gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 07:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Dew Tour / X -Games Park 'n' Street
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dew Tour / X -Games Park 'n' Street  (Read 2235 times)

muttley

Dew Tour / X -Games Park 'n' Street
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:41 AM »
So there i was yesterday watching an episode of 'LG 'Action sports blah blah blah' and Mark Webb and Ali Whitton were in the line up along side the like of Daniel Dhers etc. Now here's how i see it! Mark Webb is a friggin awsome rider and very technical and on a mini ramp or 'Proper Street Course' could probably beat the likes of Dhers and Spinner but this is never going to happen because judges want to see riders go big. Going big on park is now getting boring, i want to see more techy stuff but thats not going to get the judges excited and wont exaclty get you TV coverage either as i have seen on Extreme. So why not have a discipline which is 'Street' and one called 'Park' that way you could have Dhers and co doing there thing and over on Street you could have Webby, Whitton, Kimborugh etc doing what they do best, would be a lot more interesting thats for sure. You will have to excuse me if this is already done at the comps that dont get coverage but the only way i get to see stuff is on Extreme and its getting a bit sh!t now.    >:(

jedi

Re: Dew Tour / X -Games Park 'n' Street
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43 AM »
i prefered morgan wades run to dhers .whip to icepick etc...

muttley

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Yep!! Nice bit of tech in there and took the win which was good to see. Its the same with Vert too, when was the last time you saw a vert rider doing some nice lips tricks???   ???

jedi

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10 AM »
every tuesday at corby!

atkins rocking the lips tricks on vert  :) :)

evamedia

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Webb and Whitton aren't "street" riders, X games have done real street with stairs and rails and shit.

and as for vert, feeble grind or alley oop downside whip travelling about 15ft backwards, I know what I wanna see.

andy619

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Judges can be morons.  I went riding with Lee yesterday and was talking to some of the older kids (22-27) ::), UK riders like Mark Webb and Harry Main are not only the future of bmx, they are the now! <--- their words.  Television producers know best, I guess ???

DJ

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Having known Mark since he was an annoying kid & watching him grow into possibly the best bike rider on the planet (& I firmly believe that) I do think that when he broke his wrist in Cologne 2007 & missed the X-games just 2 weeks later was a big turning point for him. Watching the event back later, Mark would have clearly won & IF that had happened I believe it would have opened not only the gates for UK riders to dominate in that category but would have also opened the eyes of the blinkered judges....
Sat on the steps of the hotel at 5am (ish) in Montpellier, early last year having consumed vast amounts of Tenessee's finest Mark just turned round & said "you know what? with them fcukers dropping Park at X-Games they have taken away my dream, as much as I love riding my bike the one thing I REALLY wanted to do was win an X-Games gold medal..."

No offence to Harry, Ben Hennon, Ben Wallace or any other UK rider but none of them come close to Mark in ability, he has forgotten more tricks that any of them will even learn. He's currently in Greenville with Remo, riding at Mirra's place, then off down to Woodward.... He'll be at Dew Tour this year & he is there to win.

As for Dhers... He's a nice kid, whines like a bitch constantly & dances like Micheal Jackson but he needs something different. He is amazing at what he does BUT he can only do what he does, if you get me? The sooner judges get over it the better for everyone, it will open the field up more. These US based riders love coming to Europe to party & get lose but some of them hate the judging as its more pure meaning the likes of Dhers cant do his normal shit & win over here, he's really got to put the effort in, use the whole course, get some variety in there or the likes of Webb, Wallace, Main etc will & HAVE beaten him easily over here.

I think I should stop now.............

muttley

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Amen.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41 PM »

yep  :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 09:58 PM »

As for Dhers... He's a nice kid, whines like a bitch constantly & dances like Micheal Jackson but he needs something different. He is amazing at what he does BUT he can only do what he does, if you get me? The sooner judges get over it the better for everyone, it will open the field up more. These US based riders love coming to Europe to party & get lose but some of them hate the judging as its more pure meaning the likes of Dhers cant do his normal shit & win over here, he's really got to put the effort in, use the whole course, get some variety in there or the likes of Webb, Wallace, Main etc will & HAVE beaten him easily over here.

I think I should stop now.............

you should have been up top last year during the masters street finals, ONE, TWO THREE... count the tailwhips..
then there came an immortal comment  "that looked like it hurt, he was expecting foam"  no offence to the kid, but yes he needs to MIX IT!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Robots can't dance.

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22 PM »
been having this coversation quite a lot lately, i,m at  skateparks every week of the year and all i

see is clones, clones of fashion and the clones of the latest tricks,  slighty off topic to the thread

but we need a new morgan wade or clones of webbie, witch there aint, i'm with DJ on this one, every

contest is the same for dhers, i first saw him in 2007 and he was amazing, fast forward a year, same tricks

same style same run and now it's boring,

needs a change or change the judges :)
For powder coating drop me a pm

lodge

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51 PM »
Right or wrong watching bmx comps just doesn't seem to appeal to me anymore, it seems a bit like a circus to me, dont think i dont appreciate what the guys are doing on bmx bikes because i sincerely do, watching someone do a triple whip over a spine and completely miss the transition on landing looks horrible to me but it appears to win comps. I prefer to watch a natural flexible stylish smooth rider doing what he loves on his bmx, sorry but yet again i will say his name chase hawk in his words he doesn't really do tricks but i would much rather watch him doing tables all day than watch a bmx comp. I'm not anti comps or progression but much of it looks unatural if you know what i mean and of course its good riders can if their lucky make a living riding bmx's.
Sorry if my opinion offends but i'm being honest.
Anyone who competed bitd will know that back then it was no different we were learning tricks purely to do well in comps, the tricks were not fun to do but if you wanted to do well you had to learn them which for me kinda contradicted the very reason any of us started riding bmx's in the first place.

Andy

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:08 AM »
I agree witht he above post chase hawk rules as does mikey aitken, all the tech stuff webby does and dhers etc etc is a bit to circus like for me, smooth flow with plenty of go does it for me

christhejob

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:44 AM »
so i have spent 26 years learning nosepicks decades and peg grinds to win contests have I?  utter hairy bollax
yes some riders are about flow bla bla bla but believe me TRIX R 4 KIDZ!

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:58 AM »
2008 x games big air,makes a change from watching vert,street & dirt

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 09:01 AM »
me personally  i would LOVE to see some ramps removed opening up a larger central area.
and get some techy flat moves combined ..not aka flatland but a colabiration of ramp with rolling balance
straight back to ramp .

teamsano

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:35 PM »
these are tv contests, the judges scores are reflected on spectacular stuff that joe bloggs at home will appreciate.

sure dbl whip tyretaps are hard, but your dad will probs appreciate a 6" high backflip more.

jedi

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 06:44 PM »
i liked the super park personally but feel unless they make runs longer, the lip/tech tricks will take a back seat

evamedia

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 07:30 PM »
these are tv contests, the judges scores are reflected on spectacular stuff that joe bloggs at home will appreciate.

sure dbl whip tyretaps are hard, but your dad will probs appreciate a 6" high backflip more.

Fair point gogo, but they don't dumb down figure skating for TV, so why BMX

DJ

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13 PM »
The whole bullshit thing is creating a TV show at the end of the day, hence dropping Flatland, then Dirt & even though they re-instated it Vert not so long ago...
AS for Super Park, what a load of shit! Impressive sure but completely unreal, find me a place where there is ANY park like that course? Can you imagine that in a cold old warehouse in Wakefield? No.
Regular Park/Street was where is should have stayed, thats what BMX contests are, kids can go to the local park & learn this shit so they can be like the guys they look up to. They cant do that with Super Park can they? Super Park & Big Air are great for TV but bad for BMX.....

As for style over tricks.... I personally would rather watch Stefan Lancsther, Chase Hawk, Mike Miller etc than the likes of Dhers but from a contest point of view its virtually impossible to judge fairly between the 2. I think contests are for tricks, contests are for Mark Webbs, Daniel Dhers', Harry Mains etc.... Chase, Aitken etc couldnt give a fook... its just BMX for them, fun.
It makes sense in my head.....

lodge

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:35 PM »
so i have spent 26 years learning nosepicks decades and peg grinds to win contests have I?  utter hairy bollax
yes some riders are about flow bla bla bla but believe me TRIX R 4 KIDZ!

I'm sure you would have won comps if you were trying those moves in 1983.  ;D

dirtbro

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:39 PM »
well said DJ

bmxer4ever

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 09:46 PM »
me personally  i would LOVE to see some ramps removed opening up a larger central area.
and get some techy flat moves combined ..not aka flatland but a colabiration of ramp with rolling balance
straight back to ramp .

Ssshhhhh..... don't let the cat out the bag.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 09:47 PM »
 ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Dew Tour / X -Games Park 'n' Street

gfxgfx
gfx gfx