gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 09:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Stabilizers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stabilizers  (Read 1091 times)

nhoj

Stabilizers
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:13 PM »
How old were your kids when you got them riding a bike with-out stabilizers.

After seeing the little uns on there bikes at MK I tried my lad whose 4.5 years with-out stabilizers at the weekend.

He got up the drive and back down with me holding him, then said he was to scared and walked off!!!!!!!! ::) kids, don't you love them!!

I won't be pushing him into it but wondered when your kids had started? :)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28 PM »
well bailee was 18 months .but im sure hes gifted lol
he then taught me eldest to ride she was 6 at the time

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50 PM »
don't even put stabilizers on, kids get use to them and its then hard to get them off
just take the pedals off let them scoot the bike helps them with the balancing once confident
put the pedals on

nhoj

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34 PM »
I was thinking this my self, but its too late, he's been riding with them for afew years!!!! :-\

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Eldest was just under 4, remember going to centre parcs when he was 2 and all he did was 1/2 a pedal forwards and then back not a full rotation, very frustrating. Youngest didn't show as much interest, came off just after his 4th birthday.
Although he has started racing now and seems to enjoy it.

ROX

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10 AM »
My youngest was 3 when she could ride without stabilisers.

My Dad once told me that when a child can balance a scooter, then they can balance a bike, so when she'd been razzing around on her mini-scooter for a week or so we tried her without stabilisers on her bike and boom, rode almost straight away!

My other 3 kids were more sort of normalish ages, 4 or 5 as I remember.

steve Beech TA

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36 AM »

I have to agree with rox, Luke looked as if he was never going to get on two wheels. i tried but he was to scared and all over the shop so i left it. then he got a scooter and road this to school and got really good on it, then one day i thought right its time to get him on two wheels so i put some magic grips on his bike(a pair of toadstools) and took the stabilizers of and gave him ago. I could not believe it he just whent of on it, i was gob smacked. and dead chuffed he was 5 1/2 though. This was a flook i did not know about the scooter thing but it must be true.

muttley

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Sunday morning, 1st attempt without stabilisers, 3 years old,

this is the result of a few months on one of these:

Cant reccomend them highly enough.

jody

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Hi,
My youngest girl is 6 and I just removed her stabilisers, and I'm having to hold on to the saddle just to balance her :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:40 PM »
muttley you selling that bike as could use one for riley soon lol

Lil Gashead

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 08:08 PM »
i was about 4 1/2 !!

ih had a gt blaze and i love it too bits!! :smitten:

ollie

magna13

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:10 PM »
GT Blaze... I Defo Remember Them!  :daumenhoch:

Lil Gashead

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 08:15 PM »
mint they were :daumenhoch:

ive still got it but me cranks a bit dodgy and its quite small :4_17_5:

ollie!!

ps im in greece :daumenhoch: and im not lying :LolLolLolLol:

nhoj

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Ha, thought I would drag this post back out.

I backed right off with the riding thing for my son, even more so with the weather being poor for the last few months and him falling off with the stabilizers on!!!!!!!!

Any way, we went out yesterday after school and he picked it up within 5mins :D

Went out again tonight after he asked and he's sorted, I'm well chuffed :D

Just got to make sure he wins at MK this year now >:D!!!!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Beth was 4 and Ciaran 5  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Bushwacked

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Nice one - great to see the riding unassisted!

Had my daughter on one of those scooter bikes since she was 2 and now she's 4 and a half just bought her a bike with pedals - she's picked it up straight away - took her "off road" on Friday - third time on the bike with pedals and she loved it.

She can't start that well but once she's going she's awesome!

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Those scoot things look great.

My eldest (boy) was slow in starting.  Just got in a radge with himself when he faltered and that slowed the time he would spend on the bike in one go.  I think he was well over 5 when he could ride.

Then he moved up from 16" to 20" wheels when he got bigger and he lost his confidence again and that bike sat unused for a year!  It was peer pressure of the other kids in the street that made him want to start riding again.

My girls were earlier.  One of them was before 5 and she taught herself one day.  She just had the bike on the grass and kept picking herself up until she could do it.  Her shins were black and blue that night.  Girl no.2 took a while to catch up but they are about on a par now.

proclass35

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26 AM »
My daughter Alice asked me to remove her stabilisers at the Cheddar national last year (wanting to ride like my son and his freinds), she'd just turned 4. She rode straight away from me no problem, and by the afternoon she was standing up whilst riding, again copying all the other riders. A month later she was on the gate at Preston on her Redline micro and did her first full race meeting, followed by one at Lytham. She was also managing full laps of Coppull and Peterborough (even I struggle with that), but at Peterborough she fell off and I think it put her off a bit. Over winter she's lost interest a little bit and she's now took up ballet on saturday mornings (kids eh?). Saturday afternoons she coaches Moley for an hour or two. Moley- Alice says your snaps progressing well.... if you were starting a toboggan. Now if you could just get both feet up, you've cracked it :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Stabilizers

gfxgfx
gfx gfx