gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old school riders still sponsored?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old school riders still sponsored?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Old school riders still sponsored?
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:18 AM »
I put this as a reply in the 'welcome Mr Fiola' thread, but Its on page 18 and thought it might spark some interesting debate - what do you think?

Here's a thought, I was thinking about how many people  have had such a huge influence on BMX and shaped the way it is today in auch a massive way that without them, we'd be nothing. I was thinkng of people like Greg hving to scrimp and save to buy a new school bike, and Andy waiting to get the bike he really wanted, etc etc...
Here's my thought - Take Eddie Fiola as an example - if I was the owner of one of the very successful BMX comapanies out there right now, and I had some complete bikes in my range, or custom built bikes, then I would not hesitate for ONE second to pay out of the company's pocket a free bike, or frame, or whatever the sopmeone like Eddie needed to keep riding, and I'd maintain that free flow for as long as he wanted to ride. People like Eddie and others of his kind deserve a little coomething back for helping create the BMX world we know so well today.
Im afraid I dont own a bike company, but Eddie, Greg, Andy, Voelker, DMC, Blyther, Dominguez etc etc etc etc etc if I ever do [!!] you know where to come for a bike!
perhaps Voelker still gets a GT flow, Im not sure, but I though tId use this as a talking point!
steve
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:37 PM by generallee »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Re: Old school riders still sponsored?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Hey Stevie...I hope all's well mate.

I've thought about this before, it's very interesting point.

I completely agree, without these people the sport wouldn't be where it is now. I'm the same, if I was a successful bike/BMX company owner I wouldn't hesitate in giving a bike or at the very least a F&F and bars etc. to someone like Dominguez, or some UK riders as well. They should be respected more for their history with the sport. That's one of the soar points with me with many of the new school riders. They have no knowledge of the history of our sport. If these people were still involved and in some wat still getting stuff from bike comanies it would enhance the sports history and therefore make more of the new school riders aware. Which I feel would be good for the sport!

I do know of one example of a very prominant UK rider asking a bike comany if they could help him and he was turned down - very sad!!!

Good thread by the way mate.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

rosscoe

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:30 PM »
its all about the $$$s and the £££s and marketing and image etc etc etc etc

you know that

most trendy ones wouldnt touch a brand with a 40 year old (old enough to be their dad) sitting on it.......no matter how much they did for the sport

harsh, but thats business

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:42 PM »
rosscoe youre right, but im sure there are still a few companies out there, run by people with roots, who ight feel the saem way as me. Note that this thread is really about what I'D do if I owned a company. If comapnies were concerned about image etc, they wouldnt even have to advertise the fact that a 40 year old legend is getting flow products. If it were me, Id just send them the stuff in the happy knowledge Id be giving something back to someone who 'gave' so much to me.
Flatcap, I'd love to know who the UK rider was...
Also, I really do feel that our own BillStup is worthy of some flwo - wouldnt it have been cool if Skyway had sorted out their old team riders with an anniversary frame - or even better - bring out a new school frame - I know for sure Billy would ride anythin modern with Skyway's name on it!

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:01 PM »
... considering how big the Old School following is I'd love to buy one of the old "names" (ie Hutch, General etc that are now defunct) and launch a few retro look OS bikes with updated geometry (ie longer TT), pop 'em under a few old school heros, and sit back & have a laugh!

Dunno how many will sell on the open market, but I reckon an Old School Signature model wouldn't do to badly.

I heard it said once "to make a fortune in the bicycle business, you need to start with a bigger fortune"... but something like this would be a labour of love only I reckon.

Broggie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:06 PM »
However right you are rosscoe...its about time companies realised that not every item they sell is bought by 13 year olds.  Personally I'd rather buy a bike, or part that was associated with someone like Bill, simply because to us he'd tell it like it is.

My money's just as good as any 13 year olds.

Ray.

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:14 PM »
its a sad thing but the vast majority of kids today couldn't give 2 fooks about the originators
of the things they are into now,be it music bmx or any other sport. 

firebird4130

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:27 PM »
that's weird you mentioned a new school skyway I was thinking about that the other day.

jedi

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:45 PM »
i been thinking this too.

atkins is entering the worlds vert.i think its marketable.
i also think an old/midschool tour should happen.if things work out for me i may arrange an old school contest/jam/gathering

rosscoe

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49 PM »
However right you are rosscoe...its about time companies realised that not every item they sell is bought by 13 year olds.  Personally I'd rather buy a bike, or part that was associated with someone like Bill, simply because to us he'd tell it like it is.

My money's just as good as any 13 year olds.

Ray.

couldnt agree about the 13 yr olds more matey, and were on this forum for the same reasons

and the comments about flow but no show is cool too.......but business is business

I still ride, but cant think of any original (old school) company whose bikes I would ride now, even if they did a retro version...have I been influenced too? maybe

Its slightly related but for those of you who can remember the last time Mark Atkins rode Southsea comp.......clearly marked down due to his 'old school' style - media influence?? who knows. Same sort of thing I guess

But will somebody look after him this year???  ;)

jedi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:27 PM »
either way mark will ride for the buzz and with the noise!  :)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:39 PM »
i been thinking this too.

atkins is entering the worlds vert.i think its marketable.
i also think an old/midschool tour should happen.if things work out for me i may arrange an old school contest/jam/gathering
an old/mid school tour - ?
look no further than the Old FOols BMX Roadtrips I oprganise right here on Rad - lots of old and mid school riders on a trip together still riding!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Bof is sponsered by Tena, has been since the MD saw this ghastly sight

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

keep it lit!

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56 PM »

^^^^^^^ mint   :LolLolLolLol:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04 AM »
I'm sponsored by Strongbow and VodkaRedBull.
Does that count?

Or is it because of the Strongbow and the VodkaRedBull that I have a sponsor?

At least I think that's what he's called....

union

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 12:07 AM »
this is not exactly true tho , i can think of 3 examples- fbm gives dmc bikes and t-1 was giving blyther frames at one point, so there are probably more and you dont know about em.fids gets s&m stuff still and he's nearly 40. im sure i could think of more in time.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 04:49 AM »
 i think Blyther is riding a 2 hip frame.

"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:23 AM »
thats cool, I had no idea about the FBM/DMC thing, nor the blyther deal etc. T! and FBM are cool too, im sure they respect their roots!

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04 PM »
According to this article in Jan 2007: http://www.fatbmx.com/modules/news/article.php'storyid=2385
DMC hadn't had an offer from a bike company in 4 years - that's ageist for sure!!!
DMC is 41 now and still blows sponsored kids half his age off the pipe! I was watching some Dew Tour footage on EX channel & he got 4th.
I dunno what's up with 37 year old Jamie Bestwick but he's off GT and looks like he's also without a bike sponsor - but he won the Tour.
 :knuppel2:

username

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I read an interview with Simon Tabron and he was saying how much of a relief it was to NOT have a bike sponsor, I would imagine he is not the only one who feels that way.

I know Mike Dominguez was recently in the Odyssey offices and I doubt he would have left there emptyhanded. Also I would expect if Blyther asked Sunday for a frame he would get what ever he wanted seeing as he is the direct reason for Sunday's warm red colorway and they were so proud to admit it!

I'd bet a whole load of product is flowed that we just don't hear about.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I'd bet a whole load of product is flowed that we just don't hear about.

I expect you're probably right Dave.

I even got some really cool Action Zone bars from a nice guy down your way.  ;)

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

yoda

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29 PM »
To be honest the way I see it back in the day because of the size of the industry on our little Island coupled with the attitudes of some people involved in the bicycle industry, riders always had a pretty raw deal. Every penny I ever earned as a rider was done so by doing shows or winning the odd comp (prize money in small amounts) Maybe a few racers and the odd freestyler had salary deals for riding for particular bike companies...not many though. Im sure this was not the case in the States. Read Hoffmans biography and see what Haro paid him to sign as an amature rider scary. I was aghast and shocked even though I know he was such an amazing rider.

This simply put everything into perspective for me when you look at opportunies. I don't live my life with regrets because you simply can't change the past...fact! You can only learn from it and move forward. It would have been nice to have had more business sense when I was 17...maybe I may have  sorted out better deals etc but im not so sure.

One thing for certain is that we all rode back then because we simply loved riding.... whether that was on the bike you scrimped and saved for doing odd jobs to buy or it was flowed by a sponsor.
Its much apprecieted when someone like Ian (4down) Stu (Seventies) or Carlo (Proper) flows a bit of discount my way. I dont ever think its my right to have that though....  ???

Broggie

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 05:21 PM »
It's nice to have that recognition though Dave  :daumenhoch:

Ray.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old school riders still sponsored?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx