gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 17, 2024, 11:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  KHE Anchor bar / stem combo...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: KHE Anchor bar / stem combo...  (Read 3139 times)

Steve Shindig

KHE Anchor bar / stem combo...
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Anyone running these things?   I can only find 7.7 inch rise ones, seems weird.  What's your thoughts?     

rarman1

Re: KHE Anchor bar / stem combo...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11 PM »
yeah man.... i though it was a awesome setup and considered buying but same as you can only find 7.7" ones

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_axVyzhGtado/SNuxZk5CxvI/AAAAAAAABMc/FNkzx-Aivao/s1600-h/interbike3.jpg

Steve Shindig

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Hopefully an 8incher will come out.  I don't think I'll risk the 7's

rarman1

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:23 PM »
yeah they have two sizes on the khe website 7.75 x 25 and 8.25 x 27.5,

just the smallers one seems to have made it to the uk though :(

i'm well tempted by them ::)

http://www.khebikes.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=531&Itemid=47

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I like those, they are like new skool Vectors  8)

Voodoocars

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:04 PM »
A lad at creation had them on his bike but binned them for a regular set up.He said they are really light but for some reason didnt like them.I'm tempted- 7.75 rise is ok for me.

dodger

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27 PM »

username

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Have any of the people thinking these are good actually seen inside the stem thing? The piece of the bars that is traditionally "clamped" just isn't there at all. So instead of 2 pieces of bar tubing there are 3 seperate pieces.

Doesn't seem too bright to me making the crux point of all the forces rely on two poxy welds, that unconnected will transfer all the load onto those two thin circular areas.

+ if (when, it's khe after all) they bust you need to buy a new complete bar/stem combo rather than seperate parts.

+ you have NO choice where to put your bars

+ if you bail, that constuction makes it much more likely for the forces of you bike hitting the ground to bend the bars as the energy has nowhere to go apart from those poxy welds where your handlebar and stem should be.

+ the stem is a thin welded up steel contraption with a seat-clamp inside to clamp the steerer.

As you can tell, I am not a fan.

Don't know why the pic doen't work ^^^^^
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_axVyzhGtado/SNuxDLAxaeI/AAAAAAAABLk/QLk4-52rrhM/s1600-h/interbike4.jpg
Here is the pic of the insides
and below one of the steerer clamp:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_axVyzhGtado/SNuxDge3zPI/AAAAAAAABLs/1zJjrRoKWKg/s1600-h/interbike5.jpg

Rob, remember your freecoaster (khe) at Saffy?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:25 AM by username »

username

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30 AM »
Just noticed on that Ison link they are £100 rrp. wtf? I am sure they missed a "W" off the beginning of the name.

lodge

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46 AM »
I love my redneck and slams too much to go for them but yeah they look nice, just looks like a oddy elementary stem (if you can call it a stem) one thing for sure your bars wont slip but if you dont like the bar position your fooked, my guess is that they will catch on and more manufactures will do similar set ups.
Gotta take your hat off to KHE their not afraid to try different stuff although much of it doesn't catch on but now again  their developments catch on in a big way.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:48 AM »
A great idea then,like the F-Set rotor?

username

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I love my redneck and slams too much to go for them but yeah they look nice, just looks like a oddy elementary stem (if you can call it a stem) one thing for sure your bars wont slip but if you dont like the bar position your fooked, my guess is that they will catch on and more manufactures will do similar set ups.
Gotta take your hat off to KHE their not afraid to try different stuff although much of it doesn't catch on but now again  their developments catch on in a big way.

The poo that I did this morning was more similar to an Elementary than that KHE monstrosity.

If they wanted to get any credit for trying something new they should have approached the problem from a new perspective rather than trying to make a combo that looked like a set of regular bars in a Odyssey stem. A modern take on Vectors/ Swiss Miss would still be shite but at least it would have been slightly more sensible.

If they just had to do it that bad they should have had the bars come straight from the steerer to where the grips are. Why go out then up? Just go from A-B. All that extra machining, for what? It looks like shit!

A great idea then,like the F-Set rotor?

Simply craptacular like their 14mm Street Freecosters.

DJ

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Ben Hennon summed it up best when he said "uurrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh"  :LolLolLolLol:

chromeOrange

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I like the fact that KHE are willing to experiment and try different things and I don't know the laws of engineering and mechanics as well as some, but over on BMX forum (UK site) there's been more than a few threads about these things just not being up to the job it seems.

Just one look at them and it isn't hard to imagine that they would easily break under hardcore riding. They've had a few fork issues too I think...

Mark.

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Another product that would suit smooth riders?  good to innovate and try new things, but if people do break them they won't want to keep paying out that much

bailing and then having to straighten your bars and stem with a hex key doesn't cost anything, and the fact that in a heavy crash your bars will probably move should mean that they don't have as much stress put on thenm as they would if they were anchored to the stem.  could a really heavy slam on the khe set up also damage your steerer or head tube - just wondering

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 02:43 PM »
 Not knocking KHE-they`ve always been a bit quirky.This setup will either go the same way as the F-Set or be reasonably successful.Can`t help thinking they`d be more popular if the bars had some degree of adjustability.As for the price-what`s a set of bars and a stem cost anyway...

lodge

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 04:15 PM »

bailing and then having to straighten your bars and stem with a hex key doesn't cost anything, and the fact that in a heavy crash your bars will probably move should mean that they don't have as much stress put on thenm as they would if they were anchored to the stem.  could a really heavy slam on the khe set up also damage your steerer or head tube - just wondering

I would say in a heavy slam or throwing your bike its much more likely that your bars will bend before they slip I'm pretty smooth and certainly not a burly rider but I always seem to have bent bars, I have never had my bars slip since the 80's.
As for the steerer/headtube being damaged its a case of the weakest point will give first which will usally be the bars bending, for sure the combo set up will bend like any traditional bars. this is obviously just my take.

Tbone

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 03:03 AM »
I have a set in 8.25 i ordered from Germany, been running them for 2-3 weeks now and i must say, they feel great, though you do feel a lil flex landing from something big, but they havent bent or snapped yet! Keeping my slams and elementry just incase though!

username

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 03:16 AM »
I have a set in 8.25 i ordered from Germany, been running them for 2-3 weeks now and i must say, they feel great, though you do feel a lil flex landing from something big, but they havent bent or snapped yet! Keeping my slams and elementry just incase though!

How big is your "big"?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33 AM »
i wouldnt run them on a general street ,park bike just as khe have always catered for flat then flatland only if i did ever get a set.
but dought i would tbh.

Tbone

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 06:27 PM »

How big is your "big"?

10 set or more, but only fell it if its to flat.

reay900tap

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59 PM »
It is true that KHE have produced some ideas that have not been that great..

but some have been, their tyres for me, are great! as long as you choose the correct tyres for your riding they made your bike feel awsome.

this bar stem combo they have out at the moment can not please everyone, can any part?
one thing for sure is KHE's passion for improvement.. heres their interbike vid.

http://www.vitalbmx.com/videos/features/Interbike-2008-KHE,16705/Interbike-2008-KHE,4352/GlennPPMilligan,1772

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 04:05 PM »
thats the freecoaster im after next  adjustable  on the bike.

darkersomeday

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 05:00 PM »
personally i've always loved that about khe, they always come up with new directions and idea's

and folk forget quite how long they've been in bmx!

the silent cassette hub for me please,

wanted one badly for years,

if that comes out i'll buy one straight away,

new bb looks interesting too, bush bearings eh? ???

Voodoocars

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I was on a bike today that had these anchor bars on.They were the bigger size.A bit big for me but I could flex them real easy while just sitting on the bike.And it looks odd when you look down 'cause the stem part has a big hole in it and you can see the front tire. The set up is ok if you run an Oddy elementry and have your bars in line with the head tube as its exactly the same.If you run a regular offset stem it will seem different tho'. I'm still not sure - I would never break a set and it would have been good to check out the smaller size. Is it worth £100 to try? Could always sell on I guess...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  KHE Anchor bar / stem combo...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx