gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 05:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Bowl tips please . . .
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bowl tips please . . .  (Read 2167 times)

mamadirt

Bowl tips please . . .
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Finally plucked up the courage to try the bowl at my local concrete park today on the way home from work.  I wasn't too bothered about dropping in - more concerned that I wouldn't be able to get out again  ;) but anyway I rode around the outside a couple of times, rode in at an angle feeling pretty confident and the next thing I know I'm in but certainly not the right way up  :-[ (thank God the kids from the local comp had finished their lunch break).   Anyway. hey, at least I was in so what the heck, I had a bit of a roll around, managing to get higher until the time came to get out - with my confidence (and knees) rather bruised it took a few attempts to make it. 

The park is still pretty new and quite dusty . . . or maybe I'm just  making excuses.  I think maybe I didn't lean over enough when dropping onto the camber.  Any tips would be very gratefully received and hopefully put into practise once the swelling goes down  ;).

With grazed knees and elbows and a torn jacket . . . and I won't be changing my name to 'mamaconcrete' anytime soon  ;)

JT71

Re: Bowl tips please . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:57 PM »
ride faster, faster than you think and make sure you push the bars when your front wheel comes over the lip.

well done for getting in and having a go.

as for rolling in it's just commiting, maybe you straightened up a bit in your body as you went in, or lift the front and you rolled in and it just washed out?

where's the action photos? Dirt bike in bowl with you riding it?

and i hope you cleaned that mud off your tyres before getting in the bowl.  :daumenhoch:

Jedi taught me at Saffron Walden in the pool, scary.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:59 PM by JT71 »

JT71

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:00 PM »
oh and get pads.

Stodgy had a good deal on some a while back.

you do have a lid right?

:daumenhoch:

mamadirt

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Yeah, was wearing a lid but left the pads at home  ::) and the bike was 'clean as' at the park . . . just decided to take the scenic route home  ;).  Cheers for the tips - reckon you're right about the front wheel washing out - think I must have gone at it mtb-stylee with all my weight off the back.

As for the action pics - they are few and far between as I mostly ride alone, but I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:08 PM by mamadirt »

JT71

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:10 PM »
also are you tyres brand new?

and the bowl is nice and smooth?

you need to scrub your tyres on some a  carpark for half and hour, just ride round in circles and get em nice and scrubbed, i think there's some agent from the making process left on them that needs wearing off.

jedi

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:19 PM »
mama, come to novice night on the 28th or any tuesday at corby and i'll show ya!  :)

JT71

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 05:22 PM »
mama, come to novice night on the 28th or any tuesday at corby and i'll show ya!  :)

we are still talking BMX tips aren't we?  :daumenhoch:

but mamadirt, this man is a great teacher.  :daumenhoch:

mamadirt

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:28 PM »
 ;D . . . that novice night sounds great but sadly it's waay to far for me.  How about Sk8 Extreme in Newport as one for the future?

jedi

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29 PM »
where in wales are ya?

jedi

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29 PM »
or bristol ?

mamadirt

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:42 PM »
I'm in Newport . . . this is the concrete park.

And yes the tyres are pretty new, but I plan to put more than a bit of wear on them next week as I'm off work  :D  (maybe avoid the park though until the kids go back to school  ;)).

jedi

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 05:44 PM »
looks nice.  not very deep though.

mamadirt

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Plenty deep enough for me thanks  ;)  I think the indoor one at Sk8 E is a lot steeper . . . I did fancy a private hire evening there for my 50th but funnily enough none of my friends or family were interested  ;D . . . maybe work on them for the 60th eh?

jedi

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 05:51 PM »
lets do newport next novice then!

mamadirt

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Sounds good  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 06:24 PM »
You already did the hardest thing mate you went out and rode :daumenhoch:

Bushwacked

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:08 PM »
That looks nice - I know about the Bowls at Yate and Chepstow but not Newport (not that I've ridden any of them) so good to know more places to ride for summer on my side of the country (Essex and Sufolk always seem to have the best places!!  :'( ).

MamaD  -Would be happy to pop down and give you some tips when the weather gets better.

Like the idea of next Novice night at Newport - loads closer for me.  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10 PM »
newport and camping for the RAd summer novice night/day/event?

don't mind chipping in with the arranegments but we'll need some local knowledge.

mamadirt if it's not too rude to ask  a lady...how old are you?

(i'm guessing you're a lady since i posted the seat post to lynne)

mamadirt

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Not rude at all Joe, I'm 51 . . . . . going on 15  ;) and I've just been told off by my 82 year old mother when I showed her my swollen knee!

A local novice meet would be good - wouldn't want to be the only lady though . . . any other old girls out there?  I've got a couple of friends into mtbing but no luck as yet getting them on 20"ers.  I think my 3 sons were glad when they were old enough to stay home too and didn't have to go out riding with Mum.  Papadirt will do the occasional mtb ride with me and puts up with bike parts being strewn all over the house (gotta beat shoes and handbags I reckon).

You already did the hardest thing mate you went out and rode :daumenhoch:

Cheers  :daumenhoch:  I'll be back out again tomorrow (knee permitting) but as it's Fri 13th I may give the bowl a miss  ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:16 PM by mamadirt »

dodger

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Not rude at all Joe, I'm 51 . . . . . going on 15  ;) and I've just been told off by my 82 year old mother when I showed her my swollen knee!

A local novice meet would be good - wouldn't want to be the only lady though . . . any other old girls out there?  I've got a couple of friends into mtbing but no luck as yet getting them on 20"ers.  I think my 3 sons were glad when they were old enough to stay home too and didn't have to go out riding with Mum.  Papadirt will do the occasional mtb ride with me and puts up with bike parts being strewn all over the house (gotta beat shoes and handbags I reckon).

fair play to u for giving it a go! i would be up for a newport night as im only in bristol motion in bristol is to extream to learn in but from what i here newport is prety varied.

mamadirt

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27 PM »
I've not ridden at Sk8 Extreme - not been for a few years since my son used to be into skateboarding.  May be worth popping down for a look as it's only down the road from me . . . may look a little less conspicuous at my age if I leave the bike at home though  ;)

jedi

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29 PM »
you pnly grow old when you stop mama!  :)

mamadirt

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Too right Jedi - I don't see myself getting old anytime soon  ;D

jedi

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:36 PM »
<high 5>

Bushwacked

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I've heard Motion in Bristol is far too much for anyone who is just getting to grips with riding.

A bit of a Novice roadtrip in south Wales  / West Cun'ry would be good. Some good skate parks all in easy reach of each other from what I've heard. Joe - happy to help out wth getting some details sorted.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Bowl tips please . . .

gfxgfx
gfx gfx