spring loaded so that it sorta floats when the axle is turning. At least I think that's its purpose  ;D

According to www.free-coaster.com, it provides: "Resistance (There must be some kind of resistance, usually a spring, against the axle so that the hub can “tell” the difference between pedaling forward and rolling backward). "

Brian  :daumenhoch:

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Thanks guys... I'd tend to go with Pauls explanation as they definately clip on the outside middle of the hub body, like where a decal would go.....

Ive had a Suntour coaster brake in bits before now, so i see where that thought is too...it is very similar to that clip....

Maybe Mattdub knows, he resto'd some old hubs last year, I'll wait and see his thoughts too..

Cheers Guys.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39 PM »
In the words of Alan partridge... Aha... looks like the pic i posted does come from the coaster brake, but it was clipped to the outside of an old normal large flange hub... like this
(not my picture btw)

Confused.com...   ;D  Would love to know for def what these were though.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Yep I think Paul's right ( :daumenhoch: )

I've seen those before also, and I think they sometimes also had a wee spud sticking out from the underside to locate in the oil hole and stop it creeping about the hub body.

Brian :)

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46 PM »
there is a small hole near the bearing too, this is to clean the hub. you squeeze oil in through the small hole and it comes out through the centre under that cover with all the dust and shit. This is what a road bike old fella told me in holland where i used to get campy and shimano stuff from. he had the proper oil can for it and even demonstrated. :LolLolLolLol: old school roadbike bloke. he had so much campy stuff. never seen so much. the oil went in and loosened old grease or dirty grease. He said they used to pump oil through with the hub spinning and then grease. This cleaned the dusty grease without dismanteling the whole hub. it also was used just to loosen grease after long runs. God idea? give me a sealed bearing anyday.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:00 PM by J.T.Racing »
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  What are these things seen on old Suntour/Campagnolo Hubs etc

gfxgfx
gfx gfx