gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline PL20 Carrerra Question for the EXPERTS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline PL20 Carrerra Question for the EXPERTS  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Redline PL20 Carrerra Question for the EXPERTS
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:52 AM »
OK guys... a bit of background info into my quest then a tricky question to all the Redline experts!

A couple of years back I purchased a Redline PL20 Frame & Forks from the states... it has the triangle gusset behind the seatube, brace between the chainstays and the oval Redline stamp on the bottom bracket and Forks stearer tube. With the Red/Yellow fade decals I guessed it to be a 1984 model like you see in the advert also shown below. I put a lot of work into polishing it and had it rechromed... turned out mint! Then stickered it up as a Proline II Frameset as you can see.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it always bugged me that it wasn't really a true Proline II or Carrerra which has always been my dream bike. I've managed to get the correct NOS Red/Yellow fade decals for it now as you can see so they'll be going on soon!

My recent good fortune on ebay has turned up a genuine USA made 1st Generation Proline II Frame in Candy Red.. as you can see, no triangle gusset, chainstay brace or Redline Oval stamp... so I'm well pleased to say the least  :smitten:

I've also got a set of forks for it on the way and here lies the killer question  :idiot2:

The forks that are coming are EXACTLY the same as the ones I already have... same dropout shape, Redline stamp etc BUT.....
I've looked at a few other Proline II / Carrerra builds like RON BURGUNDY'S and RATTY'S shown below (hope you don't mind me showing your pics dudes  :daumenhoch:)
and it seems, unless my eyes are deceiving me, that the shape of the dropouts are different on the early models?

AM I CORRECT IN MY OBSERVATIONS??????

I don't want to do a full resto until I'm sure the forks I have to go with my Candy frame are correct!!   :(

Have a look at the pics below and see what you all think??

Also, if I have the wrong forks, would anyone be interested in doing a trade against my MINT rechromed ones (I can put on the Red/Yellow Fade decals if ya like too) or does anyone have the correct fork for sale?

Please help guys cos this is doin my head in   :idiot2:   Ron's and Ratty's Redlines are the last 2 pics  :daumenhoch:

Cheers

John

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Redline PL20 Carrerra Question for the EXPERTS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:15 PM »
From memory the Pro line 1s had the triangular drop outs same as MX11, The PL20 drop outs were the tear shaped ones. They were liable to crack and break so I can only presume the design changed at some time. The other thing that changed was the headtube length, later pro lines (not sure when) changed to a 4" headtube instead of a 5" headtube. Fiolas lovechild has a 4" headtube PL20.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

steve Beech TA

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Wow they are cracking frames :smitten: who did the chrome for you.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Nah Ratty,

You're getting my Candy frame confused with the Gen 1 Proline which had the 5 inch headtube and MXII dropouts - that was the one with the teardrop MXII style forks. My candy frame is the first of the Proline II/Carrera frames with the flat rear dropouts and tapered front forks. The issue is the "shape of the dropouts on the tapered forks. The dropouts on my tapered forks seem to continue under the fork ends whilst the dropouts on your tapered forks look smaller to me??? Please could you have a look at your fork dropouts and compare them to mine shown in the photo?

Steve - I had my chrome plating done at SH Metal finishing, here's the details, you need to speak to a guy called Len

TELEPHONE-0161-371-1876 MOB07944-085203 FAX-0161-285-0765 E-MAIL - leonard.hughes1@ntlworld.com our address is SH METAL FINISHING UNIT3 145 OLD LANE OPENSHAW MANCHESTER11 1DD LANCS

John

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Both of my bikes have the same drop out as your picture...

Later bikes have beefier fork shoulders and thicker drop outs.

:)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me Ron.... I just wasn't sure  :daumenhoch:

By the way.... I reckon your Blue Proline is the best lookin build in the history of this website... fookin love it  :smitten:

Cheers

John

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00 PM »
John,was it Len that did the chrome on the Powerlite I had from you?......if it was,Len do'es a fantastic job.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Yeh man.... he did the Powerlite I sold you.... have ya built it up yet buddy?  :daumenhoch:

Any pics?

John

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Yep,all built John,i do owe you a couple of pics.Will have to get the eldest to do it for me though,so please bear with me.  :daumenhoch:

Dave.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline PL20 Carrerra Question for the EXPERTS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx