gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  BMX Freestyle magazine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Freestyle magazine  (Read 2339 times)

mixjp

BMX Freestyle magazine
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Please help...................has anyone got a copy of BMX Freestlye magazine with the results of the Amature Freestyle competition, that was held in Bristol, back in 84? I think that it might be issue 21 but couldn't be positive.
If anyone can help in anyway, I would be really grateful

Thanks

JP :)

bmxer4ever

Re: BMX Freestyle magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Please help...................has anyone got a copy of BMX Freestlye magazine with the results of the Amature Freestyle competition, that was held in Bristol, back in 84? I think that it might be issue 21 but couldn't be positive.
If anyone can help in anyway, I would be really grateful

Thanks

JP :)

The Bmx Freestyle you're lookin' for is probably here somewhere, but this should do in the meantime....

G

mixjp

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for your help. Here's another little bit of info for you. It was the second year that they run the competition. The first year they had a quarter pipe that was like a 50 pence piece and I came no-where. The second year, Craig Campbell was a judge and they had a good quarter pipe and trick ramp.
I'm not sure whether that will help you or not.

If you manage to find it, I'll give you first refusal, when I finally decide to sell my old Haro. It's been totally restored. Just look at this for class. It's different in the fact that it has GT Santa Ana forks. They were a lot lighter than the old Haro ones

Regards

Jason
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:26 AM by mixjp »

moley

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:36 AM »
This is a piccy of the front cover from www.23mag.com

issue 21 - december 1985 january 1986 (1)
1985 King Of Skatepark finals, Pipeline California.
Test du cadre freestyle Peugeot 531,
Amateur UK freestyle championships,...

I've got it but it hasn't been scanned in yet!!

I've been too busy (and lazy)!!  :-[

If I can find Vol1 Issue 18 then I might be tempted to complete all of the scans for Freestyle BMX Volume 1 Issues 1-44!!

If I get it scanned then I'll let you know!!

I might even have a spare copy.  PM me tonight to remind me!!  :daumenhoch:

mixjp

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I've got some up the loft somewhere but not the one I want. I'll see what there is and email them to you. I also have a signed poster of Craig Campbell (should anyone want it. Ha ha)
Bring on MK09

moley

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for sending the pics Jason. 

They are too good not to post.  So here they are :-

Jason's BMX

Jason's OS Pics

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:54 AM by moley »

bmxer4ever

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:42 PM »

Eveeeeeeeryone is riding Skyways...

G

moley

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I've just scanned it!!

mixjp came in 24th (Jason Petchell) ahead of Greg Guillotte!  :daumenhoch:

Guillotte

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50 AM »

G

OMG! Gary blessed this request without a neon-yellow scrolling reminder! I love me some Forsythe! Now I just need to travel back in time so's I can stop that physician who robbed me of future opportunities to scream about how much I love my forskyn.

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Now you've got me confused - the BMX Bi-Weekly shows the Bristol comp that me and Faze7-Dave entered (I'm doing the ramp endo in the competition shots, and Dave came 5th as shown the results of the 14+ age group). The Freestyle BMX mag has a different set of results - was that a different competition at the same venue ?
Or a different year perhaps - I think we did the comp in '84 but does anyone remember ? When we did it the winner got a place on the Skyway team. Are the top set of results from '84, and the second set from a year later (it says '85 on the results page from Freestyle BMX) ?

Here are some shots of the comp during practice, and one of Dave that made it into a later mag (I'm pretty sure there wasn't many people at the comp who could do a one hand one foot air, and this was the 1st shot of a UK rider doing it in a UK mag, I think). That ramp was sooooooo skinny !

Dave in practice

Me in practice

Dave in Mag
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:38 AM by Faze7-Ade »

moley

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:18 AM »
The 1st set of results dont match up to the 1985 ones from Freestyle BMX Vol 1 Issue 21

You can download the magazine and other mags, books etc, etc at http://www.bmx-recollection.com

I've been looking for the BMX Biker Monthy A-Z of Freestyle Special.   You dont of anyone who would like to flog me a copy!!  Failing that, a scan of the mag would be good too!  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:11 AM »
The comp you posted pics of practice is 1984, the 85 comp used the skyway ramps as the skyway team were doing demo's between comp runs.

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:55 PM »
The 1st set of results dont match up to the 1985 ones from Freestyle BMX Vol 1 Issue 21

You can download the magazine and other mags, books etc, etc at http://www.bmx-recollection.com

I've been looking for the BMX Biker Monthy A-Z of Freestyle Special.   You dont of anyone who would like to flog me a copy!!  Failing that, a scan of the mag would be good too!  :daumenhoch:

Sorry - I've only got the page from that mag, as we kept all of the press stuff & photos from the team in a big scrap book. I can't even remember which mag it was from (Bi-Weekly maybe ?).

The comp you posted pics of practice is 1984, the 85 comp used the skyway ramps as the skyway team were doing demo's between comp runs.

Thanks for clearing that one up - it makes sense now  :daumenhoch:

mixjp

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I finally managed to upload a picture. What do you think of my new (old) Haro?

Here's a little bit of the spec:
85 Haro Master Frame, GT Santa Ana forks (Haro ones are too heavy), Single pinch flight cranks with Tioga power disc & suntour 44 tooth chain ring, Skyway Tuff II's, GT tyres, Odyssey calipers with tech 3 levers, Haro bars, DB mini stem, ODI mushroon II's, Odyssey gyro, Odyssey seat clamp, GT laid back post with a pretty dodgy BMX seat and I think that's about it. The pedals are crappy Wellgo, but I'll be changing them as soon as I am allowed (you all know how women can be). She still moans at me that it's still in the house. Like I'm gonna put it in the garage. As if.......................

Any comments are welcome

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:33 PM by mixjp »

bmxer4ever

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 04:14 PM »

G

OMG! Gary blessed this request without a neon-yellow scrolling reminder! I love me some Forsythe! Now I just need to travel back in time so's I can stop that physician who robbed me of future opportunities to scream about how much I love my forskyn.

:LolLolLolLol:

...............I was in  a hurry Greg...............

bmxer4ever

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Now you've got me confused - the BMX Bi-Weekly shows the Bristol comp that me and Faze7-Dave entered (I'm doing the ramp endo in the competition shots, and Dave came 5th as shown the results of the 14+ age group). The Freestyle BMX mag has a different set of results - was that a different competition at the same venue ?
Or a different year perhaps - I think we did the comp in '84 but does anyone remember ? When we did it the winner got a place on the Skyway team. Are the top set of results from '84, and the second set from a year later (it says '85 on the results page from Freestyle BMX) ?

I think you're right. I was in a hurry scanning them and didn't notice that at frist.
A lot of those mags didn't have dates or years on them.
If I find any other stuff from the '84 comp, I'll try and post it here...

G

mixjp

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Yeah, you're right. The first comp was in 84 and the quarter pipe was like a 50 pence piece and really thin. The one I was after, was the 85 comp. It was the same venue down by the docks in Bristol.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  BMX Freestyle magazine

gfxgfx
gfx gfx